Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by pratty » Thu May 12, 2016 5:26 am

Not trying to pick a fight with planetmatt, but this is his first post since August last year, and only his third post since October 2013. And he wonders why it's in decline. :? Maybe the forum would be more active and less in decline if people posted more themselves.

I don't mind people mentioning the forum ain't what it used to be, but it does irk me a bit when people complain about the forum being dull and inactive while they themselves do nothing about it, it's always someone else's fault, other people's posts aren't up to their standards, other people aren't starting worthwhile topics, other people have failed to inspire them to post. If people don't want to post or don't have much to say that's fine, but don't make 2 posts in 3 years, and only pop up again to tell the rest of us what a bad job we're doing of entertaining you.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Thu May 12, 2016 5:51 am

pratty wrote:Not trying to pick a fight with planetmatt, but this is his first post since August last year, and only his third post since October 2013. And he wonders why it's in decline. :? Maybe the forum would be more active and less in decline if people posted more themselves.

I don't mind people mentioning the forum ain't what it used to be, but it does irk me a bit when people complain about the forum being dull and inactive while they themselves do nothing about it, it's always someone else's fault, other people's posts aren't up to their standards, other people aren't starting worthwhile topics, other people have failed to inspire them to post. If people don't want to post or don't have much to say that's fine, but don't make 2 posts in 3 years, and only pop up again to tell the rest of us what a bad job we're doing of entertaining you.
But I explained the reason I no longer post here in my original post. It's dull. All the people I enjoyed interacting with are gone either by choice or by banhammer. The consequence of this is that the tone and attitude of the forum is not one I enjoy participating in and if chose to participate, I too would probably get banned within a month because my opinions and the way I choose to express them would not be acceptable to the forum majority. The forum is too dry. It's full of prickly little flowers who cry bully at the first sign of robust discourse and run crying to their mod mates and watch from behind the mod's skirts while the mod bans the mean man who made the little flower cry.

I responded solely because I AM a member who no longer participates so my views are probably pertinent to the discussion at hand and I imagine indicative of other members who don't check back in at all any more. I really don't care if that irks you. It's not a personal attack just my view and perception of this forum. You got rid of the all the people the collective group-think decided didn't fit. Well great, that's nice, are you happy with what you're left with? I'm not.
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:58 am

pratty wrote:Not trying to pick a fight with planetmatt, but this is his first post since August last year, and only his third post since October 2013. And he wonders why it's in decline. :? Maybe the forum would be more active and less in decline if people posted more themselves.

Lately, we're finding common ground pratty, and this is another example! :o :P

I've never even heard or seen this poster "planetmatt" until today (which may be a shame, as he also could be a Family Guy fan judging by his avatar). People like to moan about something as trivial as this, but perhaps its just nostalgia kicking in, or maybe their former clique has disbanded, and others are just "noobz" and don't quite share the same opinions as them. Former regulars coming on are of course very welcome, but in some cases its as if they've waited for the perfect moment to strike and make a grand forum "comeback" to make an announcement of why they don't come on as much anymore.

Also, its amusing how I often get blamed by a few people of being involved or starting all the arguments on here, as if before I joined, this place was cordial with everyone patting each other on the back and congratulating on being right all the time. One only needs to look back at posts pre-dating 2014 to see huge rows/arguments erupting and abuse occurring as well! And thankfully it does (at least in part), as it would be even more tedious if everyone just agreed all the time. Take the goggles off!
planetmatt wrote: It's dull. All the people I enjoyed interacting with are gone either by choice or by banhammer.
What kind of interaction did you actually have? You have made 130 posts in 11 years. Have you been on here under another username?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 12, 2016 6:07 am

To my mind only 4 people have been permanently banned
Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

That's a small number for a decade.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 12, 2016 6:42 am

Compared to the amount of wankmuffins I banned on another forum over a ten year period

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 7:18 am

Pratty myself I'm not complaining about the forum being dull as G Man and Matt have already put it, it's just the general attitude off certain posters who don't play well with others, which sucks the fun out of posting.. I don't post that much as I know I would get banned to my responses to / people.. I have been reported and given a strike for my comments to Finbar and Seph, I know I could see me getting perma banned if I said exactly what I had in mind to Seph I've held back a lot in my comments. I love this forum and I don't want that!!

For example I enjoy talking to Tregard We don't always agree on some things like in the politic's thread but he makes plenty of well written well argued comments and he always take his time to explain his views.. Whilst others make knee jerk insults like vile Racist tell that to Nigel Farage.... If Tregard had made the previous that Seph had make(or worse)we could joke about as I both like and respect Tregard and I know Tregards is only joking and think he's a great guy...

All I'm asking is treat people like you like to be treated yourself not snide and smarmy then angry and aggressive when your losing an argument or other people gang up on you. I don't have the self restraint and says things that are uncalled for in the heat of the moment but I'm only human..

Look at the PC/Console we didn't all agree but we had some good conversation and after talking to Matt I realise how wrong I am about PC gaming.. All I asked is if you don't like a certain console/computer ignore and detrail it for those of us that do.. That's why I say the forum is in decline seriously I've had some really good conversions in all about the games recently with Matt, Shadowman and Megamixer which is to me is what the forum is all about..

I don't see why I should walk on eggshells as certain people can't bE civil and have to resort to abuse and name calling.. I've been guilty of this myself but only in response to snide or abusive comments aimed at me.. I know I should ignore it by my mental state causes me to behave crazy... I'm only human and I make mistakes and have issues I'm working through..

I was going put a few Wii U games in the Niceness thread then I thought censored it I don't want people I don't like claiming them..

Marko I have read and re-read I don't think I've put anything abusive but so if you could let me know the offending text I will add it..

I don't think I'm a bad person and I get with nearly everybody and am told I'm thought highly off on these forums by other members..
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu May 12, 2016 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 am

I don't have any enemies :(

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu May 12, 2016 7:43 am

Shinobi, my comment wasn't directed at you, it was at planetmatt. :)

As I said it's fine to say the forum isn't what it was, but for a guy like planetmatt to barely participate and then finally post again only to say it's dull borders on insulting, however I'm prepared to accept that didn't mean that as a knock on the active members on this forum who try their best, but still it underlines the fact that actually posting makes the forum more active and interesting, and not posting doesn't help. That's not to say everyone must post, I've got nothing against lurkers, shy people or people that are too busy to get involved, that's fine, but to not post and then only post to say the forum is dull does seem to be shifting the responsibility to those that actually do post, who while not perfect are at least trying to keep the forum alive by actually posting.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:54 am

Shinobi wrote:
He knows he made a lot of enemies here but he still continues to randomly attacked Beans, Hot Rod and G Man on many an occasion but he admonishes me for lack of politeness and that Beans or who ever has put me up to it.. I was going put a few Wii U games in the Niceness thread then I thought censored it I don't want people I don't like claiming them, which goes against the spirit of the forum..
Shinobi, perhaps its best you try not to involve yourself in other peoples battles/feuds? I've no problem with you, and you've already explained your mental state to me on previous times you've randomly flipped out at me. I've actually been very restrained, understanding and patient with you, even if you think I'm the devil incarnate - I've hardly lashed out back at you, despite you saying some untrue and rather disproportionate and uncalled for comments towards me.

I don't think Beans or Rodimus can play the innocent parties here. They also can both stand up for themselves and give as good as they get. I don't "randomly" attack either of them. As for Gman72 - whatever arguments we had over a year ago, were resolved quite a while ago as far as I'm concerned. If he still has a problem with me, then it must be a private issue that he's not told me about, as we've kind of talked through it briefly in IRC and IM. I certainly have done my bit and not made any personal attacks on him.
Shinobi wrote: I don't see why I should walk on eggshells as certain people can't bE civil and have to resort to abuse and name calling.. I've been guilty of this myself but only in response to snide or abusive comments aimed at me.. I know I should ignore it by my mental state causes me to behave crazy... I'm only human and I make mistakes and have issues I'm working through..
I'm perfectly civil towards you and 99% of people on here. I've had rows and disagreements with some usual suspects, but they're hardly shy wallflowers or victims. It seems that just because I've offended your mates, you've taken it as I'm the bad guy. Fair enough, but its a moderated forum, so you know the consequences, as I do, of resorting to personal attacks. Keep it clean and fair and you may find I'm not the monster you assume I am.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Thu May 12, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu May 12, 2016 7:57 am

I think most forums tend to level out after few years,as topics get exhausted and recycled.
Im a member of a few forums for different hobbies ,and its the same in those , people come and go, but it bobs along ..

I dont post quite as much as i used to ,but thats mainly due to time constraints and spreading myself on other forums, but i still enjoy it here and have made a few friends and attended some meets etc.(plus the fact im old and cant type as fast lol) :lol: :lol:
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 8:56 am

pratty wrote:Shinobi, my comment wasn't directed at you, it was at planetmatt. :)

As I said it's fine to say the forum isn't what it was, but for a guy like planetmatt to barely participate and then finally post again only to say it's dull borders on insulting, however I'm prepared to accept that didn't mean that as a knock on the active members on this forum who try their best, but still it underlines the fact that actually posting makes the forum more active and interesting, and not posting doesn't help. That's not to say everyone must post, I've got nothing against lurkers, shy people or people that are too busy to get involved, that's fine, but to not post and then only post to say the forum is dull does seem to be shifting the responsibility to those that actually do post, who while not perfect are at least trying to keep the forum alive by actually posting.
No worries Pratty I realised that besides your one of the people I like:). This sort of debate was what I orginally intended I thought it best to make my stance clear when I say the forum has declined.. I sort of feel liberated that everybody is actually agreeing with me..

I'd say certain members have contributed to a decline in posting and the mods are stuck in the middle.. I can see Matts point of view Koops gets banned when most people think the wrong person got banned..
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

dste

Post by dste » Thu May 12, 2016 9:05 am

David wrote:I don't have any enemies :(
I'm your enemy. :evil:

I've just never told you as I'm too lazy. :wink: :P
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:21 am

Shinobi wrote: I'd say a certain member has made the forum unfriendly which is adding to a decline in posting and the mods are stuck in the middle.. I can see Matts point of view Koops gets banned when most people think the wrong person got banned..
Given your recent few posts, I'm assuming this "certain member" is me. Exactly what evidence do you have that I've made it unfriendly and adding to a "decline in posting"? You have some bizarre irrational vendetta against me, based on ancient arguments I've had with people you happen to like. This is about the first time we've spoken properly on this forum. I guess me and "Finbar" or whatever you call Elgin_McQueen just have to accept these outbursts and wobblies.

You seem to agree with Matts post about people who have got banned previously being unfairly treated, possibly so. I didn't even know any of those people banned, was before my time.

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 am

dste wrote:
I'm your enemy. :evil:

I've just never told you as I'm too lazy. :wink: :P
Oooh the excitement!!! :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 12, 2016 12:42 pm

The Beans wrote: Indeed he walks among us. :wink:
As does Koopa42, who foresaw his ban many months in advance and took appropriate steps.
And so does DreamcastRIP though he would deny it.
And several other members who just needed a break or a cleaner slate or whatever.
You tease :) . If those others are here then they must have drastically altered their posting styles...is it the original or current style which was 'put on' or over-exaggerated then? Hmm...
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To my mind only 4 people have been permanently banned
Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

That's a small number for a decade.
Surprised that chap who tried to erase the forum wasn't perma-banned. What about Mr. Vengeance? Or Krusty?!? :shock: .

Also, no idea what Lost Dragon ever did to warrant being banned...always came across like a nice, knowlegable type to me. :|
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.