The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Spector wrote:That equivalent would be what I call the 'Countback' rule: basically, if two teams are level after extra time, the team with the most wins in open play up to that point in the tournament goes through to the next round.
I would just favour simple goal difference for the whole tournament up until that point as it might even create more attacking games earlier on if teams have the possibility of goal difference on their mind from the start. If we look at pure wins then surely it opens the gates for boring "1-0 teams" to progress?

I think it's been a great tournament anyway. The only boring matches that I remember watching were Brazil v Mexico, France v Equador and Iran v Nigeria (though I haven't managed to watch every match so I won't say that they were the only crap games). Even the 'weaker' teams have provided entertainment with spectacular goalkeepers.

Will be interesting to see how Brazil fare tonight and whether the return of Silva to the defence (I'm assuming he will be allowed to play again) will keep David Luis and Marcello under control this time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Nope still don't see where the 50 million price tag for David Luiz came from.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 pm

silvergunner wrote:Nope still don't see where the 50 million price tag for David Luiz came from.

He does well in teams were he doesn't have to defend, so he'll be fine at PSG, which is a bit like playing for Celtic in Scotland; most games are a cakewalk.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:13 pm

But he just runs round like a headless chicken. Sure he can take a great free kick at times but he has no control at keeping any shape.

Clearly no interest in being a defender, he wants to attack all the time. You cannot do that when a central defender. Plus he has no quick thinking defenders brain to make smart choices. Just look at his woeful clearance of a header that provided a goal for the Dutch for example.

He may well do well at PSG but I don't think his performances will be any where near his price tag. Not a chance.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Sideshow Bob is crap.

Eat your nans pants

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Luiz is way overrated, and Scolari incompetent for putting him in the center of the defence. He could have put him in midfield (switching out some other mediocre player, like Luiz Gustavo) and called Luisao or Miranda. Oh well.

Holland deservedly 3rd, another below average performance by RVP, disappointing tournament for him. Bad ref too, hope tomorrow Rizzoli doesn't do too much damage :twisted:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:14 am

As we approach the last game, I'd like to hear opinions on who will win tonight.
[absurd ego rant]So far, I've predicted correctly the winner of every single knockout game in this World Cup, so I need one more result to complete the set [/rant]- I think Argentina will do it, though if Germany win, that would be great too because they deserve it after making fools of those Brazilian imposters.

More than anything else, let's hope it's not another disappointing 90 minutes where the two teams wait for something to happen.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 am

So what's the deal with commentators always referring to Scolari by his full name? It's been annoying me!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:34 am

One thing that's stood out this World Cup is that the European teams have largely outshone the South Americans; surprising as it's in conditions that should suit non-European teams. Last night Holland cruised to a 3-0 win; really cruised. Never looked like conceding, and if they had had a mind could have had a similar scoreline to the Germans. They walked through the Brazillian 'defence' at ease. Which for me means that Germany's 7-1 win doesn't show them to be massively superior to Argentina, it just shows that Brazil were very lucky to get as far as they did.

Apart from the first couple of group games, Germany's performance have been pretty scrappy with plenty of chances wasted and a habit of just trying to break up games. Almost exactly the same for Argentina; their only half decent showing was against Serbia and even that wasn't convincing. With all the mega stars in their team, that's really disappointing, and to a great extent I blame it on Messi. The game solely revolves around a player who is clearly far from his best; in fact he hasn't been anywhere near his best since he had a lay-off for a couple of months halfway through last season for Barcelona. He's a yard short of pace, his touch isn't great, and he simply doesn't look 100% fit.

My prediction for tonight is that Argentina will play for pens, but hope to sneak a 1-0 win on the break; they've done it against lesser opposition than Germany, so no reason to suggest this won't happen again. Whether they will succeed depends on how brave Germany are; will they go out to grab the cup with both hands, or will they play conservatively? It's very rare for any team to play positive , attacking football in the final, so I'm predicting 1-0 to either side or a draw after 90 mins. No chance of any goals in extra time, then the Germans win on pens.

In boxing certain fights are great to watch, as fighter's styles are such that it makes a great spectacle. Sometimes though their styles clash, which makes for an ugly, scrappy encounter ; that's what we'll get tonight unfortunately.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I think it will be a tight game. I want Argentina to win because Messi is my favourite player. Even if by his standards he hasn't had a convincing World Cup (4 goals is it?). For me he's by far the greatest player in the world and if he added the WC to his list of achievements I think it would be a huge benefit to him as a player.

Eat your nans pants

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Hour+ gone and still 0-0

I'm thinking that it might be a late 1-0 at this rate.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, it's going as most people thought it would, myself included. Although I'm not a great fan of a team who play in this style (especially when they have players who don't need to play that way) you have to credit Argentina for the wall that they are.

Again I'm not fan of the man, but Mascherano has to be player of the tournament. Never puts a foot wrong, a rock for Argentina to build their wall on, and always give 100% in every game. Looked like he got knocked out in the semi, but he just shook his head and ran back on the pitch. Awesome, and I cannot believe that there is anyone who would not want him in their team. Like I say , man of the tournament for me.

Will stick my neck on the line here and say that when (not if!) it goes to pens then Germany will win. With the wall of noise the Argentinians will be up again, I expect it to affect them. Not only that , but they have few natural goalscorers in their team. Yes they managed easily against the Dutch, but remember they were always ahead of the game because Holland missed their first, never under pressure that their penalty could put the team out. The Germans won't miss! And I'll stick my neck further and say that Messi will miss his; I've seen him miss quite a few for Barca when the pressure has really been on, and it won't get more pressurised than this.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Final whistle's just gone. Congratulations to Germany - 2014 winners. The best team in the tournament won.
sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Well done Germany, a tough way to lose it for Argentina but a great way to win.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:43 pm

The best team has won. Congrats to Germany.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark