Is there a way to sort rotten DVDs?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Is there a way to sort rotten DVDs?

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Been looking at my finances in reguards to cars and it made me feel like a bit of NFS Pro Street ( yes yes we know its like Chavs the game, stop moaning at the back there) so I popped my old PC copy in and installed it, now the really long install time even on a now very aged Tower should have been a dead give away but I let it get on with it and popped off to the loo, come back and yay its all done so get it to eventually load up and away we go, intro race it ran nicely with no issues really to mention, get to the first proper career event, complete the race and then it wont move from there, it doesnt freeze as such as the irritating DJ still yammers, the Camera does its dramatic jaunty angles and the noise is there each time I hit continue but it just doesnt go no further.
Pop the disc out and find it dirty and then I spotted a nice patch of rot on the data level.
Now my question is can I fix it and get the game to continue or should I just try and find a cheap replacement?
Watching you sleep since 1990

Liamh1982

Re: Is there a way to sort rotten DVDs?

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:04 am

If it's on the data layer then I believe the technical term is "fooked".
Considering how ridiculously cheap most old PC games are and the ready availability of most NFS titles - just checked, it's less than two quid on Amazon.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:06 am

Lots of games shops hae a dvd cleaning machine for games and dvds. CEX charges based on how scratched/,arked the disc in question is, upto a max £3.

Sadly I paid top dollar - all £3 - to have one of my fave dvds cleaned, and it still didnt work. If there were marks on the data layer, they should have told me that it was unfixable. So yes, my disc was technically "fooked" to begin with

The Hobgoblin

Post by The Hobgoblin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Are these machines that are meant to remove scratches no good then, like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Innovat ... ch+remover

Or this.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disc-Protector- ... ch+remover

Ive always just used brasso or t-cut on mine and had mixed results. :lol: :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:49 pm

^ They're reasonably effective at treating light surface scratches but they'll do diddly squat if any kind of damage occurs to the data layer i.e. the ultra-thin bit of polycarbonate backed with aluminium for the laser to reflect off - or dye in the case of recordable discs.

Rot is most common in my experience in early CD-Rs (the "gold" ones) but can occur in any optical disc. The risk is minimised by looking after them properly but even that is not 100% effective.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks guys, It had just litrally been cased on a shelf for ages as the laptop didnt like it (Which naturally has broke again and typically a not common part) and the tower was down for so long.
Ill just sling it then and replace it, shame though as I got this one release day and even had a Initial D replica AE86.
Watching you sleep since 1990