Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by RetroBob » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:02 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:51 pm
I just bought the latest mag after a break of about a year just to read about the PC engine mini.
Not been on the forum for a while either until now.
Welome back!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:29 am

RetroBob wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Welome back!
Charming, I didn't get a welcome back, just a moan about my sig :lol:

Seriously though, it is kind of sad to see the place so quiet compared to what it was like a few years back. I guess people have mostly moved onto Facebook groups and such, that's where I've spent most time lately.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:29 am
RetroBob wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Welome back!
Charming, I didn't get a welcome back, just a moan about my sig :lol:

Seriously though, it is kind of sad to see the place so quiet compared to what it was like a few years back. I guess people have mostly moved onto Facebook groups and such, that's where I've spent most time lately.
LOL it was fairly polite - I was half asleep in bed if I remember correctly!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:11 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am
LOL it was fairly polite - I was half asleep in bed if I remember correctly!
I'm just kidding 😁

Definitely a lot quieter here now these days. I'm almost scared to post too much in case it looks like I'm trying to take the forum over or something and my name starts appearing as the last poster on every thread. Don't worry though, I won't start any 'Tea Or Coffee?' threads off or anything like that. 😂

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:17 am

Blimey Toxie ! i thought you had emigrated to Mars hahahaha
Welcome back mate.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 am

I think we can now say definitively that the forum is not in decline. It's way past decline, almost to the point where the only way is up.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:24 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:17 am
Welcome back mate.
Cheers Oldtimer, nice to see you're still around as well as a few other old regulars.

Sadly I've not managed to get to Mars yet although Liverpool isn't much different these days :lol:

I did have a brief period over on the Canteen as well but it just really wasn't for me, doubt many people over there realised I'd even passed through.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:29 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:24 pm
oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:17 am
Welcome back mate.
Cheers Oldtimer, nice to see you're still around as well as a few other old regulars.

Sadly I've not managed to get to Mars yet although Liverpool isn't much different these days :lol:

I did have a brief period over on the Canteen as well but it just really wasn't for me, doubt many people over there realised I'd even passed through.
Same here nobody talked about games on the Canteen just non stop politics and arguing about people’s rights on the other side of the world. It seems all gaming talk has moved to Facebook.

I’ve been much happier binning of the news and politics
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:29 pm
Same here nobody talked about games on the Canteen just non stop politics and arguing about people’s rights on the other side of the world. It seems all gaming talk has moved to Facebook.
A lot of it has, yeah...that's why I've spent most of the last few years hovering around there. I do genuinely miss the community we had on here a while back though, and I was really pleased when you found me over there a couple of years back and we got talking again.

Even Facebook's not immune to politics and nonsense though which is partly why I've started dropping back in here a bit.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:40 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:29 pm
A lot of it has, yeah...that's why I've spent most of the last few years hovering around there. I do genuinely miss the community we had on here a while back though, and I was really pleased when you found me over there a couple of years back and we got talking again.

Even Facebook's not immune to politics and nonsense though which is partly why I've started dropping back in here a bit.
Your one of my favourite people Toxie so I was glad to finally catch up with you again on Facebook. I do miss the community and how busy this forum used to be as it’s all moved to Facebook community's.. Shame as there’s a lot of people here such as Shadowman, Megamixer and Nokgod I’d love to add on Facebook not sure what I would do if Future delete this forum..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:31 am

I definitely prefer forums to Facebook, no question, but for now the conversation seems to be happening on that site for the most part. I hope somehow it changes in the future 🙂
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am

I think one of the things we've done on this forum that has discouraged discussion is funnel topics in to mega threads. I.e. there is only one thread to discuss ALL Switch games, when many of these would merit their own.

Also, we don't have many sub forums... look at something like Atari Age, they are hyper organised! We've got large buckets and so they can appear cluttered.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:50 am

I don't think the forum is in decline. There are loads of forums now and really good ones too. I follow about 25 busy forums, I mean I follow a busy one called Sega 16 bit, it's only a small forum but it's had around a 1000 users online . I think the most on here was about 200.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am
I think one of the things we've done on this forum that has discouraged discussion is funnel topics in to mega threads. I.e. there is only one thread to discuss ALL Switch games, when many of these would merit their own.

Also, we don't have many sub forums... look at something like Atari Age, they are hyper organised! We've got large buckets and so they can appear cluttered.
There's nothing to stop anyone from making a game/system specific thread if they want to discuss anything in particular, it's just the way things worked out with the current posters. No point complaining that the threads aren't how you want them - just post as you see fit. Make your own specific threads instead of adding to a mega thread.

Sub forums are the bane of active discussion. With sub forums, users have to delve in to find things. Great if you've an active interest in a particular topic, but it greatly discourages finding anything new or interesting. How do you stumble on something potentially great if it's squirreled away in a bit of the forum you rarely if ever visit? Atari Age is a prime example of a bad forum in that regard, it has way too many categories.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am
RetroBob wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am

There's nothing to stop anyone from making a game/system specific thread if they want to discuss anything in particular, it's just the way things worked out with the current posters. No point complaining that the threads aren't how you want them - just post as you see fit. Make your own specific threads instead of adding to a mega thread.

Sub forums are the bane of active discussion. With sub forums, users have to delve in to find things. Great if you've an active interest in a particular topic, but it greatly discourages finding anything new or interesting. How do you stumble on something potentially great if it's squirreled away in a bit of the forum you rarely if ever visit? Atari Age is a prime example of a bad forum in that regard, it has way too many categories.
All fair comments @Antiriad2097. I have started separate discussions where I think it's warranted.