Buying Stuff You Can Never Use

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ReplayRetro

Buying Stuff You Can Never Use

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am

Hey all, just wondering if anyone else does this.
There are several things in my collection i bought knowing full well i could never use them (normally due to continental incompatibility) so these things just become expensive ornaments
Firstly my Atari 5200, shipped all the way from America, but has no PAL tuner (obviously) was bloody expensive but i knew the likelihood of it working on a UK tv was tiny. In the years i've had it i've tried it on about 6 or 7 different TV sets to no avail, closest i've ever gotten was shakey picture with no sound on my Samsung, considering getting it modded at the minute if i can find anyone to do it.
Recently also bought a PSX (you know the Sony DVR thing with built in PS1/PS2) obviously this is useable as a console but the DVR functionality was never going to work over here (and even if it does there are too many settings combinations for me to ever get it working although i can pick up radio stations with it for some reason if i mess with the manual tuner) i actually thought for a brief moment my 5200 might work through it, but again too much Japanese text for me to work out what the heck is going on

i'm sure more systems fit this category and i could even add others i've bought but will never use (like the godawful CD32) but just wondered if anyone else is quite this foolish too?
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Antiriad2097

Re: Buying Stuff You Can Never Use

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 pm

I have Star Wars singles on vinyl, but no turntable.

For the NTSC RF issue, could you not pick up a cheap NTSC TV tuner to VGA box or similar. I have an old TV tuner I used with a monitor to play games on. Not brilliant, but cheap and no modding required, will work with any system.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh yes I am right with you. I have an Jaguar CD that has been used once and just sits there. Then there is my icade (used for a few weeks and now sits with a bag over it). I have four Gamecubes (all in different colours) they all just sit and look at me. You are spot on Replay "expensive ornaments" I buy stuff all the time and it ends up on a shelf or even in a box.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

ReplayRetro wrote:Hey all, just wondering if anyone else does this.
There are several things in my collection i bought knowing full well i could never use them (normally due to continental incompatibility) so these things just become expensive ornaments
Firstly my Atari 5200, shipped all the way from America, but has no PAL tuner (obviously) was bloody expensive but i knew the likelihood of it working on a UK tv was tiny. In the years i've had it i've tried it on about 6 or 7 different TV sets to no avail, closest i've ever gotten was shakey picture with no sound on my Samsung, considering getting it modded at the minute if i can find anyone to do it.
Recently also bought a PSX (you know the Sony DVR thing with built in PS1/PS2) obviously this is useable as a console but the DVR functionality was never going to work over here (and even if it does there are too many settings combinations for me to ever get it working although i can pick up radio stations with it for some reason if i mess with the manual tuner) i actually thought for a brief moment my 5200 might work through it, but again too much Japanese text for me to work out what the heck is going on

i'm sure more systems fit this category and i could even add others i've bought but will never use (like the godawful CD32) but just wondered if anyone else is quite this foolish too?

Matt, im positive i have an ntsc to pal converter box knocking around if you want to bring it over and give that 5200 a try, i got it off someone with an american ps2 and he used it to play his console over here on an old tv, dont see why it wouldnt work with the 5200.

I buy stuff all the time i cant use, but thats probably more to due with never having time to use it :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Ha! I got home tonight to find the 3 Subbuteo teams I had ordered....haven't got a pitch (or a ball)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 am

mainvein wrote: Matt, im positive i have an ntsc to pal converter box knocking around if you want to bring it over and give that 5200 a try, i got it off someone with an american ps2 and he used it to play his console over here on an old tv, dont see why it wouldnt work with the 5200.

I buy stuff all the time i cant use, but thats probably more to due with never having time to use it :D
Depends on the ports, it's an RF only system so your box needs to have an Rf input aswell as an American Tv tuner. Most of those boxes only do the colour fix for component or composite outputing systems, the ps2 for example probably wasn't using Rf was it? Awesome if it can do it though, cheers mate
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 am

ReplayRetro wrote:
mainvein wrote: Matt, im positive i have an ntsc to pal converter box knocking around if you want to bring it over and give that 5200 a try, i got it off someone with an american ps2 and he used it to play his console over here on an old tv, dont see why it wouldnt work with the 5200.

Depends on the ports, it's an RF only system so your box needs to have an Rf input aswell as an American Tv tuner. Most of those boxes only do the colour fix for component or composite outputing systems, the ps2 for example probably wasn't using Rf was it? Awesome if it can do it though, cheers mate
Not sure how it works actually, bring it over and we'll give it a go

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 am

I was always going to get a 5200, but it would have been S-video modded first. You could try running it through a VCR and then to the TV, that may work.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 am

I think I could use most things when I bought them, but I've probably got a lot of stuff that I can't use now... not the least of which is a big pile of laserdisks and a bunch of 5.25" atari 8Bit floppy disks, not to mention boxes of Atari 8Bit Tapes :?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:09 am

mainvein wrote: Not sure how it works actually, bring it over and we'll give it a go
a chap on amibay has just offered to mod it for me so i'll probably just do that, however if i fight off this cold/pestilence before i send it to him then we can give it a try with your device
Mayhem wrote:You could try running it through a VCR and then to the TV, that may work.
tried loadsa diff TVs and a couple of VCRs

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 am

GarryG wrote:I think I could use most things when I bought them, but I've probably got a lot of stuff that I can't use now... not the least of which is a big pile of laserdisks and a bunch of 5.25" atari 8Bit floppy disks, not to mention boxes of Atari 8Bit Tapes :?
Id be interested maybe in the laserdiscs if your up for a trade /cash etc? :D
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm

I used to do this all the time. And not just with retro stuff. Mainly it was seeing something in a sale that I liked. At one point I had 12 xbox 360 games but no xbox 360. When I realised that Xbox one wasn't going to be back compatible I sold them off. I have been a lot better controlling myself this year though.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Have a Kodak Instant camera, films not been made for 30 years and the Fuji stuff that could be shoehorned in hasnt been made for 5.
Got a Pile of MSX tapes but no cables to play them to the machine.
Got boxes of Floppy disk PC games and no PC with a drive fitted.
Watching you sleep since 1990

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:08 pm

I currently have a copy of Super Star Soldier sat on my shelf which I can't play because I don't own a PC-Engine :( Really need to pick one up this year

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:47 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I currently have a copy of Super Star Soldier sat on my shelf which I can't play because I don't own a PC-Engine :( Really need to pick one up this year
Grab Soldier Blade while you're at it.
Logged out 15/07/2014.