Goodbye Iain Lee!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mancman

Goodbye Iain Lee!

Post by Mancman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:08 pm

After reading his latest column, have to say I'm a bit gutted it was his last article.

I for one always enjoyed his writings. Last months on 'memory lane' especially, I'm sure many people here could relate to that story, also the article a few issues back, talking to his ten year old self, I thought was brilliant too!

Anyway, good luck in whatever you do and thank you for sharing your stories.

:(

rupert

Re: Goodbye Iain Lee!

Post by rupert » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Sad times, I also enjoyed his articles

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Yes sad he is leaving, I did enjoy his page........I still want a signed photo!!! come on Iain send me one.

He is still doing Radio I believe: BBC Three Counties.
http://www.iainlee.com/

I got the feeling though over the past year columns with him getting rid of his gaming collections etc, Iain is maybe looking to just move on and I guess grow up and branch out into different things, something I continue to put off.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Be sad to see him go, always enjoyed reading his column and his last few have been brilliant.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm

bensonrad wrote:He is still doing Radio I believe: BBC Three Counties
Yup - the other morning he questioned if it was wrong to enjoy "Rock & Roll Christmas" by Garry Glitter if it came on at a Christmas party!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I guess that depends if its a children's party he's attending.

He'll be missed. He's misinformed, opinionated, but nostalgic and does genuinely love games. Always one of the first bits of the mag I read.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 am

I enjoyed his writing. Thank you Iain!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 am

Never been a big fan of Iain Lee.
To be fair some of his more recent columns have been mildly diverting, but on the whole I haven't enjoyed his 'retro celebrity' views.
I wish him well for the future but am not sorry that he won't be in the magazine anymore.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:41 am

Really liked his column every month (oohherr missus !)

Mentioned it in the other thread, top marks to him for coming to the Replay show at Blackpool late on when the main presenter (Gail Porter ?) couldnt do it at the last second. Didnt want any money to do it just came along to present some awards and that, spoke to him for a bit, very nice friendly bloke.

Hope all goes well for him

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:00 am

Here is Iain in Thumb Candy for those who haven't seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAo4CZTGFQQ

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Missed this thread. His page was always the first I'd read, genuinely gutted to see him go but interested to see if there are any plans for a replacement.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I like Mr Lee, but I always thought his page was too much space for very little quality.
Thoughts and prayers.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 am

Just read his last article. Thought it was a great topic to end on and how something like gaming can bring unlikely individuals together for a rant :D
Remember seeing him on Come Dine With Me a while back. I spent most of the episode looking out for any games he owned :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:38 am

Black Ridge wrote:Remember seeing him on Come Dine With Me a while back. I spent most of the episode looking out for any games he owned :lol:
He told us its not his house. For the celeb shows they rent places. I guess it makes more sense, so they can have everyone within a reasonable distance for travel or hotels they're staying at.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Black Ridge wrote:Remember seeing him on Come Dine With Me a while back. I spent most of the episode looking out for any games he owned :lol:
He told us its not his house. For the celeb shows they rent places. I guess it makes more sense, so they can have everyone within a reasonable distance for travel or hotels they're staying at.
That would explain how they always feel rigged with the celeb versions. I remember a sink collapsing on Peter stringfellow. Like he would own a cheap ass sink that breaks like that with all his money.
Last edited by silvergunner on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.