play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:18 am

I liked the retro layout - particularly the themed areas for Terminator, AvP, bond etc.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:20 am

well with the benefit of some much needed sleep i can give more of an account of my weekend.
as i said we didnt stay over (£250+ for 2 of us for 2 nights), we picked a friend up in bredbury (stockport) so our journey was 50 miles in the morning and same in the evening, ended up being part of quite a large group as my mate and his son turned up as well. the ps4's were cool, i like drive club but its too expensive for me to get the package i would want, plus more racing games are needed really.
it took me a couple of hours to get my bearings, my mate's son had a go on the tombola and won a mint condition, boxed tomy pinball, we won a wine cooler :lol:
i found my way to retrocollect, then the pinballs, ended up playing one from the 70s which had been restored to really nice condition, relived my youth in the arcade and found loads of great systems. and i spent a few quid too. my one gripe was i was looking for some ps3 stuff and hardly anyone had anything and none of it was racing based. my suggestion would be to group the games stalls together, tshirt stalls together etc.
oh and there was a certain amount of people shoving others out the way, i stood next to a guy at a stall and he had a go at me :shock: i just walked away i couldnt be bothered justifying looking at games while in a games event :roll: probably had people shoving him all day to be fair

went out to asda for dinner as sandwiches were very expensive and some guy bought about a dozen which pretty much emptied the fridge, yeah thanks buddy :lol: inhaled my dinner and went back for more fun. spotted a few retrocollect people but only spotted nakamura from here by this point, ended up with a few nice games by the end of the day. traffic organisation was good, avoiding the main road from the trafford centre.
was exhausted by the end and in a fair bit of pain (dont have fallen arches kids it aint cool)
took a wrong turn on the way home and ended up buying supplies to make sandwiches, only realising at 1130pm that we had no cooked meat :? ah well the thought was there, and a boot full of snacks.

day 2 despite being an earlier start we set off later, the queue management was great so we didnt struggle getting in quickly, lots more fun etc. was playing a few classic consoles (my favourite part) and i spotted markopoloman, great guy, headed over to retrocollect, managed to set the fastest time on the moto gp challenge for the xbox (how hard was that game?) and played loads more games, more pinball and spent more money, also got some awesome freebies.

will certainly be back next year, and probably 2 days of blackpool too.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 am

sscott wrote:
flatapex wrote:My 2ps worth....
Did both days as i did last year, different experience as last year we got a cheap hotel room, this year the hotels were so expensive.

The layout was interesting, a map would have been great as we spent ages initially getting our bearings, at least the areas were clearly defined.

I spent some time at the retrocollect stand, great place, thinking of offering assistance if required for blackpool.

The pinballs were better this year as they seemed to be lots more working ones. Arcade machines were great.

Would personally have had screenplay in the hall with the lights in the curtains (event city regulars will know what i mean) and stalls grouped by what they sold.

Overall it was a great event
A few people I spoke to wanted to meet you but how would anyone have known?
people wanted to meet me? i cant imagine anyone wanting to meet me, i'm not interesting in the slightest

i wore my asteroids t-shirt on the first day, and there was someone else wearing the same thing :lol: didnt he realise that was my trademark?

and markopoloman you are right, it is pronounced as flat apex, lots have pronounced it flat a pex :lol:

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:38 am

psj3809 wrote:But i'm getting old, i dont 'get' Cosplay at all, even more so i dont get the love for that youtuber either
This morning i feel hideously old (seriously, there is pain pretty much everywhere but in particular my hip from just one feckin' game on the stand up Power Drift at the end of Saturday) but i still "get" cosplay; the attention to detail impresses the hell out of me, it must take some bottle to go for it as well and these folks usually seem to have a lot of love for the characters they cosplay as and what's not to like about that? My friend Spen was wandering around as Indiana Jones and i'm almost tempted to have a go next year... maybe. =-)

As for Syndicate, i don't watch his videos (i have seen a few) but get the whole YouTube thing and subscribe to a few other people like Gassy Mexican, Minx and Nanners; the ones i watch aren't primarily gaming videos though, they're just a group of mates messing around, being funny and playing a game at the same time. Think reality television but funnier, less drawn out and with games.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 am

Due to the show i'm playing MAME more than ever, playing more tables on Pinball Arcade

Also playing some old classics on various different machines (via emulator) !

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 am

I went on Sunday, I enjoyed it, though the layout was a bit confusing. Got my Craig Charles autograph for my collection, then on to the arcades and the pinball. I still wish there was some sort of system to prevent people hogging popular games though. I spent ages waiting to go on the sit-down Outrun and still didn't get a sniff. I was playing Bubble Bobble with my friend, and when we realized there was someone waiting behind us we payed to the end of the credit and then handed it over. Surely that's just polite? Gutted that Afterburner wasn't working either.

Good to see Jeff Minter (again) so I could thank him personally for TxK, and enjoyed playing on most of the retro systems, although someone did seem to be going around abusing the poor Amstrads... Also, the food is still WAY too pricy- £5.00 for a hot-dog?

On balance I'd say Norbreck was much more Retro, but Play Expo was more of an event. Wouldn't say one was better than the other, just different.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 am

Copy & paste of what I wrote on FB:

==========

Contradicting what a few other people have said, I thought it was much better this year, although that may be down to my interests; I'm more into retro, and the only modern gaming I'm interested in is the indie stuff (not trying to sound elitist; it's just a fact about what I prefer :D)

It was a great move to get such a large indie developer presence there - great exposure for people who don't traditionally have the resources to plug their stuff to a wide audience.

More retro computers, consoles, arcade cabs and pinball tables = Gooooood!

Originally, I only bought a ticket for the Saturday, but enjoyed it so much I went back on Sunday. Although next year, I'll turn up on Saturday an hour after opening time. Not bothered about losing some time because I don't usually last right until the end anyway!

===========

After reading a few comments on here, I agree, yes - a map would have been useful, although I was happy to simply wander about aimlessly to see what was going on. And yeah, ticketing/entrance seemed to be a bit haphazard.

Nice to see ProjectorGames really busy, although that did mean I had less chance to play on it. Booooo.

I know you can't please all the people all the time (and maybe for the sake of balance, some WiiUs and XB1s might have been nice) but for me personally? Best one so far :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

I am always surprised when people mention prices of food though. Its not the year 1972 ! You're at a large exhibition hall, the prices will always be dearer. Go to any large exhibition or footy stadium etc and the prices will be inflated. Plus again you're right next to the trafford centre, walk to McDonalds if you want a super cheap meal then.

So people bought Megadrive games in the 90's for about £40, consoles currently cost a fair chunk but the second a burgers over £2 people start fainting ;) Come on we're mostly over 30 and have some money, its not like we're 14 years old and trying to save up £7.95 for a game etc !

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:06 am

psj3809 wrote:I am always surprised when people mention prices of food though. Its not the year 1972 ! You're at a large exhibition hall, the prices will always be dearer. Go to any large exhibition or footy stadium etc and the prices will be inflated. Plus again you're right next to the trafford centre, walk to McDonalds if you want a super cheap meal then.
Or the sandwich trailer outside :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 am

flatapex wrote: went out to asda for dinner as sandwiches were very expensive and some guy bought about a dozen which pretty much emptied the fridge, yeah thanks buddy :lol:

I think you'll find it was someone from the play expo staff!!! We had a big bag of free sarnies for people helping out :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am

markopoloman wrote:
flatapex wrote: went out to asda for dinner as sandwiches were very expensive and some guy bought about a dozen which pretty much emptied the fridge, yeah thanks buddy :lol:

I think you'll find it was someone from the play expo staff!!! We had a big bag of free sarnies for people helping out :lol:
ah whoops :oops:

had i noticed a staff shirt i wouldnt have mentioned it :lol:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:56 am

MikeFishcake wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I am always surprised when people mention prices of food though. Its not the year 1972 ! You're at a large exhibition hall, the prices will always be dearer. Go to any large exhibition or footy stadium etc and the prices will be inflated. Plus again you're right next to the trafford centre, walk to McDonalds if you want a super cheap meal then.
Or the sandwich trailer outside :)
I would have done, but due to the confusing ticketing situation (no wristbands or hand stamping or anything, I was unsure whether or not I'd get back in if I left. Last year the ticket queue took longer, but at least it seemed like they had a system.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:00 am

The were stamping hands when people left though!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:21 am

Sputryk wrote:I don't know if it was down to my lack of attendance since the final year at Norbreck, but I felt underwhelmed by this year's event. I just couldn't get in to the spirit of it all. Sure, I had fun (who doesn't, reliving misspent youth in the arcade?), but there was none of the air that Norbreck had (and I'm not referring to anything fetid, or the coastal aroma). It was just one big...thing; whereas Blackpool was like being round a mates house (big house, with lots of mates). Or am I just getting old?

Only spotted SirC of everyone on here I recognise, and he was deep in conversation with someone. At Norbreck I lost count of the number of RG'ers that I recognise. I'm sure I will have passed some of you. Anyone who saw: backpack, houndstooth sports jacket, jeans, glasses, balding, Battle Royale t-shirt - that was me. And for long enough I had a large square of paper sticking out of my top pocket with my RG name on it. Maybe next year, eh?

Great to get some goes on the Outrun hydraulic - I want one! Don't have room for one, but.... As for most of the others, having gotten so used to using keys to play at home, I've lost the knack with a stick! Must do better.
I hear you. I think that Blackpool is the optimum size, and for me, Manchester is too big, and I seem to spend all my time looking for people, or queuing for something, or being shoved out of the way by someone. I don't really like crowds and it all gets a bit exhausting really quickly.

That said, the reason I didn't go this year was because I had to work, and I'm a bit skint, otherwise I would have still attended. I'll probably be back next year, but for now I'm looking forward to hopefully hitting some of the smaller shows before then.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:28 am

Did anyone get wind of the issues with the other event at Event City over the weekend?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... le-7925828
Xbox Live: RetroBob