The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:07 am

Yeah, England have certainly done what they've had to do, and not without a certain amount of flare at times.

It's just that they could potentially reach a World Cup final without having had to beat a team with a FIFA ranking of higher than 16, and that's undoubtedly taken a bit of luck.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 am

You can only beat what's put in front of you as they say.

I have never known a world cup like it, where nearly all the big name teams (France excluded) have been dumped out before so early.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 am

I have never known a world cup like it, where nearly all the big name teams (France excluded) have been dumped out before so early.
The closest was Japan/Korea 2002. Germany in that tournament were like England now - unfancied with pretty average players. They had a good draw and somehow got to the final where Brazil beat them. My god, if England went one step further, they would be the worst team ever to win it by a mile!
The Retro Gaming IRC channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Spector wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm
The Laird wrote:

The closest was Japan/Korea 2002. Germany in that tournament were like England now - unfancied with pretty average players. They had a good draw and somehow got to the final where Brazil beat them. My god, if England went one step further, they would be the worst team ever to win it by a mile!
What rubbish Speccytor! If England beat belgium/france in the final, how can they be bad team?
I remember Italy in 2006, scraped through to the final, scraped through the final itself. Do you think the Italians cared? Did they f**k, and neither should we.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 pm

:mrgreen:

To be honest when I made that comment I was wondering when someone would have a go at me heh. If England win the world cup, it'll be amazing, no question, but what players in that team would play for a Madrid or Barcelona, Bayern Munich or whatever? Harry Kane??? I don't think there'll be too many people chasing his signature after the world cup.

They've done well, but let's calm it and accept they have had a very lucky draw. If they do beat France or Belgium, you've got to hand it to them. For me though, England v Croatia is the runners up World Cup final!
The Retro Gaming IRC channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:44 am

I'd think that if England win the players will be practically drowning in offers.

That said, it's rarely a wise move for an England player to go abroad. The style of play is different, there'll probably be a language barrier, and nowhere has a concentration of big money like the EPL.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 am

It's certainly been an interesting World Cup for all the 'big' teams going out.

Not going to lie, it was good to see Spain and Brasil going out purely to see Ramos and Neymar having to head home.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Spector wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm
The Laird wrote:

What rubbish Speccytor! If England beat belgium/france in the final, how can they be bad team?
I remember Italy in 2006, scraped through to the final, scraped through the final itself. Do you think the Italians cared? Did they f**k, and neither should we.
Totally agree. I’m sure past winners have had the odd lucky group or draw in the past. Ronaldos meltdown for Brazil helped France in that final. Who cares though ! Just enjoy ! People just want to criticise whatever. True football fans dont care, its just the bandwagon 'actually i will start watching it now' fans who seem to be moaning about the 'easy draw/worst team ever to win it possibly' etc. Crazy

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am

Still can't believe England reached the semi-finals. I had my doubts about Southgate as manager, but by going with a young squad he has achieved a lot. We need to keep attacking though, as the Sweden game showed - if we try to sit back and defend a lead, we will lose.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am

merman wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am
Still can't believe England reached the semi-finals. I had my doubts about Southgate as manager, but by going with a young squad he has achieved a lot. We need to keep attacking though, as the Sweden game showed - if we try to sit back and defend a lead, we will lose.
Yep i'm still in shock, wasnt keen when Southgate was announced as manager but the 'big names' from the past didnt really work out. Its a very young squad and after the Iceland fiasco i just wanted to get out of the group stages, that would be a bonus. What you cant count out is the momentum we have, thats huge, similar to what Greece had back in 2004. Get that momentum and that confidence and the young players will play even better.

If we had lost to say Germany or Spain in the semis i could have 'handled' that but if we lose to Croatia i will be gutted. Wont get a chance like this for yearssssss. Not saying we're flat out favourites but we've got a great chance to get to the final

Roll on 7pm

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am

Well gutted ! But one stat they showed late on said it all, Croatia 7 shots on target at goal, England 1.

Think we just ran out of steam second half, not any great chances. Kane should have scored in the first half, if he had tapped it across it would have been a goal. Shame

But Croatia were the better side. Think if you told me in May we would get to the semi's i would have been happy as hell. Just a shame it wasnt one step further, but what a great summer its been.

Not bothered by the 3rd/4th game on saturday i must admit

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am
Well gutted ! But one stat they showed late on said it all, Croatia 7 shots on target at goal, England 1.

Think we just ran out of steam second half, not any great chances. Kane should have scored in the first half, if he had tapped it across it would have been a goal. Shame

But Croatia were the better side. Think if you told me in May we would get to the semi's i would have been happy as hell. Just a shame it wasnt one step further, but what a great summer its been.

Not bothered by the 3rd/4th game on saturday i must admit
Agreed. Croatia either changed gear in the second half, or England just fell flat or shut up shop. They certainly have more current world class players than England have, but obviously its a more experienced team and England have a lot of young talent.

Ugh, can't be arsed with the 3rd place game on Saturday. When we reached the semi-finals after beating Sweden, it was nice to know we would then have two more games to play whatever happened, but the motivation now to watch that game has diminished! Another anti-climatic game against Belgium in a matter of a couple of weeks!

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 am

It was a good run, nice for the country to have something positive to get behind.

I was disappointed not to make the final as Croatia were quite beatable, but not devestated.

I think the lack of a truly creative midfielder was our biggest problem, that and Sterling's headless chicken lack of composure.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 am

Yeah i think it was great to watch. Russia did a great job, all this crap before hand about the russian 'ultras' and that, nothing seemed to really come of that. The english fans seemed well behaved even when we lost

Great to get this far, kept it really interesting. Some really good games, lots of shocks etc. Great to see the country get behind England, the penalties win was great (just to win one !!!), shame they fell flat late against Croatia but the team exceeded my expectations

Hopefully the young team can improve but a great tournament

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am

You do wonder if we will ever get such a lucky route through any time soon. It was quite remarkable. The only world class team we played was Belgium, which we of course lost.

This semi-final, 3rd/4th finish is a great result, but lets hope we don't get too carried away. We finished group runners up, very narrowly beating Tunisia with an injury time winner, beat a bunch of part-timers in Panama, lost to Belgium, squeezed past an average Columbia through penalties, beat an average Sweden and lost to Croatia. I know its great we got there, but a bit of perspective and a reality check is required to truly build and improve!