Is your boss a d1ck?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Is your boss a d1ck?

Post by rossi46 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Or maybe you're a boss yourself who could treat his or her staff better.

I love my job but my immediate superior is an absolute t0sser and my big boss has the bedside manner of a slug, being that he thinks it's still 1978.

Do you get on with your boss?
Thoughts and prayers.

nakamura

Re: Is your boss a d1ck?

Post by nakamura » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I am a good and very fair manager but my boss is a strange one. He is overall a good guy but he is all over the place with decisions and overall attitude. I put it down to the immense pressure he is under in his position, I wouldn't want his job.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:45 pm

The current one is when shes in a mood.

Funnyoknotreallybutabitawesomekindastorything

The way how I got sacked from Safeway
"Team leader" was one of them jobsworth w*nkers that criticizes everything you do, but spends half an hour looking at the end of an isle before doing anything, never said "Hello" just "Quick as you can"
Twas the night shift and due to lack of sleep I wasn't in the best of moods
All night the only words out of him was "Quick as you can"
I was on crisps and biscuits (the annoying isle)
Getting towards end of shift I was no where near done
The bakers came in so the aisle got really hot (near the bakery)
Was getting really wound up.
Jobsworth stands at the bottom of the isle and says "You still not done? Id of had this done hours ago"
I fling a box of digestive biscuits at him and shout "Well do it your f**king self then" and storm off the shop floor
Next night he is off
Get called into the office to explain what happened, tell the truth,
Get laid off

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't have one. He left a few months ago and hasn't been replaced yet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

I've recently 'moved up' a little bit and it's a bloody hard balance to strike. You want to treat the team below better than other managers did and not make the mistakes they did but you also get pushed in the 'bad' direction by higher-ups who demand that you do things a certain way.

There's also the problem of intermediate managers/supervisors being detested by staff for things they have said/done when it's actually come down from higher up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mister Xiado

Post by Mister Xiado » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm in the process of gathering evidence to get a couple supervisors fired for gross incompetence and work avoidance, but in my line of work, that's about like rinsing the mud off of the dirt. The higher ups tend to be even worse, as people are allowed to fail upward, winning higher salaries and more vacation time on the way.

Never, ever resort to even sarcasm when dealing with an incompetent superior. Just record incidents without flavoring them with your opinion, and don't tell anyone what you're doing. You can take the high road and try to have a civil discussion with problematic people, but if they cop an attitude, then submit your report. Be sure to record all of your interactions that go beyond "hello", as well. Try to have at least one witness if possible, so there won't be an issue of the higher-ups taking the side of the problem person, and dismissing everything you've raised. Here's an example.

Monday, June Xth, 20XX
Spoke with Mr. Y about new policy X, raising the point that policy X contradicts standing procedure A. Mr. Y stated that there was no conflict. Advised Mr. Y that policy X states to never do action G, while procedure A states to always perform action G. Mr. Y stated that it was still not a conflict, then took a two hour lunch break, as witnessed by Ms. Q, Mr. O, and Mr. J.

Tuesday, July Xth, 20XX
Spoke with Ms. W about Mr. Y writing up Mr. O for performing action G, in violation of new policy Y, when procedure A still states that action G should always be done. Ms. W sought to speak with Mr. Y regarding this, but Mr. Y was not able to be located, despite being punched into a supervising code.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:47 pm

no, my boss is sound as a pound, in fact both of the guys above me are top notch. Wouldn't want to work for anyone else, tbh. Of course It does help that the one director is a mate and i've known him since 1986. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:24 pm

My boss thinks it's perfectly reasonable to tell everyone in the room about what he thinks are your weaknesses and failings when you're not present, then reprimand you in front of the same people when you arrive.

All your colleagues know of your impending dressing down before you do.
Thoughts and prayers.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

rossi46 wrote:My boss thinks it's perfectly reasonable to tell everyone in the room about what he thinks are your weaknesses and failings when you're not present, then reprimand you in front of the same people when you arrive.

All your colleagues know of your impending dressing down before you do.
Then he is indeed, a d1ck. I can get away with bollocking my bosses if they deserve it. By the same token, if i make a balls-up, i expect (and receive) the same treatment. The difference here than with most companies, is that mutual respect is maintained at all levels. The guys below me can call me out on anything as long as its warranted, as well.

You need to come and work for me :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm

She can be OK when she wants to be, worst bit is when she does things by the book, and she knows it annoys me.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 pm

The problem is that once you become a 'boss' everybody automatically hates and resents you. It's just human nature. Grossly unfair a lot of the time but that's the way it is.
I got promoted to a supervisor role and it was the worst 2 years of my life. I immediately went from being one of the guys to being hated in about 1 day.
You can't do anything right and everybody (and i mean everybody) thinks that they can do the job better than you can.
I ended up nearly having a nervous breakdown and all i ever did was try to be fair to everyone.
It's an impossible task.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

I've worked with some useless and ar*ehole bosses in the past but my current one is great.

She treats you with respect, trusts you to do your work and has no hesitation in helping if you ask. Brings in treats like everyone else and also bought as all a Christmas present (which she does every year but I only joined the team back in May so this was my first one).

She will also stick up for you to higher management and joins in the chatting and laughter, all in all a great manager.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

the_expendable90

Post by the_expendable90 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 pm

There is nothing you can do :P

If you don't like it , just leave :P

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 am

Considering I am self employed...
I would have to say yes

Roo

Post by Roo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 am

I have the honour and privilege of working three jobs. *Sigh*. On balance, they're all OK and pretty flexible with my hours and such. I can't complain, particularly when I reflect back on my experiences with my two previous bosses in hospitality. Simply put, they were two of the biggest arseholes in history.