Discrimination against tattoos

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm surprised there have been no major developments in temporary tattooing. I wouldn't mind having something I could live with for just a few years to see how it fitted me, then I could either change it or get it done permanently.

It would save a lot of mistakes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25173
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:24 am

^even permanent ones fade over the years.
As a wrestling fan these days its rare to see a mainstream "grappler" with out them.
Unless they are Japanese, to them tats mean Yakuza or bad guy

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:29 am

sscott wrote:I feel I'm discrimated against for having no tattoos, bloody everyone seems to have them theses days.
Well remember you are a teacher, cant have tattoos, have to be square etc ;)

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by r0jaws » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:49 am

jdanddiet wrote:.....I don't mind tattoos but don't they all turn green as you get older?
Mine's over 20 years old and it's kinda grey and a little blurred but definitely not green. But then, seeing as it's on my upper arm, and usually well out of sight, seeing as I rarely wear a spandex singlet, it may not have been exposed to the elements enough, or something.

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by Nemesis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:16 am

Tattoo equals "chav" to me so not really surprised that people get fired for having them on display. They look particularly bad on women IMO. Seeing an attractive women and then realising she's got a large tattoo is instant turn off territory. They don't look professional and just give the wrong impression to me. However, different strokes and all that.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by nakamura » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 am

No interest in tattoos myself, they can look tacky or pretty damn good. I do cringe when I see names of people though tbh, it just feels tacky, especially kids or a since separated lover.

I wouldn't discriminate taking someone on regarding tattoos at all though. Unless they were absolutely extreme and personally I've never seen that anyway.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Son_of_Shinobi
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:09 pm

I think in this day and age it's completely acceptable and the norm to have tattoos. The whole "craze" has taken off since early 2000.

However, I think (personally) that unless you a butch lesbian, girls/women shouldn't have them as they make them look trampy and very unfeminine. Fine if it's a small tattoo, but a horrible tramp stamp on the lower part of your back is just wrong. Cheryl whatever-her-name-is now looks laughable stupid with that large flower thing - reeks of desperate attention seeking.

Tattoos were always meant to be a man's thing, they were used to identify soldiers/navy types in the war, if they were found dead and didn't have any I.D, family and loved ones would be able to identify them.

I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo, but I don't want it to be a burden in later life, they do tend to make you look quite common and a bit rough when you are in your later years.

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:58 am

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo, but I don't want it to be a burden in later life, they do tend to make you look quite common and a bit rough when you are in your later years.
Ha ha see that sounds bad, so if someone has a blueish faded tattoo and they're older theyre probably 'common/bit rough' ? There is that stereotype but in 20/30 years time there'll be loaddssssss of 50 or 60 year olds with tattoos from when they got them in the 00's

Again i would rather have a blueish tattoo when i'm 60 then heart disease or liver disease due to smoking/drinking. I do laugh when some 'non tattoo' friends say similar things about 'imagine what its like when you're 60' and they're sat there on their 5th glass of wine or smoking like a chimney, hello ?! Pot kettle black ! Imagine what that craps doing to you and what your inside will look like when you're 60 !

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by r0jaws » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 am

By the time I'm that age, I think I'll be too distracted by crapping in my shreddies.

User avatar
JoeNTMY
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: Reading, Berkshire

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by JoeNTMY » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:09 pm

crusto wrote:My friend is working on a building site where one of the site rules is you have to wear long sleeved clothes at all times. One of the reasons for this was to keep tattoos covered up, so as not to offend the public.... :roll:
I've not heard of this happening before on a site... :shock: What do they do?
Image

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:57 am

My friends install air conditioning systems, so nothing out of the ordinary. I used to do it myself until about a year ago. I think it's a Balfour Beatty site, but I will check tonight. One of the other rules that they have told me is that all scaffold towers have to be manufactured by Betaguard. I reckon that is probably illegal tbh as there are lots of companies out there whose equipment would meet the same standards. Are they getting kickbacks from Betaguard or what?
Image

Eat your nans pants

Son_of_Shinobi
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Son_of_Shinobi wrote:I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo, but I don't want it to be a burden in later life, they do tend to make you look quite common and a bit rough when you are in your later years.
Ha ha see that sounds bad, so if someone has a blueish faded tattoo and they're older theyre probably 'common/bit rough' ? There is that stereotype but in 20/30 years time there'll be loaddssssss of 50 or 60 year olds with tattoos from when they got them in the 00's

Again i would rather have a blueish tattoo when i'm 60 then heart disease or liver disease due to smoking/drinking. I do laugh when some 'non tattoo' friends say similar things about 'imagine what its like when you're 60' and they're sat there on their 5th glass of wine or smoking like a chimney, hello ?! Pot kettle black ! Imagine what that craps doing to you and what your inside will look like when you're 60 !
your argument is kinda flawed as what you look like on the outside and inside are two very different things, when people look at you and they see tatts, they are almost certainly going to have an opinion and/or judge you. However, if you have heart disease or cancer, that isn't going to be visible like a tattoo and therefore you are not as likely to be judged. You know what they say about first impressions. Laughable argument, and so chalk and cheese its not even funny.

Dam
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by Dam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:
psj3809 wrote:
Son_of_Shinobi wrote:I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo, but I don't want it to be a burden in later life, they do tend to make you look quite common and a bit rough when you are in your later years.
Ha ha see that sounds bad, so if someone has a blueish faded tattoo and they're older theyre probably 'common/bit rough' ? There is that stereotype but in 20/30 years time there'll be loaddssssss of 50 or 60 year olds with tattoos from when they got them in the 00's

Again i would rather have a blueish tattoo when i'm 60 then heart disease or liver disease due to smoking/drinking. I do laugh when some 'non tattoo' friends say similar things about 'imagine what its like when you're 60' and they're sat there on their 5th glass of wine or smoking like a chimney, hello ?! Pot kettle black ! Imagine what that craps doing to you and what your inside will look like when you're 60 !
your argument is kinda flawed as what you look like on the outside and inside are two very different things, when people look at you and they see tatts, they are almost certainly going to have an opinion and/or judge you. However, if you have heart disease or cancer, that isn't going to be visible like a tattoo and therefore you are not as likely to be judged. You know what they say about first impressions. Laughable argument, and so chalk and cheese its not even funny.
If you drink and smoke a lot your whole life, its going to be very visible by the time you hit 60....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests