The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26890
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:12 pm

So you're now falling to insults?

We know what you meant when you posted.

But, at least from my POV, your assumption that its public and on other social networks doesn't change that you have unwittingly made it viral here (where there's a lot more than 30 people lurking), since its now a longish thread.

Did you expect to find someone here who would like that sort of thing?

Fwiw, I didn't report it. Its very rare I do, not sure I've even done it at all this year. I'm not a fan of censorship. Better to have idiots likethose i the video nice and public so we know who they are and where they are so they're prme suspects when anything kicks off.

Its one of the reasons I think we should allow marches and demonstrations by racist groups and the like. Get them public and we can properly ostracise them.

Maybe that's why some people 'like' these videos, to tag the numpties and expose them for what they are?

Edit: no need to watch it, there's an adequate description up top in the thread.
Nb a degree is not a measure of intelligence. Met far too many thick graduates for those to hold any sway with me (I'll refrain from naming names ;))
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty
Posts: 5576
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:For those of you not intelligent enough to realise, my intentions were simply to discuss the human condition, and in this case how low it can get in light of the video I linked too (which had been in the public domain since last Tuesday, and been around various social networks. There was no other reason.
I don't doubt that your intentions were people's reactions to this video. Though If I may say so I think you're over reacting. :)

I don't think anybody here was trying to make you out to be a bad guy. But you have to admit, regardless of your intentions, you did help spread the video, I'd certainly not heard of it before. Not spread by much here as you say, but then it only takes one of us to then point the video to someone else who then links/uploads it god knows where else where it could be seen by millions, that's how these things spread obviously. I don't think it is unreasonable for people to question the wisdom of linking the video and finding the irony in that by viewing the video even if only to critque it, we still increase it's reach, and arguably inadvertently encourage similar videos in future.

It is a similar dilema when we discuss a school shooting. When we talk about how bad they are and how shocked we are, we give the scumbags that do it exactly the reaction of outrage and despair they want. But then how do we not talk about it, are we just supposed to ignore it and act like it didn't happen?

Personally I don't think the video was necessary to discuss the human condition based on the reactions to it as you intend to do, I think the description you typed later was sufficent. If you disagree then i'm happy to do just that. :)

So with that, on topic, there's no question there are some sick people in society, but I think the internet probably exaggerates just how many legit sickos there are, compared to all the trolls and other people that just want to play the bad guy. I think there are probably many people that genuinely don't actually enjoy or condone the behaviour in videos like that, but under the anonymity of the internet will say they do just to push people's buttons and provoke other people's outrage from their comments.

I notice it offline too, genuinely good people at heart, but for some reason they just want to be that 'edgy' guy who says that shocking, distasteful thing nobody else would say, most of the time it's just 'for a laugh', though most of the time people don't find it funny.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:32 pm

This was always going to be a contentious thread. I watched the video prior to deleting the link and have to say that it's a nasty thing to be getting people to watch - and really not necessary on the forum. BUT it really isn't that shocking. A description would have done in that first post followed by the question - and then it is highly likely that this thread would have formed into a good discussion rather than the mess it has become.

The thread was reported. I also had 3 pm's from other members. There was no 'ban this nasty person' requests - just people saying that this really was not a nice video for a Live publishing forum.

So, shall we get back to discussing the fact that some people are sick or are you lot going to continue arguing so that the thread gets locked?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by crusto » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I think the OP should be given a break here, there was no harm intended whatsoever from what I can see. Yeah, this forum isn't as good as it used to be unfortunately. Could be worse though :D
Image

Eat your nans pants

DoraemonTheCat
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:So you're now falling to insults?

We know what you meant when you posted.

But, at least from my POV, your assumption that its public and on other social networks doesn't change that you have unwittingly made it viral here (where there's a lot more than 30 people lurking), since its now a longish thread.

Did you expect to find someone here who would like that sort of thing?

Fwiw, I didn't report it. Its very rare I do, not sure I've even done it at all this year. I'm not a fan of censorship. Better to have idiots likethose i the video nice and public so we know who they are and where they are so they're prme suspects when anything kicks off.

Its one of the reasons I think we should allow marches and demonstrations by racist groups and the like. Get them public and we can properly ostracise them.

Maybe that's why some people 'like' these videos, to tag the numpties and expose them for what they are?

Edit: no need to watch it, there's an adequate description up top in the thread.
Nb a degree is not a measure of intelligence. Met far too many thick graduates for those to hold any sway with me (I'll refrain from naming names ;))
Two things :

Sorry, the "insults" - I think calling some people "not intelligent" is hardly an insult, it could plausibly be fact. But it was like talking to a brick wall. I kept saying what the reason was for posting it, yet very few (you included) seemed capable of understanding WHY I was posting the thread in the first place. I spelt it out several times and to the point where it was driving me flipping bananas to be honest.

I also didn't think you were one of the people that would have reported the thread. No, I have a good idea. The one person who now NEVER responds to my comments in a certain console thread (I was assuming I was on ignore, which would have made sense, yet the fact that they replied in this thread means that that must not be the case - am I wrong in thinking that if I am on someones ignore list they can't see any threads I have started?

I also like the fact that psj was unwilling to answer my last reply. Rude attitude in direct PMs, calling my nationality out on the forum and just reiterating comments that had already been made by yourself. Good to see this forum is governed by some very professional moderators. As the man who has an answer for everything, I'm still owed one - which police do I call? Do I buy a phonecard, or can I just collect call? :lol:

It's fine. I learnt my lesson in this thread, you can't have a serious conversation about real-life issues without some people "snitching" and then saying you posted the thread without having ulterior motives. I hope we can all have a group hug as it's Christmas (goodwill to all men and all that) :D

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26890
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 am

If you have someine on your ignore list, the forum makes their posts optional viewing.

For any post they make, the forum will show a line something like :
‘This post was made by UsernameX, click here to view it.'

So your always aware of posts but willusually skip them. Having that option does alow some threads to make more sense if others are replying to something a blocked user has posted.

(Btw,I'd forgotten all about this video until this thread popped up again ;))
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809
Posts: 18924
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:38 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:I also like the fact that psj was unwilling to answer my last reply. Rude attitude in direct PMs, calling my nationality out on the forum and just reiterating comments that had already been made by yourself. Good to see this forum is governed by some very professional moderators. As the man who has an answer for everything, I'm still owed one - which police do I call? Do I buy a phonecard, or can I just collect call? :lol:
God you're still bleating on ! I didnt reply as i didnt want this thread to go on and on like your usual huge long winded complaints via PM.

Again when i called your nationality out it was nothing offensive AT ALL. Someone told me before you were american, i like America a lot, the sports/people, had amazing trips over there so what i wrote that time was simply 'i thought you were american ?' How on earth was that an insult ? It wasnt, i dont care what country you are from but because someone said to me ages ago you were american (perhaps not then) i thought you were. But yet again you have to go on and on and on. If you're offended about that then that simply says it all.

But here we are months later and you still have to bring it up. Very strange behaviour (i now get ready for a 7 page essay complaining by DCat as always)

I mean you talk about 'snitching' ? Really ? Pot kettle black !

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: The most VILE Viral - and proof people are SICK

Post by markopoloman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 am

Just before I lock this thread, I'd like to say:

DoraemonTheCat, I know that you didn't intend to offend when you started this thread and CAN see your point. BUT I also understand why people are moaning about it. It is obvious that you have gained a dislike of psj3809 and A.N.Other member and I am sure their feelings towards you are of a similar nature. But we are all adults here (well, I assume we all are!) so why can't these petty arguments just stop?
psj3809 is a MOD on the forum - and although you may think differently, he does a bloody good job deleting spammers/fake accounts and dealing with various 'problems'. After all, it really is a case of me or him to deal with reported posts and he generally contacts me if there is an issue regarding something by you.
Can you guys just forget the past 'he said this, he said that' nonsense and just carry on with the 99.99% decent discussions?

Thread locked
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests