Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by flatapex » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 pm

england played well enough, beating italy was always going to be unrealistic

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:45 am

Too bad England, they didn't deserve to win but a draw would have been fair. Italy were clearly better in the first half, and while England took control after it was 2-1, part of that is down to Italy holding on in the classic Italian way to what they have. Worryingly, Hodgson said it was the best performance by England in his time as a manager, yet they still lost.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:50 am

It will be extremely important for Italy to recover De Sciglio, even more than Buffon (seeing the solid performance by Sirigu), so that he can play as left side-back, Chiellini goes back to the center of the defence (that is his true position) and Paletta (too slow) goes back to the bench.

As for England, I think there's not much to be disappointed about, except the result. It was a balanced match (a lot more than in 2012), the team had a good reaction after the 2-1 goal, and qualification is still within reach. After yesterday's games I wouldn't even be surprised to see Uruguay finish last.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:20 am

Dont feel too bad despite the defeat. Rooney gets that 'easy' goal and its 2-2 and we're raving on about the young players. Created a ton of chances but just couldnt finish at all. Frustrating to start off with a defeat, i thought it was going to be a draw before hand.

Sterling was superb, Welbeck did well. Rooney was pretty poor but as they say he did set up that first goal. Defensively i thought we were pretty poor, Italys second goal was a bad one, just let Balotelli get away from him at the back

Roll on thursday

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm not ashamed to say I went mental when Sterling scored, until i realised he hadn't. :lol:

That one caught out everyone in the room, thought he'd scored a right screamer.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Thought England played fine, with Sterling the highlight, not over yet but we never make it easy for ourselves.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:24 pm

We sent out a lineup as a must-win game, when all we needed was a draw. It was so attacking that Rooney had to spend the majority of his time helping out the midfield/defence.

I just wish that England would play a standard 4-4-2 which Sturridge and Rooney UP FRONT, and not constantly having to supplement defence/midfield. I think that Rooney was outstanding in the position he was asked to play, but it isn't his best position, and he's never going to score against top opposition. Plus he'll be absolutely knackered by the end of the game, never mind the following one.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Yep, Rooney's position is puzzling :shock: he could be lethal up front, while he's asked to sacrifice himself in midfield if not in defence. This is something that worked very well with Sir Alex Ferguson, but a national team is something different and England is not Man United (with the likes of a Van Persie or a Van Nistelrooy as strikers). I'd definitely like to see him alongside Sturridge with maybe someone like Carrick to cover in midfield.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Hiro wrote:Yep, Rooney's position is puzzling :shock: he could be lethal up front, while he's asked to sacrifice himself in midfield if not in defence. This is something that worked very well with Sir Alex Ferguson, but a national team is something different and England is not Man United (with the likes of a Van Persie or a Van Nistelrooy as strikers). I'd definitely like to see him alongside Sturridge with maybe someone like Carrick to cover in midfield.

exactly. If they require a player behind the front two to help midfield when necessary, then employ a player who plays in this position regularly. Not only are England playing a player out of position, they are also taking away one of our best striking options. Imagine if Van Niestelrooy or Ronaldo constantly had to track back to defend? Well you'll have to consider imagining it, as no Portugese/Dutch manager would adopt such tactics.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 pm

True, England don't do him many favours. But I'm of the opinion he isn't world class anyway, a world class player simply cannot miss the target from where he did.

edit: that's not just an "attack"on Rooney alone. I have seen enough of England over the years to form the opinion that think we don't don't possess 1 truly world class player anywhere in our squad. Some good players yes but world class? No way. Sterling and the the Everton lad have bags of potential though and could be top drawer in the future

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Currently France 2 Honduras 0. France are playing well and Honduras are down to 10 men. Honduras are a filthy side it has to be said. And the goal line tech is a bit iffy to say the least lol.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:25 pm

crusto wrote:Currently France 2 Honduras 0. France are playing well and Honduras are down to 10 men. Honduras are a filthy side it has to be said. And the goal line tech is a bit iffy to say the least lol.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the tech itself, just them flashing up 'no goal' then 'goal'. Did anyone really think that the shot onto the post had gone in? No. It was always about the keeper scooping it back from beyond the line.

I think going forward they will learn to look at the FULL incident before giving the crowd any indication. As was said, if that had been Brazil vs Argentina in the final , I dread to think what would have happened.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:10 am

Even though it was obviously a Valladares oggie I'm thinking Benzema will be desperate to claim it - you know what strikers are like when they sniff even the slightest chance of a hat trick...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I didn't think there was anything wrong with the tech itself, just them flashing up 'no goal' then 'goal'. Did anyone really think that the shot onto the post had gone in? No. It was always about the keeper scooping it back from beyond the line.

I think going forward they will learn to look at the FULL incident before giving the crowd any indication. As was said, if that had been Brazil vs Argentina in the final , I dread to think what would have happened.
I dont see why the manager the other day was moaning about that goal, yeah when it hit that post it wasnt in but it automatically showed the replay, then the goalie tipped it over the line.

They should stop having the replay the second a goals SO obvious, just show the replay when its a close call. Think its good having that technology and it helped during that game the other day. Gonna be useful in the knockout stages

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Even though it was obviously a Valladares oggie I'm thinking Benzema will be desperate to claim it - you know what strikers are like when they sniff even the slightest chance of a hat trick...

He will , but he has no chance; the original shot wasn't even on target.

As an aside, the spray paint is such a great idea. Having watch South American football in the past, it's no stranger to me; I'm just surprised it hasn't been introduced sooner. I can well see this making it's way into the English league now. Was also a great laugh the other night when a player was moaning about getting some spray on his foot - whining git! :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"