The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

English Invader

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by English Invader » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am
That's easy for you to say when the majority of matches aren't on between 1AM and 6AM in your time zone. :D
Aren't you able to set your cable box to record them so you can watch them at a more convenient time? Plus, most of the TV stations have websites where you can stream the matches any time you want.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

English Invader wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am
Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am
That's easy for you to say when the majority of matches aren't on between 1AM and 6AM in your time zone. :D
Aren't you able to set your cable box to record them so you can watch them at a more convenient time? Plus, most of the TV stations have websites where you can stream the matches any time you want.
Sure, I could do that, but if I'm not going to watch games live I'll usually just stick to the highlights.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Working at home is great when the games are on at a decent time this tournament

Enjoying it all so far. Roll on Sunday lunchtime

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 pm

I caught a bit of Spain this morning and they didn't look that great. They had lots of of possession but didn't turn it into many shots on goal and Iran could easily have walked away with a draw but for the disallowed goal. Still, a win is a win and they're pretty much into the second round barring some big upsets in both the last couple of games in that group.

I can't say that Portugal looked that good either going by the highlights of their game, and they'll be up against some sterner attacking sides than Morocco later on too. Then again, they are the team that defied expectations to win Euro 2016, so I probably shouldn't be ruling them out based on watching 15 minutes of them struggling against a banana skin.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Tomorrow we've got Argentina v Croatia or Messi v Modric. Really looking forward to that one.

It's quite a tough one to call; Croatia have made the better start and I'd put money on Modric to run the show ahead of Messi but with a sharp-shooter like Aguero in the mix I wouldn't be too quick to write Argentina off. Plus Argentina need the win more than Croatia. Should be quite a fight.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:13 am

Well a nice result yesterday ! Argentina were poor as anything, that first goal was laughable.

Nice to get a 'bit' of a surprise though, next up lets hope Germany lose again !

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:49 am

So, England are in the quarter finals now.

I think they deserved it too. They had more of the ball, made the better chances and really should have won it in normal time but for a bit of complacency. Still, it's a good time to exorcise the penalty shootout ghosts and - having well and truly exceeded expectations - the pressure should be off now.

I'd still reckon that the winner is going to come from the other half of the draw though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Happy as anything, gutted by that late goal. Extra time England looked flat for the first chunk of it, thought we were going out again due to the first missed penalty but what a strange feeling at the end, happy as anything and cant believe we won penalties !

One step at a time but roll on Saturday 3pm !!

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:49 am
So, England are in the quarter finals now.

I think they deserved it too. They had more of the ball, made the better chances and really should have won it in normal time but for a bit of complacency. Still, it's a good time to exorcise the penalty shootout ghosts and - having well and truly exceeded expectations - the pressure should be off now.

I'd still reckon that the winner is going to come from the other half of the draw though.
Agree about the pens but I think we shaved the game at best. The Colombians made it difficult to play good football but even so I didn't think we looked like scoring from open play, but maybe we won't have to. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am

Now Uruguay and Brazil are out, England are probably the 3rd best team left in the WC, and the top two obviously are battling it out in the Semi-Finals next week. We could easily slip up to Sweden today though, and Croatia on their day could definitely beat us, or the home nation of Russia and their liberal use of nerve agents could easily wipe us out too.

I think we may as well toss a coin, and hope it lands the way we want, for the next 3 matches (if we get to play in all three!) Just too difficult to call.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Well happy as anything. Great afternoon down the pub

AmaIng we’re in the semi final. The final I could ‘kinda’ handle losing but not the semis ! Need to win on Wednesday badly !

Amazing tournament so far

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 pm

I can't believe that England are in the semis. I suppose they've had a very easy ride, with the draw opening up for them like the Red Sea before Moses, and have the somewhat unusual prospect of going into the next round as favourites. Croatia aren't a pushover by any means, and have only made it this far by beating some better quality opposition than England have faced, but for a World Cup semi you'd expect someone a bit more formidable.

I'm still thinking that the Belgium vs France game will produce the eventual winner, but upsets are always possible.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 pm
I can't believe that England are in the semis. I suppose they've had a very easy ride, with the draw opening up for them like the Red Sea before Moses, and have the somewhat unusual prospect of going into the next round as favourites. Croatia aren't a pushover by any means, and have only made it this far by beating some better quality opposition than England have faced, but for a World Cup semi you'd expect someone a bit more formidable.

I'm still thinking that the Belgium vs France game will produce the eventual winner, but upsets are always possible.
Normally I would agree, but considering how well the smaller teams have done and how often the big teams have been stopped this world cup, I would say its quite an achievement. Most of the big teams are out precisely because they were unable to do what England have managed to do.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 am

Yeah, this. You can only beat who is in front of you, and if the big teams aren’t there for us to play, whose fault is it? Admittedly it probably helped not having any big team in group H for us to potentially play in the first knockout stage - the seeded team was Poland and they didn’t make it out!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 am

In terms of individual talent, experience and player value, this is one of Englands "weakest" squads, and with a pretty inexperienced manager (at top level), but by the miracle of a kind draw, and perhaps the fearless nature of a youthful team with low expectations, we have made it to the semi-finals.

Meanwhile all the world cup big guns, have been busy either going down in flames against inspired heroics of smaller teams, or taking each other out. Truly bizarre world cup, but its been terrific to watch. Lets hope Croatia are too knackered now after 2 penalty shoot outs in a row, and France and Belgium totally knacker each other out....as (particularly the potential final) we do still look like massive underdogs on paper and need all the help we can get.