Raspberry Pi

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by Matt_B » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:04 pm

AdvanceMAME and MAME4ALL are good enough for most 2D games from the 80s and early 90s, but beyond that you're just looking at varying degrees of disappointment.

Neo Geo games can apparently be persuaded to run on AdvanceMAME too, but I've had more joy using the gngeo emulator.

On the whole, it's worth remembering that the Raspberry Pi is basically just an underpowered PC on a par with one you might have had in the late-90s. It's got more RAM and accelerated video, but they don't tend to help much with emulation.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Thats what im afraid of, might stick to the Android device, PSP emulation and that

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 am

Late 80's, early 90's is pretty much the era I go for.
As long as it can handle the likes of Raiden/R-Type/Final Fight/SF2, I'd be happy.

As for the tiny arcade cabs, Prinny, they're quite a quirky novelty but a little too small :lol:
Suitable if I was a Primordial Dwarf perhaps. Nah, I'll stick full size controls :D
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:05 am

I can't decide between embedding one in an IKEA coffee table / glass-topped table, or building one into an arcade stick.
It's not too hard to wire microswitches onto the GPIO pins, but for the trouble you can get USB joystick encoder boards with full wiring looms for less than a fiver off eBay (ignore the ludicrously overpriced keyboard encoders sold by the home-arcade sites and just re-configure MAME to work off extra joystick buttons). For added nostalgia I'd love to add a 9-pin D port to the side of any arcade stick implementation and wire the pins to an encoder to act as the player 2 joystick.

One game I'm not sure about is Trigon - anyone tried it? The version of MAME32 on the PC that's roughly equivalent to the Linux fork doesn't handle the scrolling properly...

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm

joefish wrote:I can't decide between embedding one in an IKEA coffee table / glass-topped table, or building one into an arcade stick.
It's not too hard to wire microswitches onto the GPIO pins, but for the trouble you can get USB joystick encoder boards with full wiring looms for less than a fiver off eBay (ignore the ludicrously overpriced keyboard encoders sold by the home-arcade sites and just re-configure MAME to work off extra joystick buttons). For added nostalgia I'd love to add a 9-pin D port to the side of any arcade stick implementation and wire the pins to an encoder to act as the player 2 joystick.

One game I'm not sure about is Trigon - anyone tried it? The version of MAME32 on the PC that's roughly equivalent to the Linux fork doesn't handle the scrolling properly...
Have you looked here at the retro Pie? I used this a while but it was not to my liking, but It could work for you. There is a GIPO nes adapter in there too!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:46 am

Bored with the pi now :)

I just ordered a Matrix Arm Mini with 2gb ram and 1ghz chip.

Still system - on - a - chip tho
Thoughts and prayers.