Save our pubs

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Save our pubs

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 am

We have already lost five pubs/clubs in Manchester in the past year, these wernt censored holes nobody cares about, these where good places to drink
http://www.pubscandal.org.uk/

RetroBob

Re: Save our pubs

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 am

I enjoy a pub as much as the next person, but if people aren't going, what are the government supposed to do, force people?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:17 am

Well, for one they can sort out the big chain pubs ripping their tenants off with excessive rents and excessive pricing. That is what the likes of CAMRA are trying to get the government to address.
Taxation is killing pubs and clubs across the country - we have just lost 2 clubs in Bournemouth/Poole in the last month.
Then there is the 'lost leader' pricing of booze in the supermarkets - but that's for another day.

It would be very good if every member on here would click that link and sign the petition. You could even be saving MY job in the future!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am

They could issue beer vouchers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 am

markopoloman wrote:Well, for one they can sort out the big chain pubs ripping their tenants off with excessive rents and excessive pricing. That is what the likes of CAMRA are trying to get the government to address.
Taxation is killing pubs and clubs across the country - we have just lost 2 clubs in Bournemouth/Poole in the last month.
Then there is the 'lost leader' pricing of booze in the supermarkets - but that's for another day.

It would be very good if every member on here would click that link and sign the petition. You could even be saving MY job in the future!
Also Greenie king

In Manchester we have lost
The Lass - a multi award winning pub
Jez clegg - Only been there once, seemed like a nice place
Kyoto lounge - Never been, but people liked it
Star and Garter - Another entertainment pub, ran by someone that used to write in some games mags (forget the titles)
Late lounge - A place ive never been

Also two pubs near me, while the censored hole ones stay open

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:24 pm

The ones that stay open are the ones frequented by alcoholics, thugs and wasters

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Smoking ban. Killed LOADS of pubs in Leeds and West Yorks. Needs to be a compromise, and maybe if the ganja laws start to relax over here like they are in the US, maybe fun nights out in England could be a possibility again, summat new, can't believe how many legendary pubs have shut down since 2007, pubs are essentially crackhouses for rum-mongers, dens of vice, ffs, working people wanna smoke in pubs, demographic's huge, everyone's sat at home on a night now, smoking and drinking Carlsberg or inexpensive chemical ciders*, sad state of affairs!!!

*Zubr for me, the Poles do some lovely lagers. :)

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Here in Aldershot it looks like we're going to lose the Garden Gate pub soon. Nothing to do with people not going as it's a very popular pub. The landlady, Cally, is moving on and the brewery are likely to sell up.

GetHampshire Article
Regulars at a popular pub in Aldershot are rallying to protect it from potential redevelopment after the landlady announced her intention to step down this Spring after six years in charge.

Garden Gate tenant Cally Brown, 35, will not renew her contract when it expires at the end of March, and there are fears brewery Greene King could decide to replace the Church Lane East pub with new housing or a convenience store.

The Beehive, in High Street, is also facing an uncertain future as Greene King confirmed this week that both pubs were ‘under review’. The brewery also owns the Queen Victoria pub, in Victoria Road.

A group of revellers known as the Friends of the Garden Gate have joined together aiming to protect the pub, and members held their first meeting last week.

They hope to persuade Rushmoor Borough Council to grant the pub, which has been trading for more than 150 years, the status of an Asset of Community Value and are now preparing an application.

The status means any sale of the building must be ‘paused’ to allow the community up to six months to develop a bid to buy it.

Miss Brown said she was leaving Aldershot to concentrate on other business ventures in Folkstone.

“It is hard work running the pub on my own and, to be honest, this year I have not really been making any money,” she said.

“I would be really sorry to see it go, though. People don’t want it to shut, they want it to stay as a pub.”

Friends spokesman Tim Howard, said: “It is a place where all ages mingle.

“The atmosphere is always friendly and, crucially, two other local pubs have closed in recent years.”

One of these, the Lord Campbell, in Alexandra Road, had its licence removed last July following police concerns, but was already due to be replaced with flats when the licence expired next month. The Queen’s Head, in North Lane was also sold by Enterprise Inns last July.

Garden Gate regular and Aldershot resident Barrie Dean, said: “I have been coming here for over 40 years and it is one massive extended family. The area would be much poorer if the pub was allowed to close.”

Dave Evans, a former teacher and charity worker from Ash, stressed the family nature of the pub saying three generations of his family had enjoyed a Christmas Day tipple there.

Jane McLintock MBE, also from Aldershot, added she would be ‘devastated’ if it ceased trading.

The pub is one of only two in Aldershot to be listed in The Good Beer Guide, produ-ced by CAMRA (the Cam-paign for Real Ale).

The Garden Gate has hosted a number of charity events over the years and more than £3,000 was raised during 2013. The pub also features music nights and craft fairs, and has even held a video games carnival and maths and jewellery-making lessons.

If the pub were to be declared an Asset of Community Value, the Friends group plan to form a co-operative and purchase the venue from Greene King to make it a free house.

Council chief executive Andrew Lloyd said any application for such status would be considered on its merits, but urged the group to contact Greene King directly to see if an agreement could be reached first.

He said: “For any business, if the demand isn’t there then it would be difficult to justify keeping it open. But if you’ve got the demand then it can be viable.”
If it does cease being a pub it'll be a real shame. It's a great pub with good beer and, as many of you will know, it is the home of the Video Game Carnival!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Smoking isn't the answer. (well, not directly - Pubs and clubs need to be creative with smoking areas).

Landlords are being screwed by the brewery run companies. Take one of the pubs that is bordering on closing in Poole:

Sells Carlsberg at £3.40 a pint. Is sold this by Greene King, who charge them approx £135 +VAT for an 11 gallon keg. They HAVE to buy at this price.

I sell Carlsberg at £2.60 a pint. I buy this for £81 +VAT for an 11 Gallon keg.

Also they are set high rents by the breweries - and if they make a good business out of the pub, they get a hike in rent or taken over by a new landlord.

The increasing tax every year is also killing us in the trade. Pubs and Clubs have been a great part of the community for a very very long time but are in danger of being just another thing in the history books. :cry: :evil:

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Oh man....that is shocking.....

.....Carlsberg for £3.40 a pint, that is...! :shock:

(Seriously didn't know the pubs were being screwed so badly with the beer prices, almost like this collapse seems engineered!!!! Mental!!!!!!!!)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 pm

"Pubs and Clubs have been a great part of the community for a very very long time but are in danger of being just another thing in the history books"

yup, very sad. I like a few jars in my local but sadly I see less and less going out .

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:05 am

My local is on the verge of being closed. Mick the gaffer is being what I can only describe as extorted by enterprise breweries or whoever they are. He is tied in to their beer, and gets ripped off, plus his rent is a complete joke.

He took the pub over a couple of years back, turned it into a decent place again with a nice restaurant and his reward for that was a massive hike in the rent. It's a disgrace. He handed in his notice and the place was due to shut at the end of November, but the brewery froze the rent at the last minute. Only because they had nobody interested in taking the place on. As things stand its due to close this March. Hopefully it won't.

Eat your nans pants

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I dont have a local here in Canning Town - but plenty have closed. Most of my old locals from my hometown (Xposure Rock Cafe merry hill / Birmingham , The Rock station and The Royal Exchange Stourbridge) - have all become a completely different type of craphole now.

The only pub i frequent in Chelmsford remained my favourite place until this christmas - The Anchor in Chelmsford. So there are holes in the ceiling , the toilets are erm a little less to be desired but screw that , they took away the pinball table.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:Yes-save our pubs from the Hungarian/Romanian menace.
Having Romanian family, I can happily say that I have Romanians using the club I run - and they LOVE British Ale (and Jack Daniels!) :mrgreen:

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:54 pm

markopoloman wrote:
PanzerGeneral wrote:Yes-save our pubs from the Hungarian/Romanian menace.
Having Romanian family, I can happily say that I have Romanians using the club I run - and they LOVE British Ale (and Jack Daniels!) :mrgreen:
Yes-but they are simply luring you into a false sense of security whilst they slip Timisoara abd Stejar in through the back door :D