Do you talk to people in real life like that?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

the_hawk

Do you talk to people in real life like that?

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm

In forums I've read so many petty rows about meaningless subjects such as framerates or polygon counts or something equally nonsensical, I was wondering if people think that they are a different person on forums & social media than they are when they meet people face to face?

For me, I try to be pretty consistent but sometimes my sarcastic but fairly innocuous comments that really shouldn't be taken too seriously get taken completely the wrong way & I snap back.

Pretty odd behaviour when you think about it cos in real life I'd just laugh it off, but can get so wound up about it online.

Anyone else get a bit Jeckle & Hyde before they catch themselves on?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

TMR

Re: Do you talk to people in real life like that?

Post by TMR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:27 pm

the_hawk wrote:In forums I've read so many petty rows about meaningless subjects such as framerates or polygon counts or something equally nonsensical, I was wondering if people think that they are a different person on forums & social media than they are when they meet people face to face?
i lean more towards framerates than polygons because i'm more an 8-bit bunny than anything else, but yes that's how i talk in real life; and they're neither "meaningless" or "nonsensical" to me because i have an interest in programming those systems, anybody with that interest who doesn't understand framerates is going to struggle!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah, well up yours!

OR type 99 to continue

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Joking of course, the thread really wasn't aimed at a particular thing, I could have just as easily said holiday destinations and marmalade.

OR type 99 to continue

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 pm

the_hawk wrote:Joking of course, the thread really wasn't aimed at a particular thing, I could have just as easily said holiday destinations and marmalade.
Oh yeah, backpedal now... too late, you have insulted me personally merely by insulting the things i talk about so bring it on!!

No honestly, i don't talk like that in real life but i wouldn't do it with any degree of seriousness here either. =-)

But i think the majority of people present themselves in pretty much the same way online as they do in the "real" world and the only thing that really differs is the subconscious stuff we pick up when face to face that tells us how serious someone is being; i can't think of too many people that i've met at an event after chatting online weren't at least approximately what they appeared to be online and even the more colourful characters aren't too far off the mark. That applies to more than just the retro gaming community as well, most of the Doctor Who fans i met during my "fanboy phase" weren't too far off what you'd see online. The topics may vary a bit, but i've head both the framerate and polygon arguments at events (from non-programmers and programmers alike) so those certainly happen.

As for me... like i said, i tend to be pretty much the same regardless within certain boundaries (there's a few topics i wouldn't discuss here for example, those are saved for late night IRC sessions...) so if i talk about something here with any obvious passion it'll usually be something i'd talk about (or more often, have talked about) in similar terms face to face; ask joefish, we ended up continuing a discussion about C64 hardware scrolling at Revival last weekend that started on the World Of Spectrum forums. =-)

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Generally I agree but (now several years ago I think) people were real keyboard warriors, they tended to be the people who didn't attend events so no great loss.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm a censored in here and a censored in real life
Going Solo...................

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 pm

The things I have to say are pretty much the same either way, it's the way I say them that's different.

When I type a post I try to use (with a few notable exceptions like "cos" for "because") correct spelling and grammar due to having a bit of time to think about it but face-to-face I'm rather more colloquial and my diction is more than a little sloppy. If I typed like I talk, you'd never understand me!*

*Or should that be:
Fi type li' I taw, yaud nehr udstah mih!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I'm a censored in here and a censored in real life
you mean you are intierly pixelated?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:18 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I'm a censored in here and a censored in real life
Cool, I'm also a fully paid up member of the see you next Tuesday club :lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 pm

i have no idea how people interpret me on here or how that relates to how i am in real life

the way i see myself is that if you dont know me i am very quiet, then once i realise i know you thats when you cant shut me up or stop the sarcasm

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm

I bite my tongue a bit more here than in person. Its easier to ignore twats when all you have to do is scroll down a bit though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:50 am

I think I am on here as I am in real life. But then those that have met me may think I'm an arse hole! :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

parappa

Post by parappa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:28 am

I remember before the net was widespread knowing "fanboy" people in real life who were just as bad as the most zealous forum chatters. I had a friend at college who was a nintendo fan who went nuts at me because I told him I was planning to buy X Box instead of Gamecube, nagged me daily about it, and when Resident Evil 4 was released for non nintendo systems, he wouldn't believe it and said it was a lie by the magazines to discredit nintendo.

Also, in the early 90s my friends dad bought him an amiga CD type of console, and I really liked the versions of Lemmings and Cannon fodder he had on it, so I went to my local game store to ask about it, and they all laughed me out of there, saying "don't come in here talking about that rubbish" (I was only 11 or so).

Another time I went to my local HMV to ask when Blair Witch Project was released (I hadn't actually seen it, just heard on radio it was "the scariest and best horror film ever") and they all laughed, and said "you want a pantomine like that". I know the film was nothing special as I did see it soon after. But I was embaressed thinking they all saw me as a massive fan who couldn't wait to see the film.

And when I was about 14, I was queuing up in HMV to buy a new Iron Maiden best of album, and 2 (bigger and older) skaters in Korn tops started picking on me, saying old metal was stupid and I was a spaz for getting it. I actually loved Korn at that time, but I was too embaressed to tell them that.

man I've had a lot of crap.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 am

No, otherwise people would endlessly be admitted to hospital after Nintendo related fighting injuries