So someone else loses their job.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

So someone else loses their job.

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Well just heard a bbc radio DJ, a broadcaster of 32 years has just lost his job. The reason was that he played a 1932 version of a song called "the sun has got his hat on" for a golden oldies show. This version had the n-word which has been in the news a fair bit for other reasons.

Now yes it's not a nice word in the grand scheme of things but I think some common sense has got to be used as I think you have got to say to yourself that the fact he did not realise the word was used in the song. I don't think you could really say the chap in question was racist. He made a right royal c0ck up no doubt but I don't think a sacking was needed with it being a genuine mistake.

The bbc would not accept his idea of an on air apology which I think stinks of the bbc being scared of not appearing to do anything if they did not sack him after the recent clarkson issue. Also the older audience the show was aimed at probably would have realised it was a mistake (not heard if there was any complaints) and that the song was a product of its time and that yes it should not have been played but it was a mistake and left it at that with an apology.

Feel the chap was a bit hard done by.

The Hardest of All Freds

Re: So someone else loses their job.

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 11, 2014 6:27 pm

..and every time Oliver's Army is played?
Going Solo...................

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Sun May 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Political correctness has gone beyond a joke. A word is just a word, it's the thought behind it that make's it racist or abusive.
yes i have a sig.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm

I wouldn't even class it as a mistake tbh. The guy obviously didn't know it was in there and should therefore not be held accountable. It's not like he got up in the morning and thought "I know, I'll go in to work today and play a song with the word "nigger" in it."

The world is going bonkers. The slightest remarks/actions are considered as racist, sexist etc etc when the real instances of it are being largely ignored.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 am

Onthe upside, he should get a big payout from the tribunal for his unfair dismissal.

Or maybe not. Just read it and he was offered his job back, BBC recognise this is a local manager who overstepped the mark

The BBC has offered him his job back last week.

However, he said he declined because his departure caused him so much stress and flared up a medical condition he suffers from.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 am

So how can 90% (?) of Hip Hop/(c)rap music get air time then?
Or is that banned/edited on BBC radio?
Would songs with the word, 'Honky' be banned also?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:..and every time Oliver's Army is played?
The only reason I think that gets a pass so to speak is that it's being used to refer to a white person.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 am

Kilb wrote:So how can 90% (?) of Hip Hop/(c)rap music get air time then?
Quite an ignorant assumption there! :?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon May 12, 2014 3:36 am

It's crazy that someone overstepped the mark by so far that he lost his job. It's not like he turned up dressed as the KKK shouting white power. I'm glad someone had the sense to try and correct the issue even though there was now chance he was going to take his job back.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:38 am

Yeah heard about that radio 1 guy. I do wish the Beeb would use some common sense, if this guy was the presenter of a car program he would probably get tons of 'we'll let you off's !

This old guy obviously made a huge mistake, he didnt do it on purpose. I hate racism like anything but lets be sensible about it. Said it a few times before, reminds me of Xmas when councils ban using the word 'Christmas' regarding parties/lights etc in case it offends other religious people but you often see a sikh interviewed saying 'i dont care at all, think the councils gone OTT'.

Lets obviously ban anyone who is blatantly racist, but in this case it makes a whole mockery of it all

I read the BBC were trying to convince him to come back but the guys leaving due to 'health issues' now, serves the BBC right. Honestly, if youre a 'nonce' you get a job with the Beeb for years and years, play one record which you didnt realise had an offensive word in it and thats it, you're gone instantly

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 am

There was no racist words in this song but I think the situation was worse even though it made me laugh was when radio 1 (well I think it was) played rage against the machines killing in the name off but uncut with swear words flying all over :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:19 am

Dont think it was worse, you could walk down the street chatting to your mate swearing or in a pub, but saying racist stuff to your mate isn't acceptable.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 12, 2014 6:21 am

Strangely enough, this has happened before. A couple of years ago, even:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jun/26/itv-n-word

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 am

I must admit i never ever knew there was a version like this. Obviously as kids at school we might have sung this song (obviously not the offensive bit !) but i never knew the origins of it. As i'm sure that broadcaster and many other people before hand didnt realise either.

Quite glad to hear people such as David Cameron/Boris Johnson get involved basically to ask what the BBC were doing. Political correctness gone mad

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 am

If you sang it at school, it probably had the word "peanuts" in instead.