The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hiro

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Sputryk wrote:Agreed. Don't know which player, but went down like a wet lettuce. Pathetic. Disappointed by the Japanese ref - they are not known to be sold fakes and flakes. The decision leeched all life out of the game for me. And that the penalty was scored by the villain of the game - bah!
It was Fred, an appalling performance from him. Meaningful though: Pelè and Garrincha, Romario and Bebeto... now, Hulk and Fred? Please.
And me too, I really did not expect this kind of behaviour from a Japanese. Bah.

I can't see them beating the likes of Germany, Spain or Argentina. Not very fond of Spain but I just wouldn't want to see a team winning a world cup by robbing like tonight.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Hiro wrote:
Sputryk wrote:Agreed. Don't know which player, but went down like a wet lettuce. Pathetic. Disappointed by the Japanese ref - they are not known to be sold fakes and flakes. The decision leeched all life out of the game for me. And that the penalty was scored by the villain of the game - bah!
It was Fred, an appalling performance from him. Meaningful though: Pelè and Vavà, Romario and Bebeto... now, Hulk and Fred? Please.
And me too, I really did not expect this kind of behaviour from a Japanese. Bah.

I can't see them beating the likes of Germany, Spain or Argentina. Not very fond of Spain but I just wouldn't want to see a team winning a world cup by robbing like tonight.
You know how it goes with host nations though; they always tend to get decisions in their favour. So well done to the Chelsea of international football: dull and uninspired, but they get the result anyway. Like Chelsea though, maybe they'll come up short when it really counts.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:02 pm

It may be too late by then, but for their last game Cameroon should bring back Roger Milla - he beat the Argies, so can too beat the Brazzies. :mrgreen:

I have Belgium and Ivory Coast as dark horses for the title. I cannot see us winning it, unless the team gets inspired by Rik's Henry V calling to stand up as noble Englishmen. Germany will win this time around, though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:05 am

Hiro wrote:It was Fred, an appalling performance from him. Meaningful though: Pelè and Garrincha, Romario and Bebeto... now, Hulk and Fred? Please.

Its just one game though. Look at England in past tournaments who sometimes start off very average and then make it to the quarter finals. I would rather be a team that peaks in the knockout stages rather than the opening game. Seen past world cups where some teams start off very strong but then do nothing later on.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 am

psj3809 wrote:Its just one game though. Look at England in past tournaments who sometimes start off very average and then make it to the quarter finals. I would rather be a team that peaks in the knockout stages rather than the opening game. Seen past world cups where some teams start off very strong but then do nothing later on.
True, Italy in 1990 is a good example :twisted: but I still think they are nowhere near the quality of the best 3-4 teams in the world.

As for today... Holland and Spain, entertain us! 8)

It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:24 am

Hiro wrote:
As for today... Holland and Spain, entertain us! 8)
Well, with Spain involved, that's not highly likely! :twisted: Of all the European teams that qualified, only Croatia and Greece had a lower total goals per game average. Holland are good to watch, but take some wide awake pills for this one, cause Spain are gonna try and pass a billion television viewers to sleep. I can't see how it's going to be anything other than 0-0 or 1-0. I'm a negative little b****** aren't I? :lol:
The other sides playing today that are good to watch are Mexico and Chile, and I hope they both win.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 am

psj3809 wrote:Its just one game though. Look at England in past tournaments who sometimes start off very average and then make it to the quarter finals. I would rather be a team that peaks in the knockout stages rather than the opening game. Seen past world cups where some teams start off very strong but then do nothing later on.
Spot on. People read too much into the group games.

I'd be surprised if a team from outside south/central america won, due to climate etc. I fancy chile and colombia as dark horses. Though can't see past argentina or brazil as eventual winners.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:50 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
crusto wrote:Where has all the flair gone?
This is a SCOLARI team, remember. Sure his 2002 squad had a few shining lights but they worked their magic despite his tactics not because of them.
The 2002 Brazilian team was amazing. You had the likes of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Juninho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu etc. Some of these were names that were bigger than the sport i.e. even the very occasional football viewers such as myself knew who they were. The match last night...I hadn't heard of any of them aside from Neymar.

There was only the tiniest bit of passing flair and Oscar looked pretty good at getting through 2-3 defenders at a time but otherwise I thought both sides looked pretty evenly-matched. The penalty was very weak as I agree that Fred went down far too easily but somebody more schooled in football will have to tell me whether it's fair play for defenders to grab strikers by the shoulders in the first place...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 am

I've got to say that Brazilian names have gone way downhill of late. You couldn't imagine them having a forward line of Oscar, Fred and Bernard back in the 70s, could you?

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Sounds like the cast of a Carry-On film to me!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Megamixer wrote:but somebody more schooled in football will have to tell me whether it's fair play for defenders to grab strikers by the shoulders in the first place...
It's part and parcel of the modern game. Having said that, if all instances of what led to the penalty were penalised, you'd get 10+ penalties per game. On the other hand, there have been far more solid instances of blocking and tugging that have not been given. It was a very soft penalty, and the Japanese ref handed Brazil a lifeline when they were struggling. No wonder the stadiums were almost not finished on time, the money to complete them went to bribing officials instead...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm

And I have no doubt that if the same thing happens in Brazil's area, Croatia never gets a penalty.

It always ends in dark

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Yeah, and no matter the amount of pulling and shoving, a player who stays on his feet is unlikely to see a penalty awarded in his favour.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Spot on. People read too much into the group games.

I'd be surprised if a team from outside south/central america won, due to climate etc. I fancy chile and colombia as dark horses. Though can't see past argentina or brazil as eventual winners.
Just checked. The last World Cup Spain (which Spain won) lost their first game to Switzerland ! Who remembers that? Not many. So another reason not to get too down on Brazil. Plus some teams play their best against the top teams

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Lots of nerves in any opener. World Cup finals is never about performance, it's all about results. Brazil will grow into it and expect them to annihilate Cameroon in their next game. Very poor choice of keeper though; is he really the best Brazil goalie in the world?

And Spain playing with a striker shocker! and playing very well up front, bit surprsing that an ageing Dutch forward line-up is outpacing and outsmarting a usually water-tight Spanish defence.

Overall though, if Spain continue to play this way with a striker, I can see them lifting the cup again.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"