How many old mobile phones do you own?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

oldtimer

How many old mobile phones do you own?

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Looking through my stuff today ,i gathered up all my old mobile phones (i never throw away) all together ,to my horror i had about 15 phones! ranging from the old analogue days right up to an iphone 4 , most of them still technically work fine.
How many have you got ?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: How many old mobile phones do you own?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm on my third phone ever, so two! There's a Sagem MW 3020 (still gets powered up every so often so I can play MegaBox Conquest), then a Nokia 1661-2 (with a torch on top of it, can't get this one to work anymore).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Only my current phone plus an old bomb-proof Nokia 6100 which I have for 'emergency back-up' purposes. As long as it still works (which is did on last check) then I could just bang my sim back in and use it if my current phone dies.

I had a lot more but I threw them all out in my last clear-out. Think I binned a Samsung Tocco, Sony Ericsson K700i (wouldn't charge anymore) and an awful Phillips handset. It was strangely interesting to look back at all the leaflets and unused accessories still stuffed in the boxes!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm only on my 5th phone. Got my first one late 1999, i was one of the last of my 'group' to get a phone. Just didnt see the point, last thing i wanted was to be contactable by the girlfriend at the time on a friday or saturday night ! Plus it just seemed to be silly ringtones (the same now !).

I've kept a couple of my old phones, dont know why, should just chuck them. The last phone i sold on one of those we buy any phone type sites, didnt get much for it at all but better than nothing. No point them gathering dust. My two early phones they wont even offer anything for so they're just rotting in my drawer.

After disliking phones so much i really do love my iphone ! Got everything i want on it, and yes i do back it up (scary how few people do). Still the one ring tone i'm proud to say, i'm not one of these 'look i've got 200 ringtones on my phone, let me go through each one while i sit on this train....' ;)

Same for txt messages, i txt but not that often, never hit my limit for the month at all

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:12 pm

I've got one old phone, my wife's got about four billion. (Slight exaggeration maybe, although it's well into double figures.)

I used to use her hand-me-downs, until she got an iPhone and I decided I wanted an Android one.

Looking at the collection, all the old Nokias were great for the time but the other brands were usually a mistake.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 pm

I recently bought one of the new Binatone Brick phones for a laugh, but to be honest its become my favorite one, :D

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, I actually use a Nokia 7110.

LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 pm

none I sold them all on ebay a few years ago
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Vyothric wrote:Well, I actually use a Nokia 7110.

That is a great looking phone !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I think there's one old one kicking about, that wasn't new when I got it. My last phone was given away to use with a cat GPS tracker and that was only around my 3rd mobile phone. I'm still using my daughter's old iPhone 3GS, it does all I need - the occasional text or call, the odd game, but mostly its an MP3 player. I'd still be using an aged Nano for that but the phone had a bigger capacity and let me play Llamasoft games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm

well i worked for a phone network so i've owned about 30-40 phones, they have ranged from repair projects to cheap spare ones i owned because the culture there was that phone being broken was not an excuse for being uncontactable even though we had to pay for our own phones.

these days i own about 3 working ones, my s3 mini, my iphone 4 (which i use offline to have spotify in the car) and an ancient blackberry which i use for travel abroad. i'll probably retire the blackberry before going on honeymoon in the summer, might get a nice android phone with better sound quality than the iphone

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 am

Things like this depress me a bit.

I am unfortunately a bit of a hoarder!

I appear to have 10 phones sitting in this room that I no longer use! Probably many more in the loft. And let's not get onto the pda's and such!

I did find today that you can actually buy a android based land line phone! Sounds completely pointless so I may get one (I never answer the landline, in fact I resent having one but have to because I want internet!)

I also seem to be missing one of my in use phones! Maybe it's in the car or maybe I left it at work! it's a 7 inch tablet so I really should be able to find it! (I only have 3 in use phones, my main, my work and my alternative which is missing (and has 2 sims in it!)).

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 am

I just cant get excited by all the new phones around, (except the brick)
I wander around the carboot sales and you see 1000s of perfectly good mobiles, going for peanut prices,and little chance of ever being sold or used again.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:07 am

I don't have any old phones, as in "not used". I have one phone that was forced on me at Christmas 2006 - a Sony Ericsson K310i, so you could call it an old phone:

If I got a new one, I don't think I could have my startup Paradroid anim, or the screensaver one, which are my two favourite things about it. I only use it for rare incoming calls.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:12 pm

I usually just palm off my old handsets to relatives. Ive used one of those phone recycling sites once and I got a few quid for an old phone
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html