The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Spector wrote:As we approach the last game, I'd like to hear opinions on who will win tonight.
[absurd ego rant]So far, I've predicted correctly the winner of every single knockout game in this World Cup, so I need one more result to complete the set [/rant]- I think Argentina will do it, though if Germany win, that would be great too because they deserve it after making fools of those Brazilian imposters.

More than anything else, let's hope it's not another disappointing 90 minutes where the two teams wait for something to happen.
Wrong answer, Spector. The Fatherland won. They just did it. 1-0. The game was quite laboured, lots of trips here and there, lots of chances, but in the end - Germany did it.

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:17 pm

And goodbye to Alan Hansen. I know a lot of people don't like his moaning about defenders, but I think Hansen did a marvellous job as a pundit. Well done to Alan for decades of great football punditry, and hope he has many years of golf left in him!
sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:53 am

Well i wanted Argentina to win (had them in the work sweepstake) but Germany were better yesterday and it was a great goal to win it. I cant believe the goal Arguine (sp ?) missed, to be fair i think he was as surprised as everyone else was but a bad miss in a final.

When it got to the second period of extra time i did want penalties i must admit ! But a fine goal and Germany were the best team in the competition this year so its good the best overall team win even if it was the (puts on scouse accent) the germans ;)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:24 am

I don't think Germany created the best chances, but they worked a lot harder and deserved to win for that reason.

Argentina missed three sitters though, one each for Higuain, Messi and Palacio. On another day they might all have gone in, but if you can't put them away, you don't deserve to win. It's simple as that.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 am

Cannot believe Argentina never got one shot on target :shock:

Well done Germany they did deserve it, but Messi player of the tournament :?: that's a fix surely.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Spector wrote:As we approach the last game, I'd like to hear opinions on who will win tonight.
[absurd ego rant]So far, I've predicted correctly the winner of every single knockout game in this World Cup, so I need one more result to complete the set [/rant]- I think Argentina will do it, though if Germany win, that would be great too because they deserve it after making fools of those Brazilian imposters.

More than anything else, let's hope it's not another disappointing 90 minutes where the two teams wait for something to happen.
Wrong answer, Spector. The Fatherland won. They just did it. 1-0. The game was quite laboured, lots of trips here and there, lots of chances, but in the end - Germany did it.
I'm glad the Germans won even though it meant I got the last prediction wrong as they clearly deserved it. Argentina had their chances, but look at the way they were set up. Disappointed in them, especially with the quality they have. Once again, the team that played to win did win, and that can only be good for the future of the game. Shame I missed the goal (really annoyed about that)! :evil:

World Cup 2014 is over, and if you excuse the cliche, it was a game of two halves. The group matches were superb, but the later stages were disappointing. The best knockout game I saw was Brazil-Chile; many of the games however took too long to get going. The quarter finals in particular (France-Germany, Argentina-Belgium, Holland-CR) were very poor, but I'll never forget that crazy semi as long as I live.

Was it the 'best world cup ever'? For the Premiership generation, probably, but not in real terms. We didn't see a truly great team, a great player at his peak, or great matches like Brazil-France 86, Brazil-Italy 82 or Italy -West Germany 1970. But it was the best of the 21st Century by a mile.

FIFA need to solve the fear factor problem and the lack of goals in single fixture knockout games. Whether we use 'countback' or another rule, we definitely need to force teams into chasing a win. If we can come up with a solution, then we really could have something special on our hands next time around.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah i heard that its been voted the best world cup yet, i think people must have short memories or have been caught in the hoopla as its the current world cup

I've enjoyed it, wish the games were on a bit earlier ! But cant have everything. The crowd were superb in most of the games, not that dreadful bee noise from South Africa which was dire. Yeah the later games werent the best, playing too cautious etc but the group games were great, a lot of surprises (Spain/Portugal) etc. I think people here got caught up with it too much, a month ago people said its a young England side , theyre not expected to get out of the group stages. A month later people are moaning how bad the team is !

They're a young team and can only improve. Yet again though, Rooney in all his world cups, just one goal. Not good.

Overall i've really enjoyed it though, nice watching so much footy, going to be weird its all over now. Best team won

Also i dont know why ITV bother with the world cup final. They always get trounced. BBC averaged 12 mill (peak of 16.7), ITV 2.9 mill, peak of 3.9 mill. Not even close, never is.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Good show overall, "best world cup ever" probably not and it would be hard to say anyway, surely way better than 2010 or 2002.

As for Messi, disappointing world cup for a great player who is still miles from Maradona and has only been decisive with FC Barcelona. My best player would probably be Muller, Schweinsteiger or Lahm. Neuer deservedly best keeper even if we've seen several good ones (Ochoa, Navas, Howard, M'Bolhi).

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I'll stick up for Messi. So he didn't score in one vital game, it happens, to everyone. I don't think Messi was any worse last night than Muller for instance. I think we're clutching at the straws of criticism when the worst we can say of Messi is him not being as good as Maradona, who else is? Overall Messi is still the best player of his generation.

Was he the best performer at the world cup? Possibly not, but I think he still made his mark. I don't think there was one standout candidate for player of tournament, you could make a case for a lot of players, including Messi. I think it was simply an award of convenience because Messi was actually there to recieve the award in person. Likewise it was also convenient that Germany's keeper won the best keeper award, though I think he did deserve it. It would have been hilarious though if he had dropped a really bad game losing clanger and still won the award.

And to be fair to Fifa Messi was still statistically one of the best players, if not the best overall. And statistics aside he still demonstrated many remarkable moments of skill. Even in the final he was still skipping past people, dripping through tight spaces, creating chances, he just didn't have his shooting boots on is all. Even throughout this world cup in which he supposedly flopped, Messi's comfort and mastery on the ball was still better than anybody else.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Well done to Germany.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm

dste wrote:Well done to Germany.

Have to say they deserved it. Brazil game aside they never looked as if they were sweeping all before them, but the best teams know when to give it all and give just enough

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Germany deserved to win purely because they were proactive in making sure talent was found, properly nutured through youth teams and played together before making the main team. Everything going into Klinsman's tenure and beyond was all planned and in a typically German way, it eventually paid off.

We need to do something like that over here but in England it's more the case of "Oh we can't afford it" or "Yes, we'll have to have a look at that...set up a comittee to discuss it". Everything in this country is too reactive and not proactive.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't really care if don't do anything to try to improve the national side. What's the point? Spend a load of money and restructure various aspects of the club game (which is actually serious business, with PLCs and shareholders etc), so a few millionaires can achieve glory? Why do we care so much about a single trophy and 4 years bragging rights. I'm not naive enough to think there isn't a financial motive for the FA for England to be more successful, but seeing as that will never be admitted, this whole "we need to do this and that" debate seems so unnecessary. What is this need, why do we need to win the world cup? Isn't the point of representing the country to... you know... represent the country? Who cares if we didn't do well? Only one team can win it, and it all ends in tears for everyone else.

Even if we took drastic steps to improve the England side, it's not as though the other football nations are just going sit around and do nothing. All the top countries are going to do the same. Spain, Italy, Brazil, Portugal, France etc all have high expections too and will look to reassert themselves, not to mention the other nations on the rise, like Columbia and Belgium. Even if we do produce better players (I don't think ours are that bad actually), us doing that doesn't stop the other countries doing the same.

Of course I'd like England to do better, but the reward doesn't seem to be worth the effort.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 pm

I'll feel a sense of pride in and for our team when they can achieve success. Nay, when they prove themselves worthy of success even if they fail the final hurdle. Right now, I am ashamed. England is the grandfather of football, home of the noble sport, but until we stop playing finger muffin and focus instead on a team effort we will remain an embarrassment on the world scene. Perhaps we are just putting the wrong types of players together, players who are now becoming far too positionally restricted in their skills, and certainly too blinkered to see all that goes on around them.

We need to find our noble spirit, to pump ourselves up and appear bigger than we are. Our armies of old once went into battle naked save for a coating of blue paint - and that was half the job done as they scared the enemy. We cannot play football naked, nor coat ourselves in paint, but we can work on our impact, creating a forbidding opponent for the opposition. But it is going to take players of a different calibre than most of what we have.

Sterling will do well - he has the skills to outfox the opposition - and Sturridge has the goal-getter attitude, but who apart from Gerrard (who is generally spot on) can marshall an entire team to perform well, a team of capables not the limp-wristed muffinmen that we have? The manager needs to look a little wider afield and carefully select team players who can multi-task as opposed to those who are merely good in a specific position. If it means dropping down a league (or two) for those outstanding players, so be it. I think we'd be surprised just how those lower league players would outperform themselves given the opportunity of something extra special.

But until we find those multi-tasking team players (with a couple of mavericks to keep the opposition confused) I'll remain ashamed of the team and tune into England only when they make the final stages. After all, we all enjoy the World Cup for its spectacle as well as the skills on parade by a host of other countries. But England...do me a favour.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 am

I think basically England are a team in transition, the old guard (Gerrard/Lampard/Terry/Ferdinand) were all getting old, got a lot of youngsters in. This year the youngsters helped us qualify for the world cup, the next level - the world cup was too much for them though, they'll improve though.

In an ideal world we'll get to the quarters in every world cup but obviously thats not the case. Euro 2016 should be interesting as i obviously want to see improvement there (as long as we qualify !).

The young players will improve for sure, there is talent there.