The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Tomorrow night is one of the most interesting match-ups of the World Cup. Klinnsman's USA vs Germany. A draw sees both teams through and Germany top.

Will Germany repeat their infamous game against Austria and play out draw, or will they send their former talisman home early by beating the US as they should?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Just listening to the news on this, (Suarez) with FIFA saying he could be punished either today or tomorrow in typical "we are the law" FIFA fashion.

I suppose it should be expected from an organisation that says no to racism but yes to big brown evnelopes :lol:

They're probably giving him an extra day to scrape some more cash together to bribe Sepp for a more lenient sentence.

Eat your nans pants

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:31 pm

I'd like to see Ghana qualify and not USA, but it's unlikely. Portugal and CR7... what a delusion.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:26 am

It's tough to decide what to watch tonight: a game where both teams want a draw(!) or Cristiano Ronaldo's last match in the world cup. I want to see him cry when the final whistle goes, and he starts shouting at everyone "it's not fair! I'm the best! Not FAIR!!!!!!!" :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 am

Like in Euro 2012? :lol: "Injustiça... injustiça" :mrgreen:

I'll go for a mix of the two matches, and Algeria - Russia tonight.

It always ends in dark

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:49 am

Spector wrote:It's tough to decide what to watch tonight: a game where both teams want a draw(!) or Cristiano Ronaldo's last match in the world cup. I want to see him cry when the final whistle goes, and he starts shouting at everyone "it's not fair! I'm the best! Not FAIR!!!!!!!" :mrgreen:
USA have surprised me so far, be interesting to see what happens tonight. Must admit i hope Portugal do go out ! Cant believe all the group games are practically over, only seemed like yesterday it all started and we all somehow had crazy high hopes !

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:56 am

psj3809 wrote:
Spector wrote:It's tough to decide what to watch tonight: a game where both teams want a draw(!) or Cristiano Ronaldo's last match in the world cup. I want to see him cry when the final whistle goes, and he starts shouting at everyone "it's not fair! I'm the best! Not FAIR!!!!!!!" :mrgreen:
USA have surprised me so far, be interesting to see what happens tonight. Must admit i hope Portugal do go out ! Cant believe all the group games are practically over, only seemed like yesterday it all started and we all somehow had crazy high hopes !
Yeah, the USA are one of those quietly decent teams. They might not have a lot of star players, but they seem to play well together and are much more than the sum of their parts.

Portugal are, of course, the complete opposite; Ronaldo isn't the only prima donna they've got, even if he's the most obvious. Anyway, its out of their hands now, and I can't see Germany or the USA wanting to do them a favour. It's win 5-0 and cross their fingers time.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:13 am

crusto wrote:the guy clearly isn't right in the head. And if you look at the attacks the way he carries them out is very similar, it's like something just snaps in his head and he has little control over it. A total freak!
The main psychological theory is that growing up as a kid in a rough neighborhood he used to bite as a self defence method. If you watch how he plays it's a miracle it's only happened these three times. He regularly leans his head towards the arm or shoulder of an opposing player and you do wonder how often it'd happen if they didn't move out of the way in the moment. That it's instinctual probably means he genuinely doesn't realise what he's done wrong.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:48 am

lanky316 wrote:
crusto wrote:the guy clearly isn't right in the head. And if you look at the attacks the way he carries them out is very similar, it's like something just snaps in his head and he has little control over it. A total freak!
The main psychological theory is that growing up as a kid in a rough neighborhood he used to bite as a self defence method. If you watch how he plays it's a miracle it's only happened these three times. He regularly leans his head towards the arm or shoulder of an opposing player and you do wonder how often it'd happen if they didn't move out of the way in the moment. That it's instinctual probably means he genuinely doesn't realise what he's done wrong.
He still seems to realize what he's doing quickly enough to throw himself to the floor and feign injury though. Then again, I'm sure that's pretty much instinctive to a lot of players these days.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 am

4 month worldwide ban from all football for the racist cannibal, should have been 12 months but at least not just a 3 game international ban.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 am

He got lucky.

It always ends in dark

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:23 am

Yep got very lucky. You would think he would never do this again but in this bizarre situation after 3 people bitten you can never be sure !

Be interesting when he comes back as surely defenders all around the league will be trying to wind him up a treat. Big loss for Liverpool but frustrating in a way as if he was a crappy player they would have got rid of him instantly.

Anyway roll on 5pm, some good games going on

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:25 am

Hiro wrote:He got lucky.
Not really. FIFA are pretty much toothless, if you'll forgive the pun, when it comes to punishment. That he'd miss the rest of the World Cup was always a given, but it was never likely to be too much beyond that.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 am

Matt_B wrote:
Hiro wrote:He got lucky.
Not really. FIFA are pretty much toothless, if you'll forgive the pun, when it comes to punishment. That he'd miss the rest of the World Cup was always a given, but it was never likely to be too much beyond that.
He got lucky that Fifa are clowns, that is.

It always ends in dark

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:22 am

Suarez has been banned from all football related activity (so technically he could play for Stoke).