When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Been watching this a bit lately as my kids have discovered it.

Now I always thought this was very good but my opinion has now changed. It is superb! Yes it can be argued that the story has been done a million times before in various guises but it's still carried off very well. And this is easily the best Blu Ray I have seen visually. It is absolutely amazing to look at, stunning. It's so easy to forget its CGI.

I needed to get that off my chest.

Eat your nans pants

Sel Feena

Re: Avatar!

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:00 pm

^ Platinum have announced a Legend of Korra game, so that might be worth keeping an eye on. I made the mistake of watching the film, which TBH has put me right off trying the telly show!

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Eat your nans pants

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Ah, right! :lol: Actually not a bad watch, and it does look stunning. Story's maybe a bit on the nose, but it's Michael Bay. Curious to see what the next film'll look like (and then maybe when he's done, he can finally crack on with Battle Angel Alita...maybe?).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Furngully..................

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Ah, right! :lol: Actually not a bad watch, and it does look stunning. Story's maybe a bit on the nose, but it's Michael Bay. Curious to see what the next film'll look like (and then maybe when he's done, he can finally crack on with Battle Angel Alita...maybe?).
Well, it's James Cameron :wink: so MB can probably crack on with Battle Angel. Which is just as well because I think there are 3 sequels planned..

Eat your nans pants

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

crusto wrote:Well, it's James Cameron :wink: so MB can probably crack on with Battle Angel. Which is just as well because I think there are 3 sequels planned..
Ah, Jesus, should never post when you're tired! :lol: I meant Cameron, and it's him that wants to do Alita.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Avatar was excellent. Got the 3d Blueray and the 3d is still up there with the best :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Avatar was decent. A predictable plot with every turn massively signposted, it really got by on visuals more than anything. It really didn't hold up great to a second viewing and I'd happily not watch it again, though its averageness wouldn't offend me if I had to.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 pm

crusto wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Ah, right! :lol: Actually not a bad watch, and it does look stunning. Story's maybe a bit on the nose, but it's Michael Bay. Curious to see what the next film'll look like (and then maybe when he's done, he can finally crack on with Battle Angel Alita...maybe?).
Well, it's James Cameron :wink: so MB can probably crack on with Battle Angel. Which is just as well because I think there are 3 sequels planned..
This, Cameron has stated that he plans to make "at least" another 3 Avatar films, which he intends to shoot back-to-back.....even then it would likely mean he doesn't talk on another project until 2019 at the very earliest

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 am

Visually it's a nice film but I don't understand why everyone went crazy for it like they did, the story was meh at best (which is the clichéd pet hate for this film) and it was just too predictable. It's a good film but I just don't get some peoples reactions i.e. best film of all time.
A mate of mine admits it bought tears to his eyes during certain scenes :shock: Why though I don't know...

As I stated above it's not a bad film but in my opinion is overrated

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:44 am

Yeah I wasn't impressed by Avatar either. While it looked pretty, I felt like I'd seen the story a million times before. The characters all seemed to fit into cliches - there didn't seem to be too much thought put into them. And I found Sam Worthington to basically be a really unlikeable protagonist, like he is in most of his films.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Avatar was decent. A predictable plot with every turn massively signposted, it really got by on visuals more than anything. It really didn't hold up great to a second viewing and I'd happily not watch it again, though its averageness wouldn't offend me if I had to.
Yeah agree with this, was visually stunning, i wouldnt watch it again though. Hope these new films are a success though

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:24 am

I saw it at the cinema and liked it, but I wasn't bothered about watching it again. Then it was on TV and I recorded it, but it took me over two years to actually watch it, and when I did, it was surprisingly good.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

Perhaps its better to watch it now the hype has died down? I just remember thinking 'is that it?'
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.