Need some help and advice with upgrading a PC

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

speedlolita

Re: Need some help and advice with upgrading a PC

Post by speedlolita » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 am

You may be better off just selling what you have on the bay and grabbing a nice new FM2 motherboard with an AMD APU chip inside of it.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:58 am

speedlolita wrote:You may be better off just selling what you have on the bay and grabbing a nice new FM2 motherboard with an AMD APU chip inside of it.
If you've got a couple of hundred quid to spend, that's probably the way to go.

Still, there's probably a bit of life in a Pentium E5800 yet that could be eked out by spending £50-60 on a graphics card and some RAM. It's just not really worth much more than that as you could be well on the way to a more significant upgrade.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks guys for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

Here's some photos -

Full picture of the motherboard (sorry its a bit blurry)

motherboard markings with Ram

Another Question(!) I've installed another HDD, but the power cable is too short! (see photo) Can these be extended somehow? I have already upgraded the PSU as it only had two power cables (HDD and DVD ROM drive)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 am

The model number for your motherboard, as you've found, is L-IG41M2. This appears to be a Lenovo OEM motherboard based on the Intel G41 chipset, although I can't find a manual or support page for it. However, here's the support page for the ThinkCentre A70 which is a machine that uses it:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/product ... MIGR-75628

Assuming that's the one, it'll certainly take a PCI-Ex16 graphics card, so shop around and see what you can get.

It'll also take up to 4GB DDR3 RAM at 1066/1333Mhz. Sticking another 2GB in the second slot will max it out, and if you can get the same model as in the existing slot you'll get a performance boost as it supports dual channel.

Extending a SATA power cable is easy. Just use something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/0-3M-Internal-P ... B0021VAAGU

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks your help Matt(and everyone else) the power cable extension will be a big help as the standard HDD is a little small (320gig) and rather than buying a new one, I've got a spare 320gig lying around.

Your spot on too - it is a Thinkcentre A70

As for costs, upgrading etc - As this is my Son's first PC and he intends to tinker and fiddle with it, I'm happy to keep the motherboard/processor as is rather than spending money on it, especially as I had the PC for free (well the odd favour anyway!) I'll be buying a graphics card similar to your recommendations and upgrading the RAM accordingly. Is the PSU suitable?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 am

TheDude18 wrote:Is the PSU suitable?
Yes, so long as you don't go for anything too ambitious with the graphics card. Either of the ones I mentioned before wouldn't be a problem as they draw very little power.

However, something like the AMD 6670 would probably be right on the limit of what a 250W supply could handle under load and you should probably upgrade if you're going down that route. There's a bit of a black art to working out what you need from a PSU, but a good rule of thumb is to add up the peak power requirements of all your components and double it.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

Personally speaking I would go with a newer PSU myself. 250 is a bit of a low amount and it really depends on what you want to be doing.
The graphics cards seem fine that have been suggested but again I'd personally go for something a little more like a GTX 560 or the ti, if you went for that you'd certainly be needing to upgrade your PSU. I wouldn't say the CPU would be too much of a bottleneck either in my experience but if others are saying it might be you'd be better off listening to the majority.

Getting 4GB RAM is the next step as suggested, I'd say buy a new pair of 2GB sticks rather than keeping the one you have and putting in another. RAM isn't too expensive so you will probably find a good deal on the usual sites like scan or dabs etc.

What kinds of stuff do you want to do? Like gaming on medium to high etc?

Also what do you mean by tinker? As in you'll let him upgrade it in the future or dabble in overclocking?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 am

My son asked originally for a 'gaming PC' which is not an option because of the ridiculous cost and I don't want him spoiled even if I did have the cash. He currently has a two year old laptop which every so often I have to give a thorougher 'going over' due to its low spec and duff programs being installed. Also he doesn't understand the workings of a PC and its various components. Which is why I thought using this older PC will be a nice introduction as well as learning in PC maintenance (he's helping me upgrade it) Its also something we can do together which we are both interested in(or at least get him off his X-box for a bit! lol)

My first PC was a second hand (off a mate) 386sx! Even though it was old even then (ran X-Wing like a dream on I had a Cd-Rom drive though!) it was a great starting point for me, from RAM upgrades to eventually building my own.

We've added another HDD, ordered RAM, if I find a better PSU around I'll stick that in, then order a graphics card. Then in time I think we will build our own as out next project.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 pm

That is a brilliant idea mate. :D

I used the living room PC to learn about PCs.

Upgraded the SiS 650 onboard to a SiS Xabre 200. Then a FX5600. Then a Radeon X700.

Added an extra 256MB of RAM to bring the system to 512MB which let me max out Call of Duty 1.

Then the Radeon X700 blew the PSU so I learned about PSUs and replaced that.

Learned about IDE Master/Slave by adding a secondary HDD (20GB) to the primary HDD (40GB).

Parents bought me a PC a few years later and since I've just occasionally updated stuff per year.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

Cheers Mate.

Just a quick update -

Ended up with a XFX 7770 HD graphics card in the end for £60. Not ideal as its rather large (but was convenient to buy) so due to the case design a hard drive has had to be removed. Managed to find a 300w PSU so installed that but then had doubts as that was previously used in a sever thats been on for the best part of a decade. Bought a new one (600w) from Amazon for £18 as I didnt like the idea of my son's PC crapping out on him after a month or so. Also installed 4 gigs of RAM (a matching pair as recommended)

Had a look at some games and their requirements to see where we stood and believe that the PC will be OK for a few years at least. The only exception was COD Ghosts which has a min requirement of 8 gigs of Ram :shock: Which is a shame as I believe the mobo is maxed out at 4gigs but not to worry as he has asked for it on Xbox :roll:

Thanks again for all the advice, this little project has re-kindled my love for tinkering with PCs and in the process found a subject both my son and I can do together. I still kick his ar$e on Worms though!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 am

Some good news for you. Ghosts originally required 6GB, but there's been a patch to take it down to 4GB:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ent-to-4gb

Anyway, well done finding a 7770 for £60 as that'll give it some serious graphical power, at least for the games that don't need a quad core. You're definitely right to upgrade the PSU too, as it can draw 100W alone.