Do you talk to people in real life like that?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Re: Do you talk to people in real life like that?

Post by dste » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 am

I'm more reserved on the form than in real life as I think that things can sometimes be misconstrued online where as in real life you can read body language and tone to get an idea if someone is joking or being sarcastic.

In real like I'm more jokey and sarcastic then I am on here and also on here I bite my tongue a bit more and remain quiet when I think that someone is being a d*ck. In real life I would pretty much tell them that they were being a d*ck but also explain/discuss why I thought this.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:40 am

dste wrote:I'm more reserved on the form than in real life as I think that things can sometimes be misconstrued online where as in real life you can read body language and tone to get an idea if someone is joking or being sarcastic.

In real like I'm more jokey and sarcastic then I am on here and also on here I bite my tongue a bit more and remain quiet when I think that someone is being a d*ck. In real life I would pretty much tell them that they were being a d*ck but also explain/discuss why I thought this.
You also snore.
:lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:24 pm

I would say that I'm a lot less...articulated in real life and a hell of a lot more reserved because I'm not really a massively confident person around people I don't know very well.

Online I try not to act or speak to people in a nasty way because I know I wouldn't do this in reality either. I'm too much of a "anything for a quiet life" kind of mug :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Im pretty much the same on here as in real life. Friendly and polite and likes a good laugh but cannot suffer fools or their twaddle without saying something. On here and in real life this has gotten me in to more than my fair share of scraps but i'm too old and too stubborn to change my ways. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Post by dste » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:47 pm

markopoloman wrote:You also snore.
:lol:
Ha ha, says you. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm much more reserved on here - mainly because sarcasm / irony are not best communicated in text form. In real life where these things can be experienced first hand I am basically a git who does not tolerate idiocy or tread on egg shells with fools.

At least if I call you a cant in real life , you can see how I mean you to perceive it. If I type it , it could appear that I am an intolerant , insulting anti human sociopath. In person , at least you would know it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:16 pm

I get on with people both online and IRL. I'm just loveable :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:21 am

So, a year on do we all see this the same way. What about some of the new guys? Are we different on here?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 am

I would be intrigued what those that have met me would say lol

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:51 am

Pretty much yes.

I do think however that things escalate quicker as its harder to articulate things sometimes, and you can't pick up on peoples body language and tone of voice.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:43 am

You can (in theory) be more considered on your posts here than what you might blurt out in real life, though that does not always happen! You can also pretend you know more here too by sneakily looking things up first! ;)

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

You can post a knee jerk reaction on a forum, realise you are probably fueling an issue and delete it again.. In real life it tends to escalate once you open your mouth.

I say this becasue I just did that very thing.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:16 pm

the_hawk wrote:In forums I've read so many petty rows about meaningless subjects such as framerates or polygon counts or something equally nonsensical, I was wondering if people think that they are a different person on forums & social media than they are when they meet people face to face?

For me, I try to be pretty consistent but sometimes my sarcastic but fairly innocuous comments that really shouldn't be taken too seriously get taken completely the wrong way & I snap back.

Pretty odd behaviour when you think about it cos in real life I'd just laugh it off, but can get so wound up about it online.

Anyone else get a bit Jeckle & Hyde before they catch themselves on?
Yep definitely. I'm much more po-faced on here than I am in real life and less confrontational too I feel. The fact you can't see someone's body language when talking online leaves much open to misinterpretation. Jokes get taken the wrong way etc. For some reason I feel more desperate to make my point on here than anywhere else.

When some of the thread wars get started, I do think that you wouldn't talk that way to people in real life without getting a slap in return.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:45 pm

I hate everyone equally.. Seriously I largely get on with most people both here and in real life and most of the RG Members have meet me in real life...
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Nemesis wrote:you wouldn't talk that way to people in real life without getting a slap in return.
"getting a slap" is never a reasonable option. I'd really rather not associate with people who think otherwise.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.