Anyone here have a love for US sports?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Anyone here have a love for US sports?

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:59 pm

We ave a strong Baseball, American Football, Basketball & Ice Hockey leaguse here - anybody attend any games? I'm planning to attend an Essex Spartains game this weekend, if I can. http://www.essexspartans.co.uk/

I kinda missed the baseball season this year but am intending on going to at least 1 ice hockey game too.

c0nfu53d

Re: Anyone here have a love for US sports?

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 am

c0nfu53d wrote: Anyone here have a love for US sports?

*fsssssh* That would be a negative, soldier. preceed the extraction zone *fsssssh* :roll:

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am

I wouldn't say "love" but I do quite like NFL, I don't follow it very closely but I do look out for Miami Dolphin's scores as they're my team, and maybe watch some highlights now and again. I wouldn't watch British/European gridiron though.

I did try to get into basket ball and baseball but it didn't stick.

My brother though is a big baseball fan and goes to Amercia about once every year to take in some Boston Red Sox games. And he plays/played softball for the Manchester Meerkats, boss name. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

This is a weird one, in video game terms, yes.
Some of my favourite games were...........
World Series Baseball/ Basketball - Spectrum
Madden, NHL Hockey - Megadrive
NBA Jam - SNES

In real life, absolutely not. Unwatchable.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Massive nfl fan. Love it. Been a fan for 25 years. Off to wembley this year

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Interesting "fact" about the NFL.

In an average game, the ball is in play for approximately 11mins. :?

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Big fan of the New York Yankees here.
Huge baseball fan , followed them for as long as i can remember .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Gotta love baseball Loved playing softball at school too.

Currently watching the NBA D-League 2014 All Star game. Been meaning to watch it for a while now but just got around to it.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Baseball here
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Been watching NFL since Channel 4 first broadcast the Superbowl in 1983. Will be off to Wembley again this year, we haven't decided how many of the games we will/can attend from the three.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:32 am

Yeah a Raider fans organised a UK Black Hole for the game in September. So i've got a front row seat, it'll be a terrible view but as i'll be one of the crazys dressing up (I normally hate dressing up !) it'll be a laugh, plus we'll probably be on Sky/American channels a fair bit. Should be great

Watched the NFL since Channel 4, listened to games on Armed Forces Radio and now the best thing ever - nflgamepass.com

Can watch all games live (bar the Sky games which are blacked out) and watch them in the week as the games are archived. Best thing ever

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:40 am

I'm a massive basketball fan. NBA Game Time is amazing - all the regular season and playoff games, whenever you want. And it's on Apple TV too, which makes it super convenient for me. I managed to go to a Spurs game in San Antonio last year and the atmosphere was great, so much better than the games they do in the UK every year.

I used to play baseball when I was young, but after a while got a bit bored of it. I do like NFL though, despite still getting confused every now and then by the rules. In 2012 my wife and I saw a game at Cowboy stadium and it was brilliant, I've never been in such an awesome venue, with so many friendly and sociable fans sat around us.

We're also going to the NFL game at Wembley later this year, which should be good.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:We're also going to the NFL game at Wembley later this year, which should be good.
If you go to the Raiders/Dolphins game and see a Raiders fan with a 'Sloth' mask on from the Goonies that'll be me ! ;)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 am

psj3809 wrote:Watched the NFL since Channel 4, listened to games on Armed Forces Radio and now the best thing ever - nflgamepass.com
Hah hah, so did I! I had a slightly older school radio and amplifier system in my room in the 80s, where you could really tune it precisely on the dial. I worked out where the signal frequencies were being transmitted to Germany for the US bases, and that some would cross the UK in the south. So quite often I'd be in bed on a Sunday night, with the radio on to a live game. Wasn't a perfect reception but it was more than tolerable.

(random note: I can't use the word C U R L here without the forum erroring!)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 am

Mayhem wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Watched the NFL since Channel 4, listened to games on Armed Forces Radio and now the best thing ever - nflgamepass.com
Hah hah, so did I! I had a slightly older school radio and amplifier system in my room in the 80s, where you could really tune it precisely on the dial. I worked out where the signal frequencies were being transmitted to Germany for the US bases, and that some would cross the UK in the south. So quite often I'd be in bed on a Sunday night, with the radio on to a live game. Wasn't a perfect reception but it was more than tolerable.

(random note: I can't use the word C U R L here without the forum erroring!)
Ha ha glad you did as well ! Back then it was amazing listening to some of the games BUT from about 6pm-7pm the coverage wasnt great on the radio (was it 873 MW ?) and you often heard opera singing !

I remember waking up for a Raiders game at 2am back in i think 1988, Raiders monday night football, losing 24-0 at halftime, about 3.45am in the morning so i went to bed. Next day i checked the score on teletext, it said the Raiders won 30-27 ot, i was devastated (well glad they won) but gutted i missed a classic. Because of that i always stay up till the end no matter what the score is

But Gamepass now is amazing, i just try to avoid scores so i can watch the archived games in the week