Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sephiroth81

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm

JazzFunk wrote:I think in general, even on political topics...people should realise the absurdity of it all. It's a forum full of people writing stuff they don't really need to write. We could all be out drinking and shagging or doing something real. So in essence, forum posting is merely a frippery. I realise that, and I know you guys do too. Even if I 'fall out' with someone on a forum (and I rarely do), I understand the absurdity of it all. And that person is not an 'enemy'. It's just frippery that got outta hand. Obviously, on rare occasions, you can sense a truly unpleasant person on a forum. But on gaming forums, that's rare. It's more silliness than anything else.
I agree, its totally absurd. I've had some hate filled comments posted in public towards me and in private messages as if I've slept with their missus or drowned their pet - jesus wept! Get a grip!

I guess some of the forum dramas can be somewhat entertaining and amusing though. Not too unlike "drinking and shagging" :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Imagine building up a grudge against someone else they've barely spoken to directly (and certainly not in person), and based their irrational anger on something what was said to someone else...months ago?! Insanity.
I actually think it's easier to build a grudge or store up anger against somebody you've never met in person. Don't have to ever have anything to do with them IRL and can't feel any sort of guilt or serious regret without being face-to-face and "feeling" the exchange of words (if you know what I mean). Very few people would say what they say in Youtube comments to somebody's face for example.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:
I actually think it's easier to build a grudge or store up anger against somebody you've never met in person. Don't have to ever have anything to do with them IRL and can't feel any sort of guilt or serious regret without being face-to-face and "feeling" the exchange of words (if you know what I mean). Very few people would say what they say in Youtube comments to somebody's face for example.
This is probably very true. As Laird would say, plenty of "keyboard warriors" on forums (and on youtube). Most of us are probably guilty of this at certain points.

Perhaps I should meet with Shinobi and Rodimus Prime in real life and we can have a laugh at how absurdly inaccurate and way off the mark we all are about each other. :P This might be brave of me, considering Shinobi wants my fingers broken!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
This is probably very true. As Laird would say, plenty of "keyboard warriors" on forums (and on youtube). Most of us are probably guilty of this at certain points.

Perhaps I should meet with Shinobi and Rodimus Prime in real life and we can have a laugh at how absurdly inaccurate and way off the mark we all are about each other. :P This might be brave of me, considering Shinobi wants my fingers broken!

Well 90% of RG Members have met me in the flesh and I've not gone Battle Royal on anybody's fingers yet :) I don't have an opinion about you one way or another.. As Linus said: "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." I don't do politics and I can't recall you posting on any gaming threads excluding the JXD hence why we don't speak.. Finbar don't hold a grudge against him just don't like him - hence why I called him an Humongous Faggot.. Can you imagine Finbar and I having a fruitful conversation? No.

As I have said before I'm dealing with certain issue's that are making me crazy.. But just like any illness, the effects are long-lasting, sometimes even permanent. I still get angry, so when you try to bait me with a snide or condescending comment on a bad day well you know the rest.. Even if I 'fall out' with someone on a forum (and I rarely do), for exampe Tregard shares some off the same views as you but me and Tregard get on very well, so he could say something and I wouldn't take offense as 's I know he doesn't mean it.. As Megamixer says to a faceless person online we all have no regret if we offend them because there words on a screen what's there history/grudges/thoughts/feelings on emulation or emu sites..

A serious response I'm off for a lie down
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

I may like you a little more in real life, it is a possibility. However I do to let people know if they have said something I dislike.

Bear in mind we started out quite civil and actually got on well, I even originally supported you in the vegetarian thread but you then said something I found very rude and offensive and you only strengthened your stance on it and it went downhill from there. Fact is if that scenario had played out in real life and you said what you said I would happily tell you to your face to go F**k yourself.

Don't worry though, me and Shinobi could still have that drink once you buggered off.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 pm

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 17, 2016 7:20 pm

All this talk about Krusty, he was an idiot thet just loved to derail threads.

Still it never worked all the time and sometimes he got put in his place.

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=45

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Don't worry though, me and Shinobi could still have that drink once you buggered off.
I don't think either of you should be drinking!

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 pm

I hope it's not dead I only started using fourms

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 am

Nin10dofan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 pm
I hope it's not dead I only started using fourms
With the amount of really old threads you've found, you may end up being the only one left keeping the place alive :lol:

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 am

If it's not dead it's deffo collecting it's pension while it's grown up offspring shop for retirement homes to stuff it into.
I recently caught in the re-IP banning of Chiptune after he apparently tried to come back. Way I see it this place probably needs the activity .
Almost never see staff on here anymore, too.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:05 pm

I pop my head round the door every few weeks/months but most of my collection is in the loft now apart from my Atari gear.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

dste

Post by dste » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Hadn't realised that I've only posted once in three months. :shock:

Just been busy with work and family and doesn't help that my laptop died as I'm not a massive fan of using forums on a phone.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 pm

I'm only a bit more active now due being stuck home all the time although the Tramadol fogs my brain making it difficult to concentrate.
The forum is quietly shrinking, it's definately not what it once was, possibly in part due to the market being what it is and emulation taking a hit from companies now actively chasing the Rom sites to stop them harming the sales of their often underperforming emulation units.

I haven't read the mag in a while either so can't guage that side though.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 am

The Forum as we Remainers knew it died a few years ago. A couple of popular, decent, inoffensive and regular posters passed allegedly inappropriate comment of a political nature in a politics thread. Jobsworthies in suits, goose-stepping the halls of Castle Retro took offence, barking out orders to the staff that said offenders should be birched, flogged, hung, crippled and banned for life. A large proportion of other regular Forumites, in an act of solidarity - Viva le Revolution! - walked away in disgust and can all now be found in a canteen having all the fun of the Fayre. The forum is now more like a library, with a chat room in the corner; and how many of you frequent your local library? Yeah, exactly. Welcome to Castle Retro's Forum.

Oh, and Hello everyone. :) Hello? Helllloo-oo? <sigh> Think I'll go and have a cup of tea....