The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Hiro

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 pm

I find Brazil has a relatively mediocre team, at least Germany, Spain and Argentina are better than them. I wouldn't consider them among the favourites if they weren't hosting the competition. Good for them if I'm proven wrong, I only hope that, if they win, it's because they deserve it and not because of Neymar's dives.

As for Italy, I have no great expectations. Defence is not rock-solid as in past times, we lack a true striker (like Toni or Vieri) and Rossi was our best forward, and he's out. I'd like to see Italy and England pass the first round, but it won't be easy.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I usually end up getting sucked into the World Cup (and Euros too) even though I'm not the biggest follower of the sport at all. Don't know if I'll make time this year for anything other than England games but we'll see.

Bet all the riots and unrest in Brazil will be conveniently washed-over...you can see it being completely ignored by the world cup hype/marketing machine even though you have things like shootings and muggings in the general area of the stadiums. For example, there was a video a few weeks ago on the news of two kids stealing somebody's motorcycle then being shot from a car window by an off-duty police officer who just happened to be passing :shock: . Fair play to anybody actually going to Brazil to see a game or two but I wouldn't want to with the way the country is.

Wasn't overly offended by the Vuvuzelas in the last tournament. I wasn't a fan but I also didn't spend ages ranting about them like everybody else. It's funny that I've seen them 'resurrected' on one of the many adverts tied into the WC though :lol: (I forget which ad).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Mallo wrote:Does anyone know if they're going to be using any new technology at the World Cup? I'm guessing goal line tech will be used for the first time. Dunno if it's Hawkeye of not.
They're going to give refs the vanishing spray to mark out ten yeards for free kicks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_spray
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm buzzing for the World Cup. I love it. Regardless of how well England do. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 am

Megamixer wrote:Wasn't overly offended by the Vuvuzelas in the last tournament. I wasn't a fan but I also didn't spend ages ranting about them like everybody else. It's funny that I've seen them 'resurrected' on one of the many adverts tied into the WC though :lol: (I forget which ad).
I think non-fans shouldnt really count when it comes to the vuvuzela opinion ;)

I dont watch every premiership game on TV or that, i do like the 'big' games in the Champions league and premiership but i wouldnt waste an evening or afternoon watching Cardiff vs Norwich kinda thing.

But for the world cup i love the atmosphere, i'll be watching practically every game, history will be made, probably be bad rather than good ! But most football fans remember every world cup for England going back years and years. What i would say is the death of the world cup song is a sad affair ! Last time it was frickin James Corden and Dizzee Rascal, this year i dont think its any good. Used to love the New Order song of 1990 and even liked the Embrace one (was that 2006 ?)

Roll on next thursday !

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:50 am

the world cup will be a welcome distraction from all the stress around getting married, i would love to see england do well, however i feel i could do better myself while playing with my shoelaces tied together :lol:

realistically i hope germany win, we have a sweepstake at work and if germany win i get £40, my mate has italy and our other mate honduras.

i'll be in spain when the finals are on, this time 4 years ago i was in greece, england were playing germany and when germany almost scored an english woman leaped up in disgust (the england defence had been shocking) and knocked a table, meaning someones drink was spilt all over my blackberry (brand new 8900 worth £300 :roll: )

something tells me i am taking a rubbish phone with me this time

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:01 am

Pah i'll never be cheering Germany on whatever !

I think most fans arent expecting England to do much, its quite a young team, the next world cup i would expect them to do well but this one i think the experience these young players get will help for the future.

I would also say keep your phone in your pocket not the table, much safer ! ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 pm

flatapex wrote: realistically i hope germany win, we have a sweepstake at work and if germany win i get £40, my mate has italy and our other mate honduras.
lol! I'm guessing your other mate is none too pleased at that draw! :lol:

The World Cup in Brazil excites me, particularly as it's being held in a latin American country for the first time since Mexico 86, as they tend to be better than European ones. Some teams are out to put on a show, while others are negative and dull. The entertainers with a real chance are Germany and Argentina, but also watch out for Mexico, Holland, Chile, Ivory Coast and even Bosnia-Herzegovina, whose manager recently said "I really don't know what coaches do if they prefer defensive football. I personally don't like it and don't believe in that style of play."

The boring nations are Croatia, Switzerland, Greece, Colombia and the weaker Asian/African sides in general- hopefully they'll go out in the first round. Perhaps the most boring of all are Spain who can pass opposition teams to sleep. They won World Cup 2010 with less goals scored than any other team in history, including England (and Brazil in 94 too!), and it'll be a bad World Cup if they win it again. So I'm hoping for Germany or Argentina to go all the way, as it'll be good for the game as a whole.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:24 pm

I'd look out for Belgium too, they've got a generation of young and talented players (and a relatively easy group stage too), with a couple of experienced ones to lead them. They could surprise us.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:57 pm

FIFA banned the vuvuzela, I thought?

New ball costs $160 each. Pakistani women making it are being paid less than $100 a month.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:Football?........yawn

As is the case every 4 years - everybody will be claiming England has a fantastic chance of going all the way and winning........

Normally yes, this time.. no.. not at all.. I think most people will just be happy to get out of the group (which is a tough ask)
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Spector wrote:
flatapex wrote: realistically i hope germany win, we have a sweepstake at work and if germany win i get £40, my mate has italy and our other mate honduras.
lol! I'm guessing your other mate is none too pleased at that draw! :lol:

The World Cup in Brazil excites me, particularly as it's being held in a latin American country for the first time since Mexico 86, as they tend to be better than European ones. Some teams are out to put on a show, while others are negative and dull. The entertainers with a real chance are Germany and Argentina, but also watch out for Mexico, Holland, Chile, Ivory Coast and even Bosnia-Herzegovina, whose manager recently said "I really don't know what coaches do if they prefer defensive football. I personally don't like it and don't believe in that style of play."

The boring nations are Croatia, Switzerland, Greece, Colombia and the weaker Asian/African sides in general- hopefully they'll go out in the first round. Perhaps the most boring of all are Spain who can pass opposition teams to sleep. They won World Cup 2010 with less goals scored than any other team in history, including England (and Brazil in 94 too!), and it'll be a bad World Cup if they win it again. So I'm hoping for Germany or Argentina to go all the way, as it'll be good for the game as a whole.
we get a prize for first red card, he is aiming for that :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 pm

psj3809 wrote:Pah i'll never be cheering Germany on whatever !

I think most fans arent expecting England to do much, its quite a young team, the next world cup i would expect them to do well but this one i think the experience these young players get will help for the future.

I would also say keep your phone in your pocket not the table, much safer ! ;)
to be honest dude i have a certain affection for germany as a place, i have visited twice, my missus lived there and speaks fluent german. plus their squad is very interesting, an attacking midfield which also has some very talented players that support the goalscorers, its a stereotypically precise way to play but it yields better results.

i think a spain win would be interesting, i am in spain when the final takes place, never been in a country when they have won the world cup

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 pm

This will be invaluable at avoiding the scores!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... 4-spoilers
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

merman wrote:New ball costs $160 each. Pakistani women making it are being paid less than $100 a month.
Doesn't surprise me, this is the depressing side of sport that nobody likes to mention, you wonder if it even crosses the players minds when they film a boot commercial for a sportswear company. Would be cool if one of these millionaire footballers turned down a boot deal and played in plain brandless boots as a protest against third world sweatshop conditions, I 'd like to think I'd do it.

I actually tried to buy some trainers made in the UK a while back, I had heard once that New Balance made their shoes here but when I checked inside a shoe it said made in China or somewhere, so they must have changed their policy.

Similarly the association of junk food with sport is comical. Support England by eating Mars bars? :roll: "Official treat supplier to the England team" as if they're allowed Mars Bars or any kind of confectionary, er excuse me, I meant 'treats'.

And as if Mars don't run similar campaigns in other countries. I remember either last World Cup or the Euros I heard or saw an advert saying "Mercedes Benz, proud to be supporting England," or something. As if Mercedes aren't supporting Germany.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823