Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty
Posts: 5337
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by pratty » Mon May 16, 2016 11:21 am

Megamixer wrote: ...or the legendary...

'Would you kill someone for a million quid??
As far as locked threads go I thought that was pretty tame to be honest, seems it was locked incase it got out of hand rather than because it did.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14865
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:24 am

pratty wrote: As far as locked threads go I thought that was pretty tame to be honest, seems it was locked incase it got out of hand rather than because it did.
I think it's just the pure concept that is legendary. Can't imagine anybody creating such a thread today though I suppose we do at least have the running digital diary of people's bowel movements...

The N64 thread was far more out of control and entertaining to read but I can't find it, even though I did about a year ago. Does old content get deleted or is the search feature genuinely naff?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by JazzFunk » Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

Search feature is really, really naff. And, sadly, I've been posting about my bowel movements, too.

In fact....nah, I shall resist the temptation hehe!

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13151
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by sscott » Mon May 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:
pratty wrote: As far as locked threads go I thought that was pretty tame to be honest, seems it was locked incase it got out of hand rather than because it did.
I think it's just the pure concept that is legendary. Can't imagine anybody creating such a thread today though I suppose we do at least have the running digital diary of people's bowel movements...

The N64 thread was far more out of control and entertaining to read but I can't find it, even though I did about a year ago. Does old content get deleted or is the search feature genuinely naff?
It's kept in a nuclear bunker I believe.
Image

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7479
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Megamixer wrote:
pratty wrote: As far as locked threads go I thought that was pretty tame to be honest, seems it was locked incase it got out of hand rather than because it did.
I think it's just the pure concept that is legendary. Can't imagine anybody creating such a thread today though I suppose we do at least have the running digital diary of people's bowel movements...

The N64 thread was far more out of control and entertaining to read but I can't find it, even though I did about a year ago. Does old content get deleted or is the search feature genuinely naff?

And the Homebrew XBLIG thread about Aquilibrium and Chiptune telling Beans "I raped it then threw it in a threshing machine." I spat my tea out and was crying with laughter at that thread.. Or Mr Vengeance having a rant at somebody for buying and playing George of the Jungle on PS2..

I always got on well with Krusty and spoke to him several times via pm about Survival Horror games.. Only thing ever time I see IT on telly I just laugh as I think of Krusty..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

pratty
Posts: 5337
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by pratty » Mon May 16, 2016 7:46 pm

sscott wrote:
Megamixer wrote: The N64 thread was far more out of control and entertaining to read but I can't find it, even though I did about a year ago. Does old content get deleted or is the search feature genuinely naff?
It's kept in a nuclear bunker I believe.
Found it.
http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=375

It's fun going through old threads, seeing users and threads from before my time. I laughed out load at the silliness of the "type your user name with your chin" thread. Needless to say I had to have a go; prtasyh. :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Treguard » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Wow, people saying yesterday's idiots were more entertaining than today's idiots, linking to bonkers arguments from years ago, is this what we've come to? To put it another way, is the is the forum in decline thread in decline? :lol:

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by The Beans » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm

A read of the recently revived "legendary" Tea & Coffee thread has changed my mind somewhat. I don't think the forum is in decline. It's obviously always been a bit crap and that standard has been nicely maintained. It's good to know.

So, same time next year then? This thread, bit of a whinge, salute the fallen, necro a thread or two for larks and continue what has become a bit of a forum tradition. We could put a few sarnies on. Make a do of it.

Be there or be square.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7479
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Double post
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue May 17, 2016 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7479
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 am

markopoloman wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:Sounds like I've missed some crazy bickering. Have there been any weird cases where it's transferred over into real-life physical shenanigans...fistfights, brawls, melees etc.?

I like hearing crazy forum stories.
Well both EastCoastEric and Kissfan threatened to turn up to the Play events and punch everyone in true scrolling beat em up fashion, as EastCoast put it "People who go to these events need they're nuts dipped in hot wax and dragged through broken glass". Supposedly Krusty went to an event as a name badge was made for him, no doubt you'ed be talking to somebody and they'ed start talking like they where underwater and speaking in Krustys voice.. Krusty sounds uncannily like Tim Curry when he speaks.. I think the Krusty badge was Marko playing a prank:)

Attending events and putting faces to people you know how to take them better on here, but in all serious everybody I've meet has been very down to earth and friendly.. Apart from a few COD meatheads who swore all the time at the people they where playing against, but they kept to the 360/cod arena..
Yeah, the Krusty40 name badge had to be done! Would love to have met him though after all the tracking down I did and finding all his details out! At least I know what he looks like in real life.
Wasn't Krusty supposed to be getting a lift to the event with you Marko or did he no show, as I'm sure I read you offering to pick him up this was before his ban and he was a new poster? How did the forum Members take it I imagine everybody stopped talking like the scene on American Werewolf in London.. I remember somebody called Sausage Pony posted either here or C&VG "I'm a pony of sausage and I suck Gary Gliters fishy Cyclops and my name is really Andrew Long".. Krusty said it wasn't his name was 'Bob Wade' which I realise was 'IT's name when it was the clown"

Krusty also appears in Koops Retro Passion sig with Corpsy and the Sausage Pony :lol:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 am

sscott wrote: What I am less keen on is how some people are quick to be offended. If someone slags you off, fine. But people read too much into some posts IMO. Peace!
Yeah, unfortunately there are people on here who take this whole forum business far too seriously and can't forgive/forget or apologise. Imagine building up a grudge against someone else they've barely spoken to directly (and certainly not in person), and based their irrational anger on something what was said to someone else...months ago?! Insanity.

Peace indeed. Clearly the valium needs to be administered properly and shared around. Or I have something else I could share around to help people chill out, but that would just start another debate and draw in lots of backward thinking people. We don't want more heads exploding with rage :P

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by JazzFunk » Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 am

I remember in the past when I used to post a lot more, sometimes there was a 'fervency of opinion' amongst certain folk that struck me as a little mental and unpleasant. Like, it's a forum about retro gaming and peeps were getting quite heated and cold and nasty. I'd understand it on a political forum or summat like that, but on a retro gaming forum? However, obsessives can be a little weird at times. It's just hard when you post in a topic and people are getting all heated and arsey about something ridiculous...and there's always that temptation there to REACT and say something heated back and regret it later. Even if it's merely over something minor and stupid, like that N64 thread.

The temptation to flame back can be overwhelming sometimes, and it makes you as bad as the guy kicking it all off. And it's all unnecessary stress over stupid things!

But, also, quite fun as well. You cannae win!

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:41 am

JazzFunk wrote:I remember in the past when I used to post a lot more, sometimes there was a 'fervency of opinion' amongst certain folk that struck me as a little mental and unpleasant. Like, it's a forum about retro gaming and peeps were getting quite heated and cold and nasty. I'd understand it on a political forum or summat like that, but on a retro gaming forum? However, obsessives can be a little weird at times. It's just hard when you post in a topic and people are getting all heated and arsey about something ridiculous...and there's always that temptation there to REACT and say something heated back and regret it later. Even if it's merely over something minor and stupid, like that N64 thread.

The temptation to flame back can be overwhelming sometimes, and it makes you as bad as the guy kicking it all off. And it's all unnecessary stress over stupid things!

But, also, quite fun as well. You cannae win!
Well it appears the biggest reactions (and overreactions) do seem to occur on topics that are political, at least in recent times. This is probably quite reasonable and justifiable although it does seem to spill over into other parts of the forum which is daft. Occasionally, there are silly heated debates about consoles vs computers etc, but generally it doesn't seem to get too out of hand.

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by JazzFunk » Tue May 17, 2016 11:45 am

I think in general, even on political topics...people should realise the absurdity of it all. It's a forum full of people writing stuff they don't really need to write. We could all be out drinking and shagging or doing something real. So in essence, forum posting is merely a frippery. I realise that, and I know you guys do too. Even if I 'fall out' with someone on a forum (and I rarely do), I understand the absurdity of it all. And that person is not an 'enemy'. It's just frippery that got outta hand. Obviously, on rare occasions, you can sense a truly unpleasant person on a forum. But on gaming forums, that's rare. It's more silliness than anything else.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 17, 2016 11:57 am

Shinobi wrote:
Wasn't Krusty supposed to be getting a lift to the event with you Marko or did he no show, as I'm sure I read you offering to pick him up this was before his ban and he was a new poster? How did the forum Members take it I imagine everybody stopped talking like the scene on American Werewolf in London.. I remember somebody called Sausage Pony posted either here or C&VG "I'm a pony of sausage and I suck Gary Gliters fishy Cyclops and my name is really Andrew Long".. Krusty said it wasn't his name was 'Bob Wade' which I realise was 'IT's name when it was the clown"

Krusty also appears in Koops Retro Passion sig with Corpsy and the Sausage Pony :lol:
No, Krusty lives in Southern Ireland (and I believe Andrew is his real name). Was a highly amusing (and annoying) time on the forum. I got banned for my amusing posts against him also :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest