Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 am

Original thread started in summer, revived during a warm spell. Strikes me that too many people are enjoying the weather to post here.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 am

Never mind "Is the forum in decline?", more like "Is the forum ever online!".

Keep getting a lot of those "Forum is offline" errors recently.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 10, 2016 10:01 am

FISH!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 10, 2016 10:36 am

Treguard wrote:Surely commenting on the forum being in decline in a thread last posted in 2 years ago is testament to the fact it isn't?
You'd be right if the thread was, "Is the forum about to disappear?" or something similar.

As it is, the place really is in decline. Fewer active members, fewer original topics, it's just the same old stuff being recycled. No need to panic though. I'm sure the 50th thread on which version of Doom is best will be along shortly and all will be right with the world again.
Failing that, maybe another thread about games that disappointed us will do the trick. Those always go down well, don't they? The last four threads on that theme have been real highlights.
Bear in mind that E3 is nearly upon us. Surely we'll see extra posts numbering in the tens because of that! Everybody likes to put the boot into everything at E3. It's what E3 is all about.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 10, 2016 12:38 pm

The Beans wrote: Bear in mind that E3 is nearly upon us. Surely we'll see extra posts numbering in the tens because of that! Everybody likes to put the boot into everything at E3. It's what E3 is all about.
Precisely.

Microsoft = sh*t
Sony = disappointing
Nintendo = facepalm
Everything else = nobody cares

Bring it on :D
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Yep... the glut of... ISNT E3 censored THIS YEAR... threads are nearly with us. Depressing.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:47 pm

We are a retro forum - so E3 shouldn't concern us quite so much with its lack of amazing new games. I thought we were all here to just discuss old games and debate the legalisation of drugs....and report the death of a celebrity on any given day.

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 2:20 pm

I hope a celebrity dies of at drug overdose at E3 just to see if this place implodes

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:We are a retro forum - so E3 shouldn't concern us quite so much with its lack of amazing new games. I thought we were all here to just discuss old games and debate the legalisation of drugs....and report the death of a celebrity on any given day.
We are and have been for as long as I've been here a forum of retro fans that also discuss modern games. There is always a buzz around E3 for people who enjoy modern gaming rather than people who feel it is their duty to crap on the games of today and enjoy moaning about them... you know the type... oh, the bloody DLC... Oh, the bloody cut scenes... oh, the bloody cost... oh, the bloody install, oh, the bloody etc etc etc.

I do feel the forum is quieter now than it has been for as long as I remember.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue May 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Time to revive the 'Tea or Coffee' thread? :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Original thread started in summer, revived during a warm spell. Strikes me that too many people are enjoying the weather to post here.
But the hot weather doesn't stop them from making 59 billion Facebook posts, so why is that? Fo
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:Original thread started in summer, revived during a warm spell. Strikes me that too many people are enjoying the weather to post here.
But the hot weather doesn't stop them from making 59 billion Facebook posts, so why is that? Fo
Facebook is HUGE and is an app on a phone - RG forum isn't quite as big and not an app on a phone. Simples. eek eek.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Treguard wrote:Surely commenting on the forum being in decline in a thread last posted in 2 years ago is testament to the fact it isn't?
That's the sort or response I expected from a certain Somebody who's willing to give murderers the benefit of the doubt and models himself after Che Guerrero – a racist sociopath who helped to establish a regime that butchered all its opponents and threw into jail anyone who disagreed with him.. I expected better from you Tregard..

Off Topic is dead mostly dominated by politic's ; and posts like some posted in this thread will ensure that no reasonable debate - with people giving reasoned arguments for their view, or willing to listen to a critique or others' arguments - will it ever happen?

'All about the games' forum everything that Beans says is 110% correct if Beans was president I would vote for him!! I'm going to add how newcomers are made to feel unwelcome, or when people ask questions that get ignored.. So yes the forum is declining imo..

The same petty arguments PC/X Box1 are censored - and Wii U owners needs there nuts dipped in hot wax and dragged through rusty glass.. PC Gamers derailing console threads when the same is done in the PC topics they don't like it..

I Love the forum and the mag is it wrong just wanting it to return to the community it was, it's fast becoming C&VG forum.. As some of the posts here have further proved my point and I can understand why people don't bother posting..
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Facebook is HUGE and is an app on a phone - RG forum isn't quite as big and not an app on a phone. Simples. eek eek.
A couple of well written well argued points Marko:) I agree about Facebook both on my 360, PS4 and Twitter there's been plenty of people online.. I don't use Facebook but know people who do and the hot weather has made no difference people still post non stop.. I just can't see nice weather making any difference even if they are outside everybody has the Internet on they're phone

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Shinobi wrote:
It's always hot here too, but I still post. :)