The missing plane

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

The missing plane

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 am

can't believe they still haven't found anything yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26502843

usually some trace of debris etc, lots of the papers (and some "experts" on the news channels) this morning speculating on a terrorist attack or pilot suicide!

koopa42

Re: The missing plane

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:34 am

Sad news indeed but it's the sea, it's huge, I don't think people ever really get the sort of square mileage involved and how hard it is to actually spot something.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:39 am

koopa42 wrote:Sad news indeed but it's the sea, it's huge, I don't think people ever really get the sort of square mileage involved and how hard it is to actually spot something.
true, but you would think that will all the modern technology + the number of other ships and aircraft now involved in the search that there would be some sign of what happened.

when was the last time a plane of this size was "lost" without trace?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 am

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Sad news indeed but it's the sea, it's huge, I don't think people ever really get the sort of square mileage involved and how hard it is to actually spot something.
true, but you would think that will all the modern technology + the number of other ships and aircraft now involved in the search that there would be some sign of what happened.

This is what I mean, even with all the tech? it's still a needle in a haystack, it really is.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 am

koopa42 wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:

This is what I mean, even with all the tech? it's still a needle in a haystack, it really is.
Very true.Even going off 'last known position' as a rough guide as where to start the search, the sheer scale of the area you'd be looking to cover with limited resources breath-taking.Plus fact your looking at a sea crash with all the issues of undersea currents etc taking wreckage miles from where it might of settled on impact....

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 am

The thing that gets me (after watching a few docus over the years) is even if they are like just 2 inches off on a start point or something, by the time they complete the search? they are like 300 miles out :? crazy distances and sizes involved

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:13 pm

This happened to a French plane in 2009. It took days to find the wreckage.... and 2 years to get the black box!!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Debris possibly spotted but too dark to tell

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm

A new "Bermuda Triangle"?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Debris possibly spotted but too dark to tell
yeah, looks like they could have confirmation tomorrow, families told to "prepare for the worst" (as if they weren't anyway!!)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:32 am

markopoloman wrote:This happened to a French plane in 2009. It took days to find the wreckage.... and 2 years to get the black box!!!
Was that the Air France one in the south atlantic? That fell for something like 3 minutes. A terrible way to die or lose someone :( . I think most of the bodies were still in their seats when they were found, totally frozen in the cold water.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 am

Yeah, that's the one. Horrible.

As for this plane - Is it possible nowadays to 'fly under the radar'? Seems odd that they had people onboard with stolen ID's and it has just been said on the news that 4 days earlier there was a threatened terrorist attack... :?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 am

They've ruled out the oil slick. It was oil from a ship, not a plane.

It's sounding more like Oceanic flight 815 as time goes on.

Unfortunately, I think it's probably at the bottom of the sea :(
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:This happened to a French plane in 2009. It took days to find the wreckage.... and 2 years to get the black box!!!
Was that the Air France one in the south atlantic? That fell for something like 3 minutes. A terrible way to die or lose someone :( . I think most of the bodies were still in their seats when they were found, totally frozen in the cold water.
the difference with that crash was that although it did take 2 years to locate the black box they did find debris within 24 hours and had it confirmed as from the plane within 48hrs, they have found fcuk all with this one so far :shock: