Revival 2014 Event Feedback: did you go, what did you think?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MartynC

Revival 2014 Event Feedback: did you go, what did you think?

Post by MartynC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:47 pm

It's just over a month since Revival 2014 took place in Wolverhampton.

There will be a write-up in the next issue (#134) and we'd like to feature some comments from those who attended.

So how did you find this year's event? Let us know below!

joefish

Re: Revival 2014 Event Feedback: did you go, what did you th

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:18 pm

I thought it was great fun. There seemed to be more people though, which made it harder to get on some systems. At least that was my impression. Maybe I just couldn't get near my favourites!

But I think there were some opportunities missed.

I'd like to see more multi-player link-up setups as there are more opportunities to play them at an event like this. And something other than FPSs on them? I mean, a full HALO (2) setup for competitions is great, but how about my old favourite, Crimson Skies? The same ring could be split into two or three different game groups when not in use for a competition, or other smaller clusters of XBoxes / PCs could be setup. Then there's Lotus Turbo II that could link an ST to an Amiga and race four players. The emulated Daytona setup was really popular, so how about a bit more like that?

And I'd like to see a bit more made of new developments - the homebrew area was much reduced compared to last year, and even back then it wasn't really signposted. If you asked, you could get people to turn up and maybe do a panel on it to see how it goes down; I brought my own game setup last year (when there was room) and I still paid for a ticket. There were those two home-made arcade games this year too, but they were kept entirely separate, and there was no console homebrew represented.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:44 pm

joefish wrote:and there was no console homebrew represented.
Not entirely true, I had a load of homebrew stuff running at different points through the weekend.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Well, OK, but like the arcade machines, it could have been pooled. Most visitors probably weren't even aware of it.

RobHewson

Post by RobHewson » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:49 pm

What an energetic, enthusiastic and knowledgeable audience for the Hewson talk, dad thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't think he was quite prepared for how much retro-passion the UK still has - quite the eye opener!

The show itself was great too, really loved playing on all the Pinball tables. :)

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Last call for comments. If you went to the show, let me know what you thought!

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Me and Ruth went to this, so we will do it in a "his and hers" view. AJ grew up with games and Ruth never really. But that didn't take away from how much we both loved the event.

AJ -
I was blown away by it, when we was walking through the car park to the event, I wasn't sure what to expect or anything, when you first walk in you don't see much, but after walking around a little corner and seeing the whole room full of retro game machines was amazing, some I grew up with and loved and miss dearly, others I only heard about, or seen in mags, but it was amazing, I didn't expect the two rooms to be as big as they was, and the little rooms in between where great too, we spent much more time on pinball then we though we would, but also playing all the arcade cabs, the oculus rift which was a nice surprise, and a few indie games ( everyone needs to check out havoc your way) I loved the event.

And as for the stalls..... I could of very easily done 5 times as much money then I did and not batted an eyelid.

Everyone we spoke to was friendly, willing to chat, and just seemed to be there for the love of the games.

Being told there is a mini event coming soon too, we will be there 100%

----------—

Ruth -

Being relatively new to gaming (apart from the Amstrad and a 70's Rowtron TV console I didn't play anything until I bought my GameBoy pocket, and even then I didn't play much until I bought my first console in 2009) I was a bit unsure of what to expect, and whether I would get bored easily while AJ geeked out. As I walked in I was amazed at the sight of rows and rows of consoles set out, all free to play. Fabled consoles such as the NES, SNES and Amiga that I had obviously seen and heard so much about but finally got the pleasure to play, along with dusty old relics I didn't recognise and in some cases had never heard of - all in lovingly fantastic playable condition with games that are surprisingly enjoyable to play now. The stalls of goods for sale blew me away and I longed to have a four figure amount in my wallet to be able to spend right away. As it was I came away with a few goodies such as Dizzy games for the Amstrad and a Discworld PSOne game to complete my collection at long last. And as for the pinball - definitely re-ignited my need for a machine in my house. There was so much to see and do that I was surprised when the weekend came to an end so soon. Well worth going and definitely somewhere I will be again next year. Thanks guys!

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 pm

http://youtu.be/k9gpn2fg184

Here is our YouTube vlog thing from the event with video clips from the event, also forgot to say above, fast forward to the end to see my highlit of revival haha

felicemaggie

Post by felicemaggie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

As one of a small group of people who were there that helped out on behalf of the Centre for Computing History, one of the charities to benefit from the event I thought Revival 2014 went very well. Even though it was very busy in the large second room where our kit was all set up, the feeling of being cramped didn't occur - and I think this was down to the tweaked layout of the arcade games that were in the room.

The fact that the main organizers were able to use more of the space within the venue was a help in regards to this, with having arcade cabinets and some of the larger console games that required large screens being based in the main bar area; this was a big help and ensured that all visitors were able to benefit from mostly all the space that was used for the event. Most of the different areas of Revival were full of people on the Saturday and also to a similar extent on the Sunday, from what I saw personally.

We mustn't forget the stalls that were selling retro stuff too. These were very interesting and it was possible to pick up retro kit at decent prices if one so wished. The best selling stall (in my personal opinion) must be the one run by MicroSprouts, who had some very interesting retro equipment for sale, most of these had been modded to give a decent composite video output too.

All in all, a great event. If there is a Revival Mini 2014 event then I would hope to be there, as long as it doesn't clash with other plans for later in the year.
http://ccc.atari.org - (Cheshunt Computer Club) - Atari Forever !

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 pm

RobHewson wrote:What an energetic, enthusiastic and knowledgeable audience for the Hewson talk, dad thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't think he was quite prepared for how much retro-passion the UK still has - quite the eye opener!
Yes, I got the impression he came along to give his talk and may have been a bit overwhelmed by all the fascination with what he was doing some 30 years ago! Apologies if any of us made him feel a bit mobbed at the end but very grateful to him for showing up.

paulisthebest3uk

Post by paulisthebest3uk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes, I went :) And let me say it was absolutely brilliant, I was in my element. I did a youtube video for my channel of the event, went both days, and the hours went so fast it was unbelievable. The pints of beer wasnt cheap lol but all the computers, consoles, and coin op machines were free play. I even came back with an MSX1 computer and an Amstrad CPC i bought at a low price.
The atmosphere was great, seeing everyone playing on vintage computers and systems was fresh and something i remember fondly of from my childhood. There was an impressive zx81 with an SD reader device in it, and many working machines. Everything was there, the trader stalls were brilliant, the one even showed you the stuff working before you bought it, so you could ensure a good buy.
This was my first retro convention, and rest assured it will not be my last.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm

paulisthebest3uk wrote:Yes, I went :) And let me say it was absolutely brilliant, I was in my element. I did a youtube video for my channel of the event, went both days, and the hours went so fast it was unbelievable. The pints of beer wasnt cheap lol but all the computers, consoles, and coin op machines were free play. I even came back with an MSX1 computer and an Amstrad CPC i bought at a low price.
The atmosphere was great, seeing everyone playing on vintage computers and systems was fresh and something i remember fondly of from my childhood. There was an impressive zx81 with an SD reader device in it, and many working machines. Everything was there, the trader stalls were brilliant, the one even showed you the stuff working before you bought it, so you could ensure a good buy.
This was my first retro convention, and rest assured it will not be my last.
Can you post a link to your video? I have seen a few from the event and think its great seeing from someone else's view

paulisthebest3uk

Post by paulisthebest3uk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:34 pm

yeah sure if its allowed on the forum - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAx5VDQ6_4c