Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Roo

Re: Rik Mayall is dead

Post by Roo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Even I've bought it - and I'm Scottish!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Well, considering the sales push commenced 2 days later than all other releases, we've done him proud nonetheless - NUMBER 7 in the official Top 40 charts. Way to go, Noble Rik. 8)

He's now enshrined in footie lore having provided a great chant to roar our boys on with. Pity the news hasn't yet sufficiently filtered through to our travelling contingency in Brazil. Perhaps with our next game....

Still time to get him to Number 1; so what are you all waiting for?! :mrgreen:

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if there's a rik mayall TV tribute? I'd love to see Mr jolly lives next door again.
Scott me up beamie!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:Does anyone know if there's a rik mayall TV tribute? I'd love to see Mr jolly lives next door again.

Yeah, I've noticed there doesn't seem to have been one. Maybe the World Cup schedule means that it's dificult to change things like they normally would?

And I wonder if ITV are using that World Cup song in tribute to him?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:Does anyone know if there's a rik mayall TV tribute? I'd love to see Mr jolly lives next door again.
Tonight, BBC2. 22:30 - Bottom: Gas. 23:00 - Comedy Connections: The Young Ones.

And that's it. Good to see these again, but it's a pretty lame effort by BBC. We can only hope for a few more repeats over the coming weeks - after all, they repeat plenty of other stuff, most of it nonsense, so why not something in memoriam that we all enjoy?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed there doesn't seem to have been one. Maybe the World Cup schedule means that it's dificult to change things like they normally would?

Yeah, because a foreign football game is far more important than celebrating the life of one of the UK's comedy greats.

Stick the footie on a late slot and let us get the good stuff at a decent time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:

Yeah, because a foreign football game is far more important than celebrating the life of one of the UK's comedy greats.

No reason Gold couldn't have done so though; they've shown loads of his stuff over the years.

Gas is on? Good, that's (in my opinion) the best episode of Bottom. I remember me and a mate in tears watching this episode as Rik told a story about a pair of trousers called Dave.

Of all the celebs I've liked who have passed on, none have saddened me as much as Rik Mayall. From all accounts he was a genuinely nice bloke, and certainly one of the funniest. I remember the Blackadder cast describing Rik's guest appearances on the show, and how he utterly stole the screen for the brief moments he featured.

The world really is a less funnier place with his passing.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Tonight, BBC2. 22:30 - Bottom: Gas. 23:00 - Comedy Connections: The Young Ones.

And that's it. Good to see these again, but it's a pretty lame effort by BBC. We can only hope for a few more repeats over the coming weeks - after all, they repeat plenty of other stuff, most of it nonsense, so why not something in memoriam that we all enjoy?
Crazy isn't it. The death of Peaches Geldof was shoved in my face much more than Rik Mayall. Who (to be brutally honest) had way more talent than her and whose death wasn't self inflicted.

Eat your nans pants

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:39 pm

crusto wrote:
Crazy isn't it. The death of Peaches Geldof was shoved in my face much more than Rik Mayall. Who (to be brutally honest) had way more talent than her and whose death wasn't self inflicted.
The same happened with Diana Spencer and saint mother Tereser. It's not until you lose a real character like Rik you realise how important they've been. Did anyone else think it was internet bullsh!t when you heard it. I had to check the news before I believed it.
Scott me up beamie!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 am

crusto wrote: Crazy isn't it. The death of Peaches Geldof was shoved in my face much more than Rik Mayall. Who (to be brutally honest) had way more talent than her and whose death wasn't self inflicted.
Even Ultimate Warriors death wasn't shoved in our faces as much as hers

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Yeah, because a foreign football game is far more important than celebrating the life of one of the UK's comedy greats.

As much as i like Rik Mayall they're not going to move the times of any world cup games are they. They get a huge audience, the times been set in stone for months and theres plenty of other channels to put any Rik Mayall stuff on. The world cup gets a good audience even when theres 'foreign football' teams playing in it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:43 am

I'm surprised it was you who took the bait on that one. Obvious troll is obvious,you usually point out when I do it :lol:

Still, shame the stuff shown has to be so late. I'm up for work at 5:45, so 10:30pm is really the limit for TV. As you say, there's plenty of channels nthat could have this covered. I guess YouTube will have to suffice.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

I dont mind the different timezones, i remember the World cup in Japan/Korea back in 2002, funny people at the pub at 8am to watch the England game. As a footy fan its a bit frustrating the games on late this time.

Anyway i hate getting old ! Its depressing seeing stars on tv you 'grew up with' sadly pass away. Specially at quite a young age really.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Glad Rik's song is doing so well. Isn't it so him though that the song has a huge 'NOB' in the title? :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Still looking for a Eddie for Play Expo. (Bald head, glasses, brown suit, drunk easy)

Hoping to get a costume going for Geek Night at FAB Cafe