Employment Issues - advice or thoughts?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Employment Issues - advice or thoughts?

Post by shiftytigger » Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Firstly to simplify.

I work for company 'c'. We are located within a store owned by company 'b'. We are all owned/ run by company 'a' as an umbrella company. Each has the usual seperate company heirarchy.

Staff and management from 'b' have recently been requesting assistance from 'a' due to low staffing levels. In doing so they have then said that we can say no but then continue to harrass me as to why I said no. Now being fairly nice usually I will normally help as part of my day anyway. The problem is i have received no official guidelines or instruction from my bosses. Therefore i could be requested to do something by someone who has no bearing on my contracted employment and this is akin to someone from sainsburys asking me to cover there for an hour because 'my boss said so'.

My point is that I have now been more inclined to dig my heels in and object because of their attitude to the word no. It all felt a bit rapey.

Anyone have any thoughts on this as Im stuck right now just wanting to walk out and tell them all to get funked.

Sputryk

Re: Employment Issues - advice or thoughts?

Post by Sputryk » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I would have thought that if each company has its own hierarchy, you would need authority from your direct superiors to lend a hand as the work would be outside of your contracted remit. And if they say your boss has agreed to it, speak to your boss first. As for your reason for saying No, I would probably say that I wasn't comfortable with the work requested without my boss discussing it with me first.

Try and refrain from a walk-out, though - it would do not good for a reference, and UB40 could be prejudiced. Best of luck, though.

dste

Post by dste » Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Talk to your manager/boss and clarify where you stand on the situation.

Contract wise you will no doubt have a little line that will say something along the lines off 'and all other duties' though I imagine that should not technically cover another 'company'.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Cheers guys - you're definitely right though. My area manager visited and said we dont have to do anything we arent comfortable with.

There has been a lack of evidenceence of any consultation on this matter despite the fact that they keep saying lots has been communicated out to us.

Simply put I will only perform any other duties if directly requested by my own management structure , whether im threatened or not.
And I will never avoid talking to or engaging with customers whether mine or not, in the interests of treating everyone fairly. Nor will I ever knowingly attempt to hinder their own business either.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Sputryk wrote:UB40
... hasn't existed for over a decade.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri May 30, 2014 2:43 am

by Antiriad2097 on Thu May 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Sputryk wrote:UB40

... hasn't existed for over a decade.
I personally don't think they have made a decent song since 1989 :wink:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri May 30, 2014 6:15 am

Not since 1 in 10 , though im biased as I think they're crap.

Now ive dug my heels in and am compiling a letter of complaint regarding the treatment of this entire situation. My contract is with 'a' and it subsidiaries not other companies. Until official contact is made I will perform no tasks for anyone else unless they are as a passing part of my day.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 am

If they're genuinely separate companies under an umbrella organisation then it's quite likely you'd have none of the appropriate training, health and safety, personal or liability insurance cover that you have working for your own company. You can't just volunteer to do someone else's job for them nowadays - if you do it wrong, you'd be personally liable. Your biggest problem seems to be the absence of management on the premises, but you just need to refer everything to your manager. And if someone's demanding you work for them, give them his contact details and tell them to sort it out.