Yet another child killed

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Yet another child killed

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:25 am

by a dog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26131934

when will these halfwits realise that kids and pitbulls are not a good mix?

DPrinny

Re: Yet another child killed

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:38 am

Its the dogs owners fault more than the dog

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 am

sky news reporting there have been lots of complaints from neighbours about the dog (vicious, aggressive, mauling other pets, etc) as usual fcuk all done until something like this happens.

good to hear the vile creature has been destroyed, mum and step dad still being questioned by police, lets hope they get nailed to a cross for their appalling neglect and stupidity.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 am

Sickening. That poor baby.

The mum was with her boyfriend - who isn't the baby's dad.

Interesting that she's been arrested for manslaughter.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 am

I was speaking earlier about this with my missus after reading the story. Back in the 70s (missus) and 80s (me) we don't remember anything like the amount of dog crazy stories that happen these days. Sure, media is far more widespread and maybe stories weren't reported but when I was a kid? Dogs were just dogs and almost always looked after? If someone had a dog? they looked after it properly and rarely if ever did you hear of a dog bite ..... and if you did? it was after a kid or a person was being stupid to/with it. I do remember the pitbull stuff (when new laws came in?) but I think that was early 90s?

Anyway, now it just seems like a combination of poorly bred dogs, incompetent, unsuitable, and down right idiotic owners and of course the arrival of the 'status dog'.

I was wondering (not that there would be any way or enforcing it ..... they don't ever seem to enforce animal stuff unless extreme AND with media coverage) should they put mega strict laws on dogs? I know it seems extreme and my opinion may well have been changed since having kids but it doesn't seem to be anything like when I was a kid and dogs were just .... well .... dogs and they didn't maul faces off every other week?

I dunno, maybe I'm just sheeping to the media :?

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

The amount of times my daughter (6) has been chased around the park by dogs only for the only to come up and say they don't bite.

Where is it written that dog owners are allowed to take their dogs off the lead anywhere other than home?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

I know it seems extreme
not at all, there is no question that there should be some kind of license needed to buy and own a dog (if not all dogs then at least certain breeds), the police and local councils should be far more active in getting aggressive dogs off the streets and estates and away from the scumbag, knuckle dragging, retards who are invariably the owners.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:sky news reporting there have been lots of complaints from neighbours about the dog (vicious, aggressive, mauling other pets, etc) as usual fcuk all done until something like this happens.

good to hear the vile creature has been destroyed, mum and step dad still being questioned by police, lets hope they get nailed to a cross for their appalling neglect and stupidity.
But what about the dog?
(Hur hur)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am

The problem is the owners though. We have a staffie, friendly as anything. However when i walk him i see a lot of young lads with staffies and instantly i put my dog on a lead as their dog starts practically foaming at the mouth wanting to attack my dog. Its often down to the owners who have these types of dogs.

I mean firstly the dog (that american mastiff was it ?) they had was illegal anyway, thats the first obvious clue they shouldnt have even had it. But if these types of owners had say a poodle then people would be scared of poodles as they would start to get a bad image due to the owners.

Remember that sad story of that young girl in Liverpool who was mauled by their rottweiler ? Now of course the dog had to be put down but that dog was never walked, it was left to be totally bored in their small garden with no stimulation etc. I'm not justifying it attacking that young girl (she sadly died) but that was due to the owners.

Any dog put put with the wrong owners can turn out to be a horrible thing, whether its a small jack russell or a big doberman/rottweiler or staffie etc.

These idiots seem to think its 'cool' to have a huge banned dog, they dont treat it well, they use it to 'look tough' etc and thats it.

I wish they made it far far harder to obtain a dog, sadly too many idiots get them. You only have to look at most animal sanctuaries and see the amount of staffies/rottweilers to realise how big the problem is, too many idiots getting 'tough' dogs and then getting bored of them etc.

This is another tragic tale but i hope they come down hard on the owners. The 'vile creature' obviously had to be destroyed but the 'vile creature' was turned into a 'vile creature' by the stupid owners. If people did complain its stupid the police didnt do anything, all they had to do was check to see its a banned breed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am

koopa42 wrote:I know it seems extreme and my opinion may well have been changed since having kids but it doesn't seem to be anything like when I was a kid and dogs were just .... well .... dogs and they didn't maul faces off every other week?

I dunno, maybe I'm just sheeping to the media :?
Well times have changed, back then you had very few teenagers murdering people as you do now.

Its all about acting tough, kids/blokes have these 'tough' dogs to look well tough. Its funny as when i walk my staffie, lots of old people come up and stroke him (as in their day staffies were family dogs), its only the young mums who think every staffies evil they always avoid my dog or some even cross over the road !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 am

AceGrace wrote:The amount of times my daughter (6) has been chased around the park by dogs only for the only to come up and say they don't bite.

Where is it written that dog owners are allowed to take their dogs off the lead anywhere other than home?
I agree, as a dog owner i keep mine on a lead mostly, if i'm in a big park i let mine off but hes not the type to go running about barking like anything. Often it is just the dog being excited (you can tell if a dogs barking in a fierce way compared to just a 'i'm having fun/i'm having a walk' excited bark).

Does work a bit of both ways though, some parents seem to start screaming if a dog even goes near their kid, its embarassing. I might start calling the police every time a youngster in a baseball cap comes near me in case they stab me if everyone starts doing stupid stereotypes.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 am

People these days get dogs that they don't have time to train/can't be bothered to. I can only assume that in the "good old days" the responsibility involved was taken more seriously than it is today.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 am

Megamixer wrote:People these days get dogs that they don't have time to train/can't be bothered to. I can only assume that in the "good old days" the responsibility involved was taken more seriously than it is today.
And i dont wish to stereotype BUT.....

That bit of Blackburn is rough as anything, when you hear stories of these rotties/mastiffs mauling young kids its from, how shall i say, not the best areas. Not so many stories of a rottweiler mauling some poor kid in Surrey kinda thing.

Its down to the owners, they dont train/control them properly and they like getting the biggest fiercest dogs they can. Receipe for disaster sadly.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am

Sickening story. :(
AceGrace wrote:The amount of times my daughter (6) has been chased around the park by dogs only for the only to come up and say they don't bite.

This times a million!!!!

My daughter's also 6 & has a huge dog phobia.

I get the same "oh he doesn't bite, he's just being friendly, he he" stuff, yeah well your dog is twice as big as my daughter & she's fukking terrified so kindly keep your slobbering poop machine on a lead.

I might take a machete to the park next time & run round waving it like a lunatic & see if "oh it's ok I don't stab people, I'm just being excitable." is acceptable.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 am

To be fair they should have some parks which are 'dog friendly' and then some which arent, a bit like beaches. Dog owners do need to let their dogs off the lead, it would be ridiculous to suggest they cant. The thing is incidents like this are still very rare, what next ? Banning every single car as more cars kill kids every year etc ?

Reading more of the story, the baby was asleep upstairs and the parents downstairs. Its ridiculous the dog was even allowed upstairs on its own with a baby sleeping

I love my dog to bits but i wouldnt let him wander round the house by himself if i had a baby sleeping in its room. Same for a cat, cats are great but if a baby innocently winds up the cat it'll get a huge scratch, another reason you dont leave them alone when they're that young

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... n/?ref=rss

I mean reading this...

"The MP spoke out in 2011 after police brought a civil action against the owner of a Staffordshire bull terrier which attacked 10-year-old Joe Pickering in Colne after it had been given strong lager.

Later, police took a civil action against the owner of the dog, James Holmes, after they discovered that Paul Ashworth, the man who gave the dog Stella Artois, could not be prosecuted under the Dangerous Dogs Act. "

I mean how stupid are people ?