Every had a nice surprise when buying something?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

silvergunner

Every had a nice surprise when buying something?

Post by silvergunner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 am

What I mean is, and this does not have to do with video games. Have you ever bought something and something else was in the box that you had no knowledge of? I bought a mega cd many moons ago and tooled in the box wrapped up was a copy of final fight and sonic cd. Nice start to the collection that was. Also when I bought a second hand copy of taito legends on the xbox it had all six of the collectible art cards when you only got one random one when the game was bought new. So either the owner knew someone who worked in a games shop or literally bought loads of the game to try and complete the set. Either way I have now ended up with a nice little bonus.

ArchaicKoala

Re: Every had a nice surprise when buying something?

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 am

I picked up a copy of Ridge Racer Type 4 to replace the version that I stupidly sold ( :x ) and to my surprise instead of the regular bonus disk of Ridge Racer enhanced (or whatever it was called) there was a copy of Rage Racer inside :mrgreen:

Now I never played Rage Racer first time round so it was a very nice surprise to be able to finally play it. I can finally understand why everyone was so blown away by racing up and down the huge rollercoaster-esq hills :D

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 am

I think, there have been moments. I bought a PS2 lot of ebay for it to have every game I could have ever wanted for the PS1 a PS2. Kept almost all of it.

However, for me when I buy an old game, especially for PS1 I like to see inside original receipts from their day of purchase, my recent buy of Parodius (which was mint) had a receipt from Liverpool dating 1996 at £44.99; made my day.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 am

retrojc wrote: However, for me when I buy an old game, especially for PS1 I like to see inside original receipts from their day of purchase, my recent buy of Parodius (which was mint) had a receipt from Liverpool dating 1996 at £44.99; made my day.
On a similar note, I like when the original price sticker is on a game :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 am

I've thrown in extras sometimes. Its a nice thing to do if you've a game or something kicking about, or as in the case above you've got some matching extras. It happened to me (can't remember what it was offhand) but it seemed fair to carry the gesture to others as it pleased me.

See also random unexected items,mailing someone a gift without any notification or expectation, and better still keeping it anonymous.

I'm sure someone poncey once said 'it's nice to be nice', and its a change for me ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

I like when you get company inventory stickers on debug consoles. Someone on Assembler got a green PS1 debug from Squaresoft EU that made me green with envy.

My DTL-H30101 E has a Kuju Entertainment sticker on it to as well as a few electrical safety test stickers. Awesome stuff!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Fond memories of buying Vigilante 8 on the N64 for a fiver in Electronics Boutique, only for the dozy sales assistant to put it's sequel - to be released the following week - in the box instead, saving me over forty quid. Shame it was a worse game!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm

I once bought Lost Kingdoms 2 from Gamestation and inside the box was a picture of an old fat man lying on a couch with his nob out. GameStation were quick to give me £20 store credit for the blunder which I then went and blew on mega drive games and a silver gamecube controller that I still use loads to this day.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:29 pm

The company i used to buy Import DC titles (Under Defeat, Last Hope etc) always used to throw in a free UK DC game...which was nice.

:D
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:I once bought Lost Kingdoms 2 from Gamestation and inside the box was a picture of an old fat man lying on a couch with his nob out.
BWHAHAHA!! That's so bad! :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Bought a pre-owned Saturn to find a game disc still inside (crap game but still...)

Ordered a brand-new PS3 game from Playtrade and the seller included a 'bonus' DVD-R with 3 brand-new movies on it(!). Binned it I think.

Had a SFC copy of Super Castlevania IV from a Japanese ebay seller and the outer box was also stuffed with loads of free Japanese sweets/snacks and a nice letter.

Should also mention some of the amazing and unexpected freebies I've had from people on this forum when buying stuff from them :mrgreen:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:
retrojc wrote: However, for me when I buy an old game, especially for PS1 I like to see inside original receipts from their day of purchase, my recent buy of Parodius (which was mint) had a receipt from Liverpool dating 1996 at £44.99; made my day.
On a similar note, I like when the original price sticker is on a game :D
Yes!! I love that sort of thing too, especially when it's from a now defunct shop like Woolies or a local indie that you've fond memories of....or Boots the Chemists!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm

yeah I had some nice freebie games (Including virtual on and virtua cop) added to my order from a couple of import game shops, which is nice. also had a free vmu one time.

I bought a new copy of Rage from Game that actually looked new and not scratched to buggery, even though it came out of their special disc knackering drawer system...amazing true story. even though I was already well ahead on that purchase they upped the ante and gave me a collectors pack dvd with it....bosh! even though I didn't pre-order! i have not opened it or have any intention of doing so. I thought Rage was a crap game too.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

No.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:I once bought Lost Kingdoms 2 from Gamestation and inside the box was a picture of an old fat man lying on a couch with his nob out. GameStation were quick to give me £20 store credit for the blunder which I then went and blew on mega drive games and a silver gamecube controller that I still use loads to this day.
:oops: I knew selling my collection there was a bad idea. Hope no one bought my old copy of Cel Damage too. :lol: :lol:

I jest - but not sure why you would hide it in a game box and more to the point why would you trade em in without checking em.