Curry

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Curry

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:28 pm

I effing love curry. So much so that it could eat it 7 days a week if I could get away with it. I have had 2 this weekend and made sure enough has been left over to cobble another one together for tomorrow's meal!

I simply had to get that off my chest, as I'm lying here thinking about chicken Tikka Madras! A fine dish, fit for kings :D

Yum

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Re: Curry

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 pm

I love curry too - but hate stupid hot curries.
Rogan Josh/Dupiaza are about my limits as I can't stand enduring a curry when I could sit and actually taste a curry!!

Something I really like is a king prawn curry or when I can get it, a goan fish curry. Love mushroom rice, peshwari nan and saag paneer. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 pm

markopoloman wrote:I love curry too - but hate stupid hot curries.
Rogan Josh/Dupiaza are about my limits as I can't stand enduring a curry when I could sit and actually taste a curry!!

Something I really like is a king prawn curry or when I can get it, a goan fish curry. Love mushroom rice, peshwari nan and saag paneer. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D
Yep cannot stand currys that are to hot to taste. As a small child I would not even try the stuff as my grandad used to eat currys that had to be hotter than satans bath and make him go red in the face and sweat buckets. So I used to think sod that I'm not trying curry. But finally when I was old enough to realise that not every curry was that hot. Thank god as curry is bloody yummy, even chip shop curry.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

I don't find them hot tbh, and will eat vindaloo in the cold winter months, to help warm my cockles lol.

I just think there's so much flavour in Indian food, it's a pleasure to eat. I would have a curry over a roast any day of the week.

At my local curry house, I always tend to go for one of the following.

Starters:

Spicy Lamb chops: melt in the mouth lamb spiced to perfection - mild
Sheekh kebab: lovely!
Lamb Tikka: yum
Spiced potato with Garlic Mushrooms: an explosion of flavour lol.

Mains:

Lamb Morchi: Melt in the mouth lamb bites in a medium sauce, but watch out for the hidden Jalapenos!
Chicken Tikka Chilli Garlic: Another flavour to savour, nice and mild but again, there are chopped chillies lurking in the sauce!
Chicken Tikka Madras/Vindaloo: My favourite.
Tandoori Mixed Grill: Beautiful
Chicken Naga: Similar to Madras, not quite as hot and has a more distinctive flavour due to the use of the Naga chillies. Lovely.

You know I am actually making myself dribble :lol:

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 am

Curry is one of the better veggie options, there's always so much choice.

Mrs Ant makes as good curry, she'll off knock me up a big pot that lasts for days. She doesn't let me keep eating if she finds out its gone furry, but with curry a quick mix and that's not a problem.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:46 am

I love the starter Prawn Puri, often get that. Some takeaways its fricking massive

My wifes family often go for the super dull 'only invented for the english' chicken tikka masala which is sooooooo bland. And meat samosas (boring !)

Enjoy trying different starters, curry just tastes amazing the day after when you microwave up the rest the following lunchtime

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 am

I love hot curries, however I had a really hot vindaloo once and it gave me a nose bleed whilst eating it and yes, I did finish it.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 am

A few years ago I had a Lamb Dhansak in a little Dutch place that wins loads of awards. I asked them to make it a bit hotter and they went way over the top, making me sweat buckets - but it was the most delicious curry I'd ever tasted. And I really didn't suffer too many 'after effects'. Or maybe it just perfectly balanced the constipating action of a week of Dutch food. And sadly I'm unlikely ever to go back that way again.

I also know a Greek place that does a blindingly spicy hotpot starter of local sausage, mushrooms, onions and feta. Always a highlight of the holiday. There's a really good Indian restaurant on Corfu too, but I'm always miles away from it. I've only tried their stuff when they catered for an art sale I blagged into. Zakynthos has a brilliant place with a Chinese and Indian menu, although nothing there tastes like it's been properly slow-cooked. And it's in a resort that's gone over to the yobs.

But somehow I think I'm now broken. I can still eat something good and hot, but I struggle to contain it for long. Maybe it's just age creeping up on me.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am

My favourites from the local curry house are :-

Chicken Madras - a classic. Nice and hot - but perhaps not the hottest.
Lamb Rogan Josh - The use of the lamb here really goes well with the dish.
Butterfly King Prawn - Nice and crunch and deep-fried! Lovely with yoghurt dip as well.
Onion bhajis - mmmmmm.
Motor Ponner - Peas with cheese - genius in my opinion!
Sag Aloo - Potatoes and spinach - again - genius!
Sag Bhaji - More spinachy action.
Mushroom Rice - I don't tend to go for any other rice!
Chicken Tikka Biryani - I recently got into Biryanis. A real feast.
Bombay Aloo - Bombay potatoes - what's not to like!

I recently tried Duck Adda as well. Nice use of duck - and it's only medium in hotness.

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:20 pm

The whole experience of going out to an Indian restaurant is somehow just so much better than any other kind of meal. It can be pretty expensive though, so I don't do it very often, sadly.

However, for those who like a hot curry fix at home can I recommend Iceland's 'Atomic Vindaloo', tastes pretty similar to the now discontinued Wetherspoons Vindaloo, and a bargain at £1.50.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Dam wrote:The whole experience of going out to an Indian restaurant is somehow just so much better than any other kind of meal. It can be pretty expensive though, so I don't do it very often, sadly.

However, for those who like a hot curry fix at home can I recommend Iceland's 'Atomic Vindaloo', tastes pretty similar to the now discontinued Wetherspoons Vindaloo, and a bargain at £1.50.
That will certainly be given a whirl by moi, there's an Iceland right near my place of work :D

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:05 pm

psj3809 wrote:I love the starter Prawn Puri, often get that. Some takeaways its fricking massive

My wifes family often go for the super dull 'only invented for the english' chicken tikka masala which is sooooooo bland. And meat samosas (boring !)

Enjoy trying different starters, curry just tastes amazing the day after when you microwave up the rest the following lunchtime
I kid you not, try it on toast for breakfast - hot or cold. It's lovely.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Always go for onion bahjis for starters.

Then it's either

Tikka Chilli Masala. If you like the flavour, but don't like the mildness then go for the chilli option which gives it a nice kick

Piri Piri. Nothing like the Spanish/Portuguese dish but a nice medium curry

Jalfrezi . Nice if you like peppers and chillies

Balti - a nice allround medium curry

Chicken Tandoori on the bone. Always a favourite, but be prepared to pick at it!

As Ant said, if I was vegetarian then curry is all I would ever eat (apart from the od cheese and onion pie!) , because for me Indian food is more about the sauce than what is put in it

It's only puddings that let them down, but then again there are no puddings like good old British puddings.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:57 pm

I didn't eat a curry for years after a bad experience (all I remember is house sitting my brothers place hallucinating badly about me and my Katamari on the PSP, it was not a fun weekend - and almost certainly nowt to do with the curry, but in my mind it got associated), which was difficult as a veggie as it's one of the best go-to meals.

Since turning vegan 2 years ago though got back in the swing of things. Local restaurant does a Chickpea and sweet potato Bhuna which is gorgeous.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 01, 2014 11:20 am

Any new recommendations for curry? I am going to try a new one at the weekend.