Who'd Be a 1970s/80s BBC Personality Now

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SCALEBACK

Who'd Be a 1970s/80s BBC Personality Now

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Now that Dave Lee Travis has been found guilty of something that happened years ago, all these accusations against Jimmy Saville came to light after his death and Rolf Harris has been banged up, it seems that NO BBC personality (even if totally innocent) from the 70/80s is safe from the self appointed witch hunters in the newspapers. All it takes is for somebody who was a kid in the 80s to tell the newspapers that such and such a BBC presenter touched them uo or tried to rape them and the newspapers'd automatically assume the celebrity to be guilty and they wouldn't get a fair trial due to all the publicity and the newspapers claiming victims (which they make up) have 'come forward'.

At least Gary Glitter and Stuart hall admitted it.

thingonaspring

Re: Who'd Be a 1970s/80s BBC Personality Now

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:26 am

Not wishing to make too light of what is a very serious situation, but Gary Glitter must be a bit happier these days, he must have been thinking it was about time some of the other's got caught, too.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:51 am

Some of these celebrities are deffo guilty - but some of this is just a witch hunt to get money out of them. DLT - yeah, we all know that women/girls throw themselves at stars (my mum worked from the age of 15 - 21 at the Pavilion in Bournemouth... she knows exactly what went on!) - but for these women to suddenly come forward and take DLT to court and most probably destroy his life is mad. There is no evidence. Just the word of one against the other. With all the media hype, it is all getting swayed towards 'GUILTY' even before the court case has happened.
How can a Jury avoid all of this? How can it not sway them? I'd hate to be a celebrity - from the 70's to today because there is no telling who is going to pop up crying 'he grabbed my jugs'!

Who next? Cliff Richard was all over the news a few weeks back - there was a kind of backlash against how it was done and its all gone quiet.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 am

Its a difficult one. If your daughter from say 20 years ago suddenly said 'remember that radio 1 roadshow i went to, **** put his hands up my skirt...' you would be mad as anything.

Some people didnt come forward as when they did the tabloids/BBC etc didnt take them seriously. Now all this has come to light more people are reporting things as they are being taken seriously.

Also a lot of these cases dont even involve money so its not someone after money after all these years. I'm sure the police listen to evidence from quite a few people (its not just one person as then its his word against hers) and they're trained to try and see who is telling the truth and who is telling porkies, perhaps when a lot of stories match or personal things about the celeb in question that other people dont know about.

But we dont know the evidence so how do you know whats been said and what hasnt ? None of us know so you cant say 'there is no evidence'. Highly trained court officials/police have gone through hours of interviews to try and see if there is a case, think its bad to say theres no evidence whatsoever.

Cliff Richard rumours have circulated for years, the way his 'name' was on that list back in the late 70's at that dodgy house in London where celebs slept with young boys etc is obviously bad as anything.

Sadly there might be a couple of idiots thinking 'i might try and get some money from all of this' which taint it totally, but a lot of the people who have come forward arent after money, just want justice. Again imagine if it was your daughter who said something after all these years, i doubt you would say 'are you sure ? just your word against his, come on lets forget it...'

But again we dont know the full evidence so how do we know who is 'deffo guilty' and who isnt. Most of us just guess by looking at them as we dont know the full stories

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 am

Yeah, I see that. I'd love to see/hear what the evidence was in the DLT case though. 2 counts dropped and on passed as guilty 8 - 2 by jury.......

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:28 am

The news papers do it to increase circulation numbers and whip the people up into mindlessly supporting them
If it ever came down to trial by media then god help us all (the media fuelled video nasty scare after the James Bulger murder is a classic example).
E.G. Hungerford Massacre. Despite having absolutely no evidence at all the newspapers decided that the film Rambo was solely responsible.
Columbine: DOOM (I played this several times but couldn't find any pipe bombs)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 am

markopoloman wrote:Yeah, I see that. I'd love to see/hear what the evidence was in the DLT case though. 2 counts dropped and on passed as guilty 8 - 2 by jury.......
Yeah i was surprised at that, like i say i would actually find these trials fascinating hearing all the evidence etc. I mean the stuff about Rolf Harris was huge, so many people, so much evidence yet still he never apologised. Considering her daughters friend was a victim i'm stunned she stood by him

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

I'll bet you any money that Noel Edmonds makes the papers in the next couple of months - watch this space...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Feel or no feel

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:I'll bet you any money that Noel Edmonds makes the papers in the next couple of months - watch this space...
I'll be the editors of the newspapers'll draw a random name out of a hat and I've said this on another forum (Anybody else on here gaving touble getting back into Digital Spy's General Discussion forums after being logged out?) Who's next on the list and no 70s/80s BBC personality is safe from the self appointed paedo hunters, judges and juries in the newspapers when circulation numbers are at stake.
All it takes is just one false allegation about something that happed thirty or fourty years ago made up by som star struck groupie who couldn't get her way and careers're over and lives're ruined. Innocent people have been, had their lives destroyed, marriages wrecked, kids taken away from them, lost their job, hounded out of their own homes and driven to suicide as a result and good teachers have been sacked from their jobs by such allegations as well.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

The media plays everyone to sell papers or make money. Remember when Jo Yeates went missing and cctv showed her buying a pizza, thats all they had...yet suddenly a picture of her landlord was put on a paper and he was torn apart -he looks like a paedo/murderer etc etc...he wasnt and didnt do anything...yet its his face i remember from that case and not Jo or her murderer.

my own personal feeling is that they should remain unnamed until they have been charged, though these days it would never happen. Ive been reading a book about Cyril Smith, jeez what a vile man, yet everyone loved him. They knew what he was like yet would ring him if their son was hanging with the wrong crowd..to knock some sense into them. he would have keys for borstal type places and emter whenever he wanted....someone gave that authority -part of the same network probably.

I think a massive amount has been hidden from that period and before, a lot of police corruption and m.p. corruption, look at how many cases from the 70/80s have been prven wrong through DNA and innocent people released, There is nobody whiter than white -look at those head judges that use rentboys and drugs, MP's that vote against gay rights yet squander hours looking for badgers on hampstead heath. The corruption in church and religion - no food for starving orphans yet the vatican is beyond wealthy.

Mulder was right, trust no one.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 pm

I think there is a certain amount of corruption at the top, but there are nasty people at all levels of society.

being famous just means when you are caught, everybody knows.

times were different then, and not good different. I just hope that the truth comes out, it might ruin our nostalgia, but its certainly exagerated in some cases

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:48 pm

With these guys being found guilty, does that stop you listening to their music (well, not DLT obviously!). I still think Rolf Harris is a legend and his music is funny and brilliant. Garry Glitter though, I never liked so not too bothered listening to his old stuff...

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:39 pm

markopoloman wrote:does that stop you listening to their music
True.
I happen to like Una Paloma Blanca :shock: (its very suspicious that the accusation against Johnathan King was made twenty years later) and Leader of The Gang.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 am

SCALEBACK wrote:
markopoloman wrote:does that stop you listening to their music
True.
I happen to like Una Paloma Blanca :shock: (its very suspicious that the accusation against Johnathan King was made twenty years later) and Leader of The Gang.

I can never listen to Lost Prophets again