Phones 4 U Goes into Administration

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Son_of_Shinobi

Phones 4 U Goes into Administration

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Well, anybody here ever worked or bought phones there??

I bought my Sony Xperia M2 there a few weeks back. Not sure I got a great deal, but wanted to go back and chat up a lovely lady in there, and now I've lost my chance for good!

DPrinny

Re: Phones 4 U Goes into Administration

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm

The good side to this is the former MEN arena will stop being called the phones 4 U arena

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:The good side to this is the former MEN arena will stop being called the phones 4 U arena
I still think it sounded cooler when it was called the Nynex Arena

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Felt totally pressured into buying my phone by them last year.

Ordinarily I just walk away in those situations, but they had me sitting down for about an hour firing all these numbers at me & I was on my lunch break & really needed to get back to work & really wanted the phone for the weekend.

Stupid thing was I'd done my research and kinda knew it was a duff deal.

Ended up feeling bulied into a completely inappropriate contract & vowed I'd never go back.....I guess that'll be a lot easier now.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm an ex telecoms industry professional, i have my own opinions based on years of experience but i cant say

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

I used to work for their business side before Cauldwell sold it off. I wasn't a fan to be honest, I remember the ridiculous targets and the arrogant attitude of the managers, stereotypical arseholes.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

the_hawk wrote:Felt totally pressured into buying my phone by them last year.

Ordinarily I just walk away in those situations, but they had me sitting down for about an hour firing all these numbers at me & I was on my lunch break & really needed to get back to work & really wanted the phone for the weekend.

Stupid thing was I'd done my research and kinda knew it was a duff deal.

Ended up feeling bulied into a completely inappropriate contract & vowed I'd never go back.....I guess that'll be a lot easier now.
Similar boat, I desperately needed a new phone.

I went in and was shown a couple of handsets, told them I'd like to go and do a bit of homework (which is what I always do - read online reviews before making a purchase) - but they offer he sold me, was only available for "the next 30 mins or so", and I took it on, which is a first for me. I think it's safe to say Im probably paying more than I would had I shopped around, but - and this is a BIG but - I was struggling to pass a credit check, so he found away to get around that, and I inevitably took the deal. I was guessing that other phone shops would probably not give me a contract seeing how I had failed due to bad credit history.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Never bought a phone from them because I hated the adverts. Sad to hear of the job losses though

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:43 am

Kinda ironic using 'Back to the Future' Delorean for their adverts!
Pity they couldn't use it for real to see their own future!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UucLMljiDHg

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Went in there once, (just looking)and was literally chased out of the door by salesmen,,, pressure city!!!!!!!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 pm

The one and old time I got a phone in there it was a mess, I ended up saying yes to the insurance just so I could leave. Then it was a bugger to cancel later on
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Here's a funny from earlier this week, a day or two after they went under..

I have a problem with my battery for the HTC one, and phoned Orange to try and sort it out. I got put through to a foreign lady who could hardly speak a word of English.. I was obviously asked all the usual (are you) stupid questions like are you streaming lots of video? Are you playing lots of music? Etc etc. And once it was finally established it was the phone and not the customer who was at fault I was advised to take it back to Phones 4 u, because I bought it from them. :lol: When I told her that phones for you no longer existed she argued that I was wrong, and must take the phone to them like she advised! Naturally I just hung up.

Eat your nans pants

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah and regretted it.
The Samsung Chat 337 looks tasty on the youtube videos and in the reviews but it's total 'fluffy bunnies' for mobile internet as you can't use the internet on it unless you're in range of your network's router and try download games and apps for the bloody thing. Went back two days later for a refund but they wouldn't give me a refund because of their returns policy.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:06 pm

The website's down and all it's got on it now is a list of phone numbers but I don't see anybody wanting a refund getting one now.
Having faced potential redundancy myself, my heart goes out to those innocent branch managers who had to tell their staff that they'd be out of a job while the top bosses walk away, laughing all the way to the bank and I bet NONE of them're first on the redundancy list.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Having faced potential redundancy myself, my heart goes out to those innocent branch managers who had to tell their staff that they'd be out of a job while the top bosses walk away, laughing all the way to the bank and I bet NONE of them're first on the redundancy list.
I love the notion that everyone earning above £X is evil subhuman scum.

Not just picking on you, seen it a lot.
Xbox Live: RetroBob