Car salesmen

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Car salesmen

Post by crusto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:14 pm

I bought myself a car last weekend, and it's lovely! But I have to say that it's true what they say about car salesmen...

When I went to look at it the sales guy was great, couldn't help enough, keen to explain every feature etc. There was even an email waiting for me when I got home with all the cars details on it. Needless to say I eventually agreed to buy it. And still, the service was very impressive. A phone call here, a reminder there etc. I've put half a tank of diesel in for when you pick it up blah blah.

I picked the car up, went home, and was showing my brother around it when I noticed a hairline crack on the tail light. It was easily missed as it was on the reverse light part of it. I phoned the guy straight away to ask what the 'crack' was. He explained it should have been spotted by them, apologised profusely and arranged to phone me on either Monday or Tuesday to arrange getting it sorted.

I bet you can guess what happened next..

I waited Monday, Tuesday, gave him a days grace yesterday and phoned him this afternoon. Only to be told it was his day off and somebody would phone me back. Obviously this hasn't happened either. He will be opening a nicely worded reminder via email tomorrow.

This wasn't just some one man band either, it's a very large nationwide dealership that the car was bought from.

:lol: at myself for thinking I had done a deal with a decent salesman.

Eat your nans pants

flatapex

Re: Car salesmen

Post by flatapex » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

I have always bought cars off people that know my family, usually people my dad knows as before i was born my grandad had a very large scrap yard and my dad worked for him and these days my dad still knows people from that time, they are all fast approaching 60+ and known eachother from teenage years, so even as the son they can remember being born (i'm 33) they dont mess around.

The last guy i bought a car off had only known my dad about a decade or so, we were able to view the car in the dark with a torch and tell if anything was smoking how it shouldnt etc, we went back in the light but we knew it was fine. Although a couple of days later it developed a misfire- 2 days before christmas, my dad was going on at me to chase him up for the cost of parts- £10!

car cost £900 and i have done 14k in it with about £150 in servicing and repairs. Most expensive were the electric window jamming open £50, and same for a battery as the original packed in after 13 years. I dont count the tyres as i changed them as they were cheap and different makes. My missus calls the car a money pit lol

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 pm

So, what car did you buy?

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 am

It's an A3. It's lovely , although I've been unlucky with it so far. I've had it one week and managed to chip the windscreen and have a puncture!

Eat your nans pants

parappa

Post by parappa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 am

I had a really creepy experience five years ago with a salesman who wanted me to buy perfume from his stand which I worked near. He kept following me round repeating "for your mum or sister" and "£100 down to £15" in a droning, slow voice. He had obviously learned some kind of hypnotic technique he was trying to do.