Gaming TV Shows

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JamesC

Gaming TV Shows

Post by JamesC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I was just wondering why there aren't any decent gaming TV shows and wondered if any of you had any thoughts.
Given how much money the games industry makes these days, and how big midnight launches always make the news, you'd think someone somewhere would try to find a workable format.
Most recently I thought Charlie Brookers Gameswipe shows were pretty good and I quite liked GamesMaster back in the nineties (it was silly but had enough charm to pull it off). Other than that, gaming on TV has had a pretty raw deal. There was a show with Iain Lee and that American woman that was pretty painful and before that we had the incredibly yoof (and totally extreme!) Bad Influende with Violet Berlin.
It seems to me that they always try to be too trendy and enthusiastic and animated about basically showing you something that's on a screen (the Gadget Show is guilty of this too).
I think there's a market for a games show that has sensible, educated, presenters discussing various elements of gaming in a dignified manner. Imagine the clout an organisation like the BBC could have at E3 or Eurogamer.

Any thoughts?

Antiriad2097

Re: Gaming TV Shows

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:06 pm

The BBC are actually one of the few channels to support a videogame show in recent years, having produced Videogaiden.

It would be hard to call it sensible, but the writers/presenters were certainly well informed gamers.

Sadly it turned out to be a somewhat sanitised version of Consolevania, not quite having its charm due to the restrictions of mainstream broadcast TV.

Your Iain Lee show was Thumb Bandits, which shares some connections with the all girl Bits. I liked both of those, though they were obviously very low budget. Iain himself has commented that he wasn't happy with how Thumb Bandits turned out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:27 pm

The BBC are also the ones behind the Wipe series of programmes too, including the video game one. Dominik Diamond of GamesMaster did a good show on the old Bravo TV channel to in recent memory. He'd always be my first choice after the former show!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:30 pm

When Games Attack. I'd forgotten about that one.

What we really need is a new series of Bits. But with more and bigger bits.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I was thinking of something that would have a broader appeal. The closest thing I can think of to what I mean would be the toy programmes that James May has made. You don't have to be into the toys to watch the programmes - they just show you how cleverly designed the toys are and illustrate their place in social history.
This is the kind of tone I was thinking of, but with more of a magazine show format. It shouldn't all be news, reviews and cheats. You can have some of that but mixed in with features about artists and designers, collectors, home brew enthusiasts, a guide to building your own MAME cabinet.
There's loads you could do!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Theres Videogame nation on Challenge.

The Challenge is to watch it without feeling sick

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Is that Blurb show still shown?
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 am

No - it seems that Videogame Nation replaced it.

Part of the problem is that the rules and regulations of TV are still stuck somewhat in the past.
Unlike film and music which are seen as artforms, using game footage is classed as advertising therefore what a gaming show can actually do is painfully restricted. This explains the huge amount of waffle in Challenge's efforts.

JamesC's suggestions would certainly appeal to a large number of us lot but I fear it would be far too niche for a large network to take a chance on. If it was pitched like a gaming version of say Top Gear it'd have a far better likelihood of getting commissioned.

Then again, it seems that the internet has rendered the idea redundant - who'd wait a week for their fix when they can watch live streams of trade shows and press conferences? They'd also find it hard to compete on the entertainment front - I'd say Classic Game Room is more enjoyable to watch than 99% of stuff you'd currently find on TV.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 pm

There's bugger all nowadays.
I used to love "Bad Influence" back in the day, and even G@mers that used to be on Rapture TV before that closed down.
Nowadays, I watch some of the "Classic Games Room" and "Lazy Game Reviews" videos on YouTube - that's about it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:When Games Attack. I'd forgotten about that one.
I started watching that ages ago but pretty much the first thing they did was have a football game challenge so I switched it off, I must get back round to watching it at some point.
Splink!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:12 am

felgekarp wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:When Games Attack. I'd forgotten about that one.
I started watching that ages ago but pretty much the first thing they did was have a football game challenge so I switched it off, I must get back round to watching it at some point.
Thats what made me turn off Video game Nation the other week
5 minutes of some guy talking about Fifa while showing "Game play footage"
Then the bloke and the lass playing Fifa while she says "Ive never played this before" and looking about as excited as a fish thats about to be gutted

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:16 am

Competitive gaming was even on BBC news this, although I'd certianly disagree that it's a sport. I have though censored odd that such a popular pasttime gets so little coverage, whereas there are approximately 18313112 cooking and house buying shows on at any one time

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 am

Chess is covered as a sport, so I see no reason not to include videogames. Sure, its not athletic, but it's competitive gaming with leagues etc, with far more variety and interest than mainstream sports.

The UK event on the news didn't look great, they should have covered Korean gaming.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:31 am

Gave Video game nation another chance,
Ok it was on after Wrestle Talk and I couldn't be arsed to turn off

Isnt there a law against using a TV program as an advert?
5 Minutes talking about Dark souls 2, then talking about survival games mentioning Dark souls 2 while the title screen for the game is in the background while one of them is talking
Negative Creep wrote:Competitive gaming was even on BBC news this, although I'd certianly disagree that it's a sport. I have though censored odd that such a popular pasttime gets so little coverage, whereas there are approximately 18313112 cooking and house buying shows on at any one time
Have you seen what games get played at massive tournaments
League of legends
DOTA (WTF is this game?)
Starcraft 2
What ever Street fighter is newest
MVC3

Yawntastic

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:25 am

DPrinny wrote:Isnt there a law against using a TV program as an advert?
Product placement is allowed now - was there a little "P" symbol in the title sequence and break bumpers?