The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:01 pm

I have no interest in the World Cup but I have both Holland and Spain in our works draw.
Splink!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 am

felgekarp wrote:I have no interest in the World Cup but I have both Holland and Spain in our works draw.
Well Holland is a good shout at the moment.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:57 am

Leaving work yesterday myself and a colleague were discussing watching the Spain vs Holland match. Somewhere between leaving and it being on I somehow completely forgot that it was on and missed it. :cry:

Did watch the first half of Chile vs Australia though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:32 am

dste wrote:Leaving work yesterday myself and a colleague were discussing watching the Spain vs Holland match. Somewhere between leaving and it being on I somehow completely forgot that it was on and missed it. :cry:

Did watch the first half of Chile vs Australia though.
The Holland match was a corker.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Mayhem wrote: It's part and parcel of the modern game. Having said that, if all instances of what led to the penalty were penalised, you'd get 10+ penalties per game.
If you say so. Would a free kick have been a given if it had happened outside of the box though? I know penalties can't be dished out left, right and centre but it's ridiculous that the same blatant piece of twattish obstruction should have no consequences on a certain area of the pitch. Oh well, it's done now and if England were to profit from a similar situation tonight, would any England fans be feeling that Italy were cheated? I wonder :wink:

Spain v Holland was amazing last night. Bit annoyed that the England match tonight is so late as I start work early on a Sunday morning so it looks like not much sleep tonight.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Everybody talking about the "super group" with Uruguay, Italy and England... and look at Costa Rica :D

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Hiro wrote:Everybody talking about the "super group" with Uruguay, Italy and England... and look at Costa Rica :D

Not good for England's chances though - if Uruguay won this they may have settled for a draw against us.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Hiro wrote:Everybody talking about the "super group" with Uruguay, Italy and England... and look at Costa Rica :D

Not good for England's chances though - if Uruguay won this they may have settled for a draw against us.
Well, also our chances of having a "let's not hurt each other" game with Uruguay in the 3rd match are gone :mrgreen:

It always ends in dark

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Yeah, it's now the official group of death.

Nice little hack there from Maxi Pereira at the end there too; at least he won't be troubling any England players when the teams meet.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Hiro wrote:Well, also our chances of having a "let's not hurt each other" game with Uruguay in the 3rd match are gone :mrgreen:
We play Uruguay next and Costa Rica last.

We've been playing really well and effectively the Italians have scored from the only two real chances they've had...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Brilliant performance by Costa Rica , not very good from Uruguay. If Suarez wasn't fit to play the last 20 mins vs a 'minnow' , will he be fit enough to play 90 mins against us a few days later? Unlikely.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Hiro wrote:Well, also our chances of having a "let's not hurt each other" game with Uruguay in the 3rd match are gone :mrgreen:
I'm Italian :P ah, good result :) always a pleasure to beat England 8) Darmian, what a surprise. Excellent game for him :shock:

Now when England and Uruguay will be at each other's throat, Italy won't risk to underestimate Costa Rica, at least.

It always ends in dark

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Hiro wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
I'm Italian :P ah, good result :) always a pleasure to beat England 8) Darmian, what a surprise. Excellent game for him :shock:

Now when England and Uruguay will be at each other's throat, Italy won't risk to underestimate Costa Rica, at least.
Well played by Italy. I think the Confederations Cup last season was excellent preparation

Italy will now beat Costa Rica so that they can rest their players against Uruguay for the next round. Even so, if England can draw with Uruguay and beat Costa Rica by a couple, then we should still qualify. My only fear is that tht was England playing at their best, whilst Uruguay couldn't have played any worse.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Another "oh so nearly" performance by the 2.5 lions. Hilarious if you ask me, Rooney? Top drawer :lol:

Eat your nans pants

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, it's now the official group of death.

Nice little hack there from Maxi Pereira at the end there too; at least he won't be troubling any England players when the teams meet.
it looked like his teammate was giving a good shove from the other side as well