play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:55 am

Crikey! strange the article doesn't mention play expo but does the health and fitness expo as a possible cause.
Someone mentions it in comments though,
I guess more people are interested in games than health and fashion...or just the replayevents boys do a much better job in promoting their event,
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:00 pm

RetroBob wrote:Did anyone get wind of the issues with the other event at Event City over the weekend?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... le-7925828
Sounds bad. Riots over burgers being £5 and water being £1.50 a bottle, celebs charging £15 for an autograph. No wonder they went a bit crazy ! ;)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 pm

There seemed to be a constant flow of people going into that event - well, at least when I was walking past! I wonder when the riot police turned up?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 pm

i saw the ambulance and presumed it was on standby?

the food i agree was expensive (i hobbled to asda on the saturday and to the van outside on the sunday) but to some people it would be very expensive and would dent the games budget quite a bit. it is part of the course but what needs to be remembered is that the trafford centre is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, as these places usually are.
(we had a big bag of drinks, crisps, chocolate etc in the boot :lol: )

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm

They were giving free passes out for the other event when we went past sunday morning and yeah 5 quid for a half cooked gristle filled burger is taking the p*ss a little :lol:
Splink!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

The Trafford centre has a food hall bigger than the entire of most shopping centres and has about every restaurant you could want. There was no need for anyone to eat bad food over the weekend :wink:

badger2609

Post by badger2609 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Awesome event, the best so far in my humble opinion. I thought the layout was great with lots of space around each area, huge amount of arcade cabs and pinball machines, most of which were on all weekend. Met a couple of the pinball guys, really friendly and so passionate about their stuff.
Was good to have a little blast on the new FIFA and PES games side by side (PES this year for me, just seemed to have more pick up and play appeal). Loved the indie developers area, was great to see some of the amazing games they had coming out.
The queuing seemed to be dealt with much better this year with much quicker access than previous years, we walked straight in on the Sunday at about 10.15, no queue at all. I agree with the issues about getting in the second day as no-one really seemed to know what the plan was. We asked 3 different people if we needed to bring our ticket or if there was something else in place and we got given a little brown ticket by one person, the other 2 didn't know what was happening. In the end we just kept our original ticket and our little brown ticket and had no problem getting in but it seemed a little haphazard
Don't know about numbers but it seemed absolutely mobbed on the sat, quieter on the sun but that's always the way it is. Can't wait til next year

Great work guys, it's much appreciated

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Joey wrote:The Trafford centre has a food hall bigger than the entire of most shopping centres and has about every restaurant you could want. There was no need for anyone to eat bad food over the weekend :wink:
Could you nip into the trafford centre, get a meal and get back to the show in ten minutes then?
Splink!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm

I'd say 30, good food is worth the extra 20 mins.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote: The FM Towns machine had a fantastic shooter on it, but I don't know the name because I can't read Japanese. Anyone else know what it was?
I supplied the one that was hooked up to the 32" flat screen if that's the one your on about? I Can't remember what game I put on it now but will check what's in it when the console gets delivered back tomorrow.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:22 pm

5 Guys had excellent burgers although three times the cost of McDonalds.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:23 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Joey wrote:The Trafford centre has a food hall bigger than the entire of most shopping centres and has about every restaurant you could want. There was no need for anyone to eat bad food over the weekend :wink:
Could you nip into the trafford centre, get a meal and get back to the show in ten minutes then?
next year i am going prepared with a cool box of home made treats, if i dont stay over

nice tuna mayo baguette, bit of salad on it, some decent crisps, german chocolate and a can of vimto zero

i could be back to the show in 10 minutes with that, although its a pain trying to make that when you've done a full day of the show

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:05 pm

markopoloman wrote:The were stamping hands when people left though!
Not when I was there I'm afraid.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Dam wrote:
Sputryk wrote:I don't know if it was down to my lack of attendance since the final year at Norbreck, but I felt underwhelmed by this year's event. I just couldn't get in to the spirit of it all. Sure, I had fun (who doesn't, reliving misspent youth in the arcade?), but there was none of the air that Norbreck had (and I'm not referring to anything fetid, or the coastal aroma). It was just one big...thing; whereas Blackpool was like being round a mates house (big house, with lots of mates). Or am I just getting old?

Only spotted SirC of everyone on here I recognise, and he was deep in conversation with someone. At Norbreck I lost count of the number of RG'ers that I recognise. I'm sure I will have passed some of you. Anyone who saw: backpack, houndstooth sports jacket, jeans, glasses, balding, Battle Royale t-shirt - that was me. And for long enough I had a large square of paper sticking out of my top pocket with my RG name on it. Maybe next year, eh?

Great to get some goes on the Outrun hydraulic - I want one! Don't have room for one, but.... As for most of the others, having gotten so used to using keys to play at home, I've lost the knack with a stick! Must do better.
I hear you. I think that Blackpool is the optimum size, and for me, Manchester is too big, and I seem to spend all my time looking for people, or queuing for something, or being shoved out of the way by someone. I don't really like crowds and it all gets a bit exhausting really quickly.

That said, the reason I didn't go this year was because I had to work, and I'm a bit skint, otherwise I would have still attended. I'll probably be back next year, but for now I'm looking forward to hopefully hitting some of the smaller shows before then.
Considering where you've been this year, and recently, too, being skint is an understatement! Given the choice for next year, though...you'll go see the sun come up again! For as much fun as these events provide, NOTHING in my book can compete with our chosen destination. And with all the arcades to choose from there, and the wealth of choice within - sorry, everyone, but there really is no competition. That said, I'm in a better position for going than yourself, Dam (and no disrespect intended), as I get to stay with in-laws which saves both on hotel and spending money - it's a flights-only job.

Having had time to relax after the event I expect I will be back next year, lack of spirit or no lack of spirit. Might also do Blackpool if it is more of a gamer's paradise. We'll see. And I'll try harder to find some of you all, too!

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I went this year both Saturday and Sunday, really enjoyed it. Was on my third year and I am thinking of now going to the Blackpool event. Only a slight criticism would be a lack of big companies present, but that all seemed to work out, also liked the completive layout of League of Legends game, that interested me more than I thought it would, a lot better than rows of people screaming into headsets. As, others have said hammered on the Saturday, I got more of a go of things on the Sunday. Roll on next year and possibly now Blackpool too.