Discrimination against tattoos

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Discrimination against tattoos

Post by dste » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:39 pm

BBC have an article where people with tattoos have sent in their negative experiences due to having tattoos and to me it's absolutely ridiculous.

I have no problem at all with tattoos, wouldn't get one myself as just not my thing, but I certainly wouldn't care if I was served by someone who had them. If they are good at their job then who gives a crap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29211526
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Re: Discrimination against tattoos

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:56 pm

This is one of them things that depends on the tattoos.
In sales some places think it represents a bad image and will ask them to be covered up

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:59 pm

I read it this morning, but it is a handful of people, spread throughout the world. And TBH, the reason for their misfortune could have been that they may have been insufferably self righteous bell-ends, rather than having ink.
We'll never know. :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:28 pm

My friend is working on a building site where one of the site rules is you have to wear long sleeved clothes at all times. One of the reasons for this was to keep tattoos covered up, so as not to offend the public.... :roll:

Eat your nans pants

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 am

crusto wrote:My friend is working on a building site where one of the site rules is you have to wear long sleeved clothes at all times. One of the reasons for this was to keep tattoos covered up, so as not to offend the public.... :roll:

The long sleeves on site is a health and safety thing, nothing to do with tatts, often have to wear gloves on a lot of sites as well these days - as for tattoos - isn't it a personal decision to have them? I think employers are completely justified in refusing to employ on the grounds of visible tattoos - stupid sheeple fashion fad that it is.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 am

Its a difficult one, i have tattoos but tend to cover them up when i see a client at work. One time i wore a long sleeved shirt as i was meeting a customer, in he came with a t shirt with both arms covered with tattoos all over ! Gotta laugh

Its a generation thing, my dads amazed that i dont wear a tie at meetings, thats the norm now. Even 'Tie Rack' i think have gone out of business as wearing a tie isnt the norm anymore and their profits have dived.

Tattoos are fine to me, theyre just tattoos, go back years and years and i bet our great great grandparents were shocked the second a girl had earrings or something. In years to come no one will batter an eyelid. The worst ones are the 'you'll regret those tattoos when you're 60....' . I would regret smoking if i was 60 or drinking tons, having a tattoo when i'm older i'm not worried about in the slightest.

Saying that those weird hoop earrings i dont like, they seem to think they're off some Madagascan island, some i've seen are just ridiculous. Then when the hoop is out they're left with this huge great flappy stretched bit of earlobe !

Now facial tattoos i think are ridiculous. I've read stories of some idiots trying to become the most tattooed person in the world and 'surprise surprise' often they dont have a job as no one will take them on - you dont say ! So when you're covered your face in lizard scales, have a crazy weird false eye and you've split your tongue to look like a snakes tongue, no one will take you on at work ? Really ?!? ;)

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 am

I like tattoos that mean something to that person, im not too keen of fashion tattoos that spring up every so often. when "from dusk till dawn" came out, almost overnight there were those clooney sleeve tattoos everywhere. Also stars, various names on the inside of each name and my main hate being italic writing in "only god can judge me".

i dont like cheek piercings or tongue piercings, anyone over 30 with a face piercing really..

but i don't discriminate against anyone that has any of the above...treat someone the way you would like to be treated.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 am

Yeah, it's definitely an age thing. Tattoos started to go mainstream about twenty years back, and pretty much everyone under 40 isn't going to so much as bat an eyelid about them these days. However, people who grew up at a time when they were mostly the province of soldiers, sailors and criminal gangs can still cling to those perceptions.

Mind you, it still makes me spin out a bit when I see someone who's got a spectacularly bad tattoo. I understand that the likes of Kat von D will have a long waiting list, but if you're going to get a piece of artwork that'll be prominently displayed on your skin for the rest of your life, you really ought to be using someone with artistic skills superior to an eight year old.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 am

Does make it laugh when you see some big lass with names of all her kids on her arm. As shes got a few it looks quite amusing.

But yeah some tattoos you think 'why ??'. Its like that dutch girl (or was it Belgium ?), her mum went mental as she had lots of stars tattooed on one side of her face, she said she fell asleep and the tatooist did it illegally. In the end she admitted it was all a lie and she was trying to get out of trouble ! But that was an appalling tattoo, some people dont think at all. Eg the name of your wife tattooed on you ! Hello people do divorce !!

Edited - Found the story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... clean.html

I mean seriously, whats the matter with people ? I like tattoos but that is just ridiculous.

And this one, the girl only just met the bloke online (weirdly enough its the same tatooist in the story above)....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rlier.html

Noooooooo ! What an idiot !

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

Narcissistic, attention seeking or just plain insecure?

I don't mind tattoos but don't they all turn green as you get older?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:my main hate being italic writing in "only god can judge me".

"Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:28

Yeah if there was one....he probably would!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

"If you want to look different, then don't get a tattoo" - Ozzy Osbourne

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Personally I'm not bothered. I don't have any myself but I have nothing against people who do unless it's the fashion-orientated ones that everybody gets just because their mates have one etc. I will have to say that the 'tramp stamp' on girls is really not attractive though.

I think tattoos just have a stereotype attached to them i.e. the people with them must be dodgy etc. and this does tend to be true quite often (the amount of customers I have to deal with who are absolute d***s and have whole arms covered is unreal) but at the same time, I know plenty of people with huge tattoos who are really decent people.

In a few generations time, there will be a lot less people who see tattoos as a negative thing so I don't think the argument will exist anymore.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:59 pm

clarance wrote:
crusto wrote:My friend is working on a building site where one of the site rules is you have to wear long sleeved clothes at all times. One of the reasons for this was to keep tattoos covered up, so as not to offend the public.... :roll:

The long sleeves on site is a health and safety thing, nothing to do with tatts, often have to wear gloves on a lot of sites as well these days - as for tattoos - isn't it a personal decision to have them? I think employers are completely justified in refusing to employ on the grounds of visible tattoos - stupid sheeple fashion fad that it is.
No, it was given as a specific reason, along with others..

But anyway, don't get me started on this subject :D I have spent way too many years working on building sites with their bullshit rules lol. Gloves are a hindrance, as are long sleeves, as are goggles, as are scaffold towers. Every item of PPE and access equipment etc has its appropriate place, and blanket rules that force the use of all of them just laugh in the face of common sense imo. And, if anything, make for a more dangerous place to work.

Of course, there are morons out there who work in a entirely unsafe manner and then try to sue when they hurt themselves. And it's probably because of these types why we have to go to work wrapped in bubble wrap.

Eat your nans pants

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm

I feel I'm discrimated against for having no tattoos, bloody everyone seems to have them theses days.