The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by merman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:37 am

The irony is, Germany played more attractive football in the last two tournaments and went out at the semi-final stage. This time they have been more pragmatic.

Brazil played badly and Germany played well, magnifying the difference. Perhaps the most one-sided game I have ever seen, and then you look at the stats. Brazil had more attempts, Germany scored 7 from 10 on target.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 am

Well, it helps if the other side keep giving the ball away in their own half, leaving players totally unmarked on set plays, and pushing defenders forward without anyone going back to cover for them. Brazil played like a pub team and got the thrashing they deserved for doing so.

I can't see either Argentina or the Netherlands doing much of that, so Germany might have to work a bit harder for their goals in the final.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:56 am

merman wrote:The irony is, Germany played more attractive football in the last two tournaments and went out at the semi-final stage. This time they have been more pragmatic.

Brazil played badly and Germany played well, magnifying the difference. Perhaps the most one-sided game I have ever seen, and then you look at the stats. Brazil had more attempts, Germany scored 7 from 10 on target.
That just proves how misleading stats can be. I think the first of Brazil's attempts was in the second half by which time they were 5-0 down and Germany were clearly saving themselves for the final, making sure nobody got booked.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 pm

^^Brasil had there first shot on target in the 51st minute.

6-2 to Holland tonight... :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Spector wrote:Marvellous result for two reasons: as Juninho said, football won.
Here, here.

I'm still in shock, though.
sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Argentina are brilliant at destroying a game. A real shame that such an obviously talented team go out to ruin games. They remind me very much like Chelsea; again a team that has the players and talent to play like Arsenal, but decides instead to break games up at every opportunity. The thing is that although this doesn't make for a good spectacle, it does get results, and I wouldn't at a ll be surprised if Argentina nick a 1-0 win the the last 10 minutes.

If they do go out on pens, they've only got themselves for not trying to win the World Cup properly, with a team that is quite capable of winning it in style.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Can't be bothered with this, I'm off to bed :|

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:45 am

Rubbish match, never been so bored in my life. I hope Germany can break them down and win.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 am

Yeah very dull sadly, did enjoy penalties though !! Glad Argentina won (helps i have them in the work sweepstakes !)

I actually think Brazil vs Holland on saturday will be interesting, normally these games arent that great and they're totally meaningless but after the drubbing Brazil got i'm sure they'll really want to win this one at least for the fans after the humiliation.

I hope sunday is a good game and not a boring play it safe one. Really enjoyed the tournament so far, roll on sunday (and saturday)

Then just a few weeks later and its the premiership (And NFL preseason). Love it !

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 am

Haha, that was real international tournament football. None of your 7-1 freakish nonsense!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:36 am

Hope for an early goal on sunday, or we're going to watch a very boring game.

Saturday's match will probably be more enjoyable.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:37 pm

So Argentina go through after yet another censored knockout game; both teams too scared to really commit themselves, comfortable in the knowledge that penalties are waiting if nothing happens. Argentina had four chances, Holland just one.

How do we change the rules so that penalties don't ruin another knockout tournament like this one? My suggestion is to create the equivalent of the away goals rule in the Champions League which is used as a tie breaker before penalties, thus reducing shoot outs and increasing the goals. That equivalent would be what I call the 'Countback' rule: basically, if two teams are level after extra time, the team with the most wins in open play up to that point in the tournament goes through to the next round. Countback favours teams who are more attacking, as they have a higher win ratio, whereas negative bores like Greece are at a disadvantage. It would have forced Holland to attack last night against Argentina, and likewise would have forced Costa Rica to attack against Holland in the round before. I really do think it would make the World Cup knockouts better. Hell, they can't be worse.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 am

Yes it was a dire game but i wouldnt press the panic button yet. Its been a great world cup, a lot of goals and a lot of good games.

I'm sure if you go back to past world cups theres been quite a few dull semi finals as the amount of pressure on these games seems to be huge. I love penalties at world cups, its amazing what one kick can change

The quarter finals are the whole were superb, yeah we had one nightmare semi final but i wouldnt change things drastically.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 pm

North Korea have done better than expected.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJoRZOK18Fg

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

^ Looks like they went easy on their opponents...

Meanwhile, here's completely untampered with footage of Germany's septet of semi-final goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBF9MUsNUkQ