The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

Surely in an ideal world we'd win the thing!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 pm

In an ideal world Wales would qualify!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:In an ideal world Wales would qualify!
Must admit i always want the home nations to qualify for the world cup or for the euros. Heres hoping Wales do it

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

^ Well, first of all we need a striker worthy of the name.
Simon Church, Jermaine Easter et al are hardly going to strike fear into defences the same way Rush, Hughes, Saunders, Bellamy etc. did.
That's why we've toyed with playing Bale through the middle even though it's not really his position.

We've got a fair number of good players at the moment, problem is quite a few of them play in the same position thus exposing weaknesses in others. For example - full backs.
We've got plenty of choice on the left - I'd be happy with any of Ben Davies, Neil Taylor, Paul Dummett and Declan John starting but if Chris Gunter isn't available on the right, we're kinda screwed. Sam Ricketts - a player who spent last season in League One?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:In an ideal world Wales would qualify!

Perhaps Gareth might agree to play for you then! :lol: :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, we are rather reliant on the whims of Real Madrid in that regard. It's the Giggs situation all over again!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:16 am

Gareth Bale should be given a free role to play wherever the f*** he wants to, a bit like ronaldo.
if he stays fit and actually plays the qualifiers, with enough reasonable players around him (they don't have to be world-beaters, just solid top-championship > mid premiership standard), he could quite possibly drag wales the extra distance to qualify by himself. with joe allen and aaron ramsey coming on a lot in the last couple of seasons, and up front, vokes could have take a step up with burnley next season, too - though i believe ings is the "better" prospect of those two?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

^ You'd think Vokes would be first choice but Coleman does have a slightly odd selection policy sometimes and he does like Church (despite only two goals in 26 games, Vokes is a more respectable 6 in 31).

And agreed on Bale - he's easily our biggest threat and I'd give him licence to roam, it's just a question of having him available. The Euros do offer an opportunity with its expansion to 24 teams - we should at least be able to battle it out with Israel for the third place play-off spot cos Belgium and Bosnia are the obvious class in the group.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 am

A random fact someone pointed out to me - for perhaps the first time in history we've had a final played where there are two living Popes - one German and one Argentinian. Bet that made Sunday prayers awkward.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ You'd think Vokes would be first choice but Coleman does have a slightly odd selection policy sometimes and he does like Church (despite only two goals in 26 games, Vokes is a more respectable 6 in 31).

And agreed on Bale - he's easily our biggest threat and I'd give him licence to roam, it's just a question of having him available. The Euros do offer an opportunity with its expansion to 24 teams - we should at least be able to battle it out with Israel for the third place play-off spot cos Belgium and Bosnia are the obvious class in the group.
Forgot Israel is now 'part of europe'. Ridiculous ! First eurovision and now the euros !!!

But yeah totally forgot its expanded to 24 teams, should be good

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Problem is the Asian confederation won't have them for obvious reasons (just imagine if they were drawn in a qualifying group with Iran, Syria, Iraq and Lebanon! :shock: ), they did at first go to the Oceania group but the distances were too great and the competition too weak other than Australia and New Zealand (this being before Oz joined the Asian teams).

So the only realistic option was to join UEFA - not too much travelling to do and pretty much all secular societies.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am

Gawd, remember when this forum was so busy we could have 32 page threads about the World Cup.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 am

My excuse is that it's all on in the middle of the night here. I might stay up for some of the big games in the knockout stages though.

The only match I've managed to watch anything of so far was the Australia vs France one. Not going home with three defeats would be about the best that Australia could hope for, while France should progress to the second round, but I doubt that they'll win it.

What do people who've actually seen the other matches think of the teams so far?

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:19 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 am
What do people who've actually seen the other matches think of the teams so far?
The pick of the bunch so far is Portugal v Spain. These look like the two teams most likely to win the World Cup. Spain has the best all-round team (minus a manager) but the sheer brilliance of Christiano Ronaldo could be enough to lift Portugal to glory (he's that good in this WC).

Mexico were well worth their win against Germany (the build-up to their goal was superb). England have surpassed all expectations (which wasn't too difficult).

In general, lots of little fledgling teams are giving the bigger countries a run for the money. Russia are proving to be a very powerful surprise package with 6 points and a +7 goal difference after two games but we'll see what they're made of when they come up against stronger opposition.

In short, you should be watching this World Cup.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am

English Invader wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:19 am
In short, you should be watching this World Cup.
That's easy for you to say when the majority of matches aren't on between 1AM and 6AM in your time zone. :D