play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scapegoat

Re: play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Joey wrote:I'd say 30, good food is worth the extra 20 mins.
Quite agree, all sorts of food available only 10 mins walk away, had a cracking meal with the family, if I was in a rush, or even a budget I'd just pack a lunch before setting off.
HADDOCKEN!

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:56 am

I didn't get chance to chat to anyone from the forum this year except for a couple of brief chats (and a Gameboy Camera pic) with DPrinny.

Had a great weekend overall but the queuing on the Saturday was ridiculous as ever though with the usual fiasco of the on the door people getting in much quicker than the ticket holders :evil:

The layout this year was the best yet, everything just seemed to flow well. My only layout 'complaint' as such would be the food area being located at the complete opposite end from the bar, I can see the logic behind this to some extent though as it kept the bar relatively child free which if I was a parent at these events I would want exactly that.
Probably the biggest improvement to me in terms of the layout was there a complete lack of heavy noise pollution throughout the whole venue, normally the PA systems from the stages, Rock Band etc clash with one and other and make a complete cluster **** of noise but this year there was none of that at all so well done to the organisers with that :)

I'll try and write a more complete review of sorts later on but long story short, bar the queuing situation on the Saturday this would have to be the best Play Expo yet with most of my yearly niggles ironed out. :mrgreen:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:09 am

felgekarp wrote:They were giving free passes out for the other event when we went past sunday morning and yeah 5 quid for a half cooked gristle filled burger is taking the p*ss a little :lol:
I thought the burger was really nice. Believe me i like my burgers and this was a good one, wasnt a cheap pub one or a dodgy kebab van one. Proper one and was tasty as anything. But again at a huge huge venue like this theres no way any catering company would do burgers for a pound etc. It just doesn't happen at any venue this size. Like others have said with so many food places a bit of walk nearby i cant see the issue

If you want burgers to be a £1 or so then you'll get ones like the ones at the famous Stoke retro show where there was that woman cooking one burger after another (She didnt think to do 10 at a time for the huge queue!)

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:47 am

Went Sunday with my lad , loved the arcade section (as usual), loved track n field , mr Do! , space invaders II plus loads more , the pinball was interesting but a lot of machine hogging going on (not a lot you can do about it !) .

Spent a few quid on the stalls , thought the prices are getting steadily dearer ! I know they must have to pay a wack to stand at the event , pay staff etc and retro gaming on the whole is becoming expensive though , so fair play .

Overall , a well organised fun event , plenty to do , cheap to enter and well worth a trip !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 am

As I mentioned to a couple of people, go to a 2020 match at Essex ccc if you want to spend a lot of money on food and drink...believe me these prices were not extortionate and you had a choice if yôu were prepared to walk for 10 mins
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Xyphoe

Post by Xyphoe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:40 am

For a first timer at any retro gaming event or convention of this size in anything... I had an amazing time!! I only wish I had more hours to spend there! I seriously can't wait for the next event I can go to! I think the additions of screen.play made a big difference for me and especially a slightly reluctant missus I convinced to come along on her birthday... even though it was small we were both over the moon at meeting Craig Charles (who was super nice and chatty, and told us to come get a photo with him!), Dave Prowse and Kenny Baker - plus posing in the DeLorean! I hope they expand this next year.

However the big thing was all the arcade machines!! WOW!!

I took some video footage here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvicGEevJ9g
But apologies for the shaky cam, I was literally shaking with excitement whilst trying to keep calm talking through all I saw!!

If there's another event with more coin-ops... please let me know!! But I was in HEAVEN!!

Only niggles for me were a poor selection of food, and the two guys constantly hogging the Star Wars coinop who looked to be in a battle to get the days highest score which seemed a litle pointless to me.
I was a little sad that the retro stalls didn't have much in the way of 8-bit home computer stuff, all consoles. However I did come away with two Nintendo Game & Watch's for Donkey Kong I and II which made me very happy :)
ImageImage

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah there were some 'hoggers' of machines, bit frustrating.

Spoke to some of the stallholders about the lack of 8 bit, they said on the whole its not worth it. They'll make 20p per tape perhaps and the space they have to have to take a ton of these to these shows its just not worth it, so more and more are concentrating on other stuff to sell which is a shame but i see their point.

Historically late sunday is the time to get a bargain or two though ;)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 am

psj3809 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:They were giving free passes out for the other event when we went past sunday morning and yeah 5 quid for a half cooked gristle filled burger is taking the p*ss a little :lol:
I thought the burger was really nice. Believe me i like my burgers and this was a good one, wasnt a cheap pub one or a dodgy kebab van one. Proper one and was tasty as anything. But again at a huge huge venue like this theres no way any catering company would do burgers for a pound etc. It just doesn't happen at any venue this size. Like others have said with so many food places a bit of walk nearby i cant see the issue

If you want burgers to be a £1 or so then you'll get ones like the ones at the famous Stoke retro show where there was that woman cooking one burger after another (She didnt think to do 10 at a time for the huge queue!)
The one I had wasn't good, in fact the one I had at the pub next to the B & B we stayed in the night before was far superior and slightly cheaper and I never said anything about wanting one for a quid so I've no idea what you're going on about there!
Splink!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 am

The food problem is due to Event city wanting any stall selling food to cough up a few hundred quid to sell it

Also
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3443_o.jpg

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:36 am

I understand the points made but its easier for some of us to find the food places nearby than some coming from far away or for the first time

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:03 pm

sirclive1 wrote:Went Sunday with my lad , loved the arcade section (as usual), loved track n field , mr Do! , space invaders II plus loads more , the pinball was interesting but a lot of machine hogging going on (not a lot you can do about it !) .

Spent a few quid on the stalls , thought the prices are getting steadily dearer ! I know they must have to pay a wack to stand at the event , pay staff etc and retro gaming on the whole is becoming expensive though , so fair play .

Overall , a well organised fun event , plenty to do , cheap to enter and well worth a trip !
Yeah the stall selling in £s and Euros was probably the most LOLtastic pricing wise - it didn't look like they were selling much either. Bluebear gaming were there, their stuff isn't great quality (compared to Console Passion), some of their prices are ok, others, well... £100 for an unboxed Master System 3D Glasses? They're barely worth that complete. Just another victim of looking at rip off BIN prices. If they were worth that much, they wouldn't still be listed because someone would have bought them!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 pm

At least it isn't Blackp ool, when that chippy closes food options die out

I found most prices OK, then again I wasn't really after anything, but did get a fair amount of stuff for £50, lots of 2600 games

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:24 pm

RetroBob wrote: £100 for an unboxed Master System 3D Glasses? They're barely worth that complete
Yeah i saw those and laughed, there were a few prices like that to be fair but that was one of my favourites though
To be honest there were a few prices where i thought to myself "wait has the value of that really shot up that much??" then checked ebay and discovered it hadn't lol but on the flip side there were some well priced items and some bargains to be had too, weird though how some stalls seemed to have certain things way over the odds and others really low
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 pm

I absolutely loved it. Great traders with loads of good prices, and some comical ones to boot! Lots of variety in terms of games. I played a bit of everything from retro, arcade, tournament and even the PS4.

Seeing several members from forums and Twitter was great. Marko and co, Flatapex and time with the awesome Retro Collect Squad was very well spent.

Best event for me. They just need to get paid helpers now. My god they must make enough cash on this thing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:33 pm

DPrinny wrote:At least it isn't Blackp ool, when that chippy closes food options die out

I found most prices OK, then again I wasn't really after anything, but did get a fair amount of stuff for £50, lots of 2600 games
It did take them 3 attempts to warm up a pie last time I had anything to eat at Blackpool to be fair. Lunch at Manchester may have been £5.00 but at least it was hot.