Curry

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Curry

Post by crusto » Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 pm

If you like it spicy try a chicken Naga if you haven't already done so, it's got a nice kick with a distinctive flavour.

Have you tried Rajastani Lamb? At my local it's rammed full of flavour, it's mild/medium and has tiny silver skin pickled onions in it too. Beautiful flavour but it's all about the lamb, at my local it's melt in the mouth stuff. But the last thing you want is dodgy lamb as it's off putting.

Eat your nans pants

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri May 02, 2014 4:08 am

crusto wrote:If you like it spicy try a chicken Naga if you haven't already done so, it's got a nice kick with a distinctive flavour.

Have you tried Rajastani Lamb? At my local it's rammed full of flavour, it's mild/medium and has tiny silver skin pickled onions in it too. Beautiful flavour but it's all about the lamb, at my local it's melt in the mouth stuff. But the last thing you want is dodgy lamb as it's off putting.
Okay, good suggestions. I'll check them out. Does your local give you a free bowl of Bombay Mix whilst you wait for pick-up?

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 am

I used to like John...
Beautiful upon the ice

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 02, 2014 6:57 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Always go for onion bahjis for starters.
Let me tell you there's not much that can beat having onion bhajis and hot & sour soup delivered to the same table.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 pm

It's hard to say 'try this curry' as every curry house does something different!

My favourite curry is from my local is the 'Special curry'. Minced lamb sauce with either lamb or tandori chicken. Medium hot - and is amazing! Loads of garlic in there too.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

markopoloman wrote:It's hard to say 'try this curry' as every curry house does something different!
Exactly! Even a Tikka Masala from one curry house can be totally different to one from another curry house.

I went to a curry house in Akihabara, and they had Brain Masala on the menu. Needless to say I gave that a miss.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri May 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Sitting down to a homemade beef and aubergine vindaloo with some veggie samosas, lovely!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 am

I tried a Duck Chilli Fry last night. It was hot! Had loads of those small Bird's Eye chillies in it. I also has a different rice for once - Sag Rice(with spinach). Great stuff - and I had a Brinjal Bhaji(aubergines), it helped cool it down.

The Nagu is perhaps tonight's choice of dining.

Yeah - I take your point about different curry houses doing completely different recipes for the standard curry stuff - Madras, Vindaloo, etc. They can vary a lot in texture, flavour and hotness. There is a curry house in Edinburgh that does a curry with haggis.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:11 pm

I love curry too - I like hot curries but I'd prefer to have a medium-strength curry with a rich creamy sauce than a hot curry with little sauce.

Our local Cuisine of India is superb; my favourites are their Chicken Tribuji or Chicken Maharaj, with Bombay Aloo, Garlic Naan and Poppadums on the side. :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 04, 2014 2:06 pm

What does everyone do for supermarket curries? Morrisins used to be really good, but not so these days. M&S have a great range, and good value when they are on offer (which they often are). Their Chicken Peri Peri is beautiful. Sainsburys are pretty good too.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun May 04, 2014 3:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What does everyone do for supermarket curries? Morrisins used to be really good, but not so these days. M&S have a great range, and good value when they are on offer (which they often are). Their Chicken Peri Peri is beautiful. Sainsburys are pretty good too.
Iceland's £1.50 range, cos I'm a tight git. But seriously, very good value for the money, I used to buy the chilled ones in the plastic tubs from Tesco/Asda for £3ish, but I think the Iceland ones are nearly as good for half the price. I buy a huge bag of rice from lidl and keep a pack of mini naans in the freezer, so each curry cost less than £2.00. Sorry, thought I was on moneysavingexpert forum then for a minute!

Anyway, I don't see any of the other supermarkets doing atomic vindaloo!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun May 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Tescos aren't too bad either. But, being the spoilt bastard that I am I rarely partake anymore. Preferring my local curry inn, the Ellora. If anybody lives over the Solihull way I highly recommend paying it a visit.

Eat your nans pants

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 05, 2014 4:35 am

paranoid marvin wrote:What does everyone do for supermarket curries? Morrisins used to be really good, but not so these days. M&S have a great range, and good value when they are on offer (which they often are). Their Chicken Peri Peri is beautiful. Sainsburys are pretty good too.
As for supermarket curries - Waitrose do a Goan Fish Curry which is very nice. They also do Lemon Rice.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:41 pm

I tried a new place earlier this evening. The Jilabi in Sheldon, absolutely excellent. I tried their signature dish and stupidly forgot the name of it. But it was excellent, starters, service etc were all excellent :D . Recommended.

Eat your nans pants