RIP Lass O'Gowrie

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: RIP Lass O'Gowrie

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:08 pm

ReplayRetro wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Had a stupid idea a few moments ago to do a Kickstarter to buy the place and open it as a pure gaming place
<Snip> Read the above post
Hence why I said it was probably a bad idea

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:21 pm

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Before

After

prof peach

Post by prof peach » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:57 am

Morning - Gareth from the Lass here.

Yes it's true; we are closing. The reasons for our demise are many but actually have very little to do with Manchester itself not being able to sustain a scene. The reality is our micro environment has been decimated. We've been struggling since the closure of the BBC in late 2011 which wiped out 40% of our trade overnight. And while the niche events and theatre have continued to do well, with the loss of all that passing trade (and the closure of the City Council Engineers Dept, the language school, finance brokers in Backen House, Levy's Solicitors and continued reduction in the old UMIST site leading up to its eventual closure in 2018) the events have gone from being the icing to the cake and the cake no longer sustained the business. And with fixed costs like business rates etc being what they were, it was always an uphill battle.

Of course, Greene King (who we lease the pub off) could have chosen to fix this any time they wanted, but showed no intention to do so, offering only a token reduction in rent and no other tangible support when it counted. Once this is all over, I'll be free to tell the full tale but for now, just rest assured I won't be touching a drop of their corporate censored IPA as long as I live.

We'll be leaving the pub in early January and I'm working with Mike to try and find CC a new home, together with many of the cabs so people can continue to enjoy these classics in the wild. Some will be sold and this will be via Jamma Plus and the Indoor Car Boot on Sunday, 8th December as well as many of the consoles, games and systems.

After we go, I understand Greene King will be closing the pub, refurbishing it and opening it as a Local Heroes franchise. In other words; an expensive, boring pub that's going to really struggle in a bit of town facing a difficult future. It certainly won't have any of the flair, retro goodies and theatre that made the Lass so unique.

It's sad to think my team with a track record unrivalled in the City is considered not worthy of the thousands of pounds of investment they are going to risk on a stranger (I had plans to convert the upstairs into an 80 capacity theatre in 2011 which, I think would have saved us and the Brewery had green lit until there was a change in personnel) but I always struggled to get inside the heads of these grey men in grey suits who hide behind each other. That said, I'm now more than ready to move on and being on the dole for a few months while I look for work is probably infinitely preferable to dealing with these corporate monkey shaggers on a daily basis.

Alonzee!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:13 am

I be at the Last ever Computer Club at the Lass so see you lot on the 13th Dec!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:58 am

Cheers for coming on here Gareth & filling us in on what's going on, I googled "Local Heroes"...the common consensus a typical review is...
an identikit chain pub with the usual range of reheated frozen food a decent place for a pre-match pint. Don't set your expectations too high and you'll be fine.
:roll: WOW Sounds amazing.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Gutted to see the Lass go, I sure as hell won't be setting foot in the McPub that's p1ssing on it's grave.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:03 am

This is really sad :cry:

The lass has played host most years to our annual sega8bit/ SMSPower! event or get together. Here are some photos from 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2013 that took place at the lass. Thanks prof peach for letting us do this!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 am

Party tomorrow night (Friday)
Lasst car boot Saturday.
Closing Sunday
Morning Monday

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am

That's a shame. Everything I've read and heard about it illustrates that it was so much more to many people than a quintessential local. I wish we had pubs like it round here in Ayrshire.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:04 am

Roo wrote:That's a shame. Everything I've read and heard about it illustrates that it was so much more to many people than a quintessential local. I wish we had pubs like it round here in Ayrshire.
Not just local.

I have had people from all over the world come to my games night

So its kinda world famous