Need some help and advice with upgrading a PC

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Need some help and advice with upgrading a PC

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 am

Hi All,

A long time ago I would happily build and Repair PCs, but have been ‘out of the game’ for some time. I’m now working on a PC for my step son for crimbo. However I’d like to pep it up a bit with some RAM (currently has 2gig DDR3) and a graphics card (the current one is an on-board jobbie)
However for the life of me I can’t work out what type of slots are available to me (PCI etc.) I’ve tried various programs (e.g. Everest) as well as track down the information on the mobo - Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)

Can anyone help me with identifying what slots I have on the mobo please? Also what shots do current graphics cards need? Thanks in advance.

koopa42

Re: Need some help and advice with upgrading a PC

Post by koopa42 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 am

MPM is your man, if he can't do it he'll do you

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 am

Have you tried running cpu-z on the computer? It is usually very accurate in detecting the motherboard in the system.

e.g. an example here taken from my current work computer:
http://i.imgur.com/rqxMRKW.jpg

Failing that, are you able to open the case? as normally the board model is printed on the board.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:26 am

I have used cpu-z to no avail as well as opened up the PC (have to change the PSU on it) I just need to correctly idenify what slots I have on the motherboard so I can (hopefully) find a graphics card to suit. What slots do current graphics cards currently require?

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 am

TheDude18 wrote:I just need to correctly idenify what slots I have on the motherboard so I can (hopefully) find a graphics card to suit. What slots do current graphics cards currently require?
It will be a PCI-E graphics card that you require and based off the chipset your motherboard uses I would say you have at least an additional two PCI (regular old style) slots too.

Out of curiosity do you know what CPU is in the system?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:57 am

Yes mate, its Pentium duel core E5800 3.2GHz.

There's 2 slots - One dark brown, the other white and slightly shorter in length. Also In-between the two slots there are another two 'slots' around an inch long.
Managed to find what I think is the mobo manual (its a tomb!) but still none the wiser!

Thanks again for the help.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:16 am

Maybe take us a pic to identify the slots?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:22 am

TheDude18 wrote:Yes mate, its Pentium duel core E5800 3.2GHz.

There's 2 slots - One dark brown, the other white and slightly shorter in length. Also In-between the two slots there are another two 'slots' around an inch long.
Managed to find what I think is the mobo manual (its a tomb!) but still none the wiser!

It sounds like you've got PCI-E slots, which is good. The short ones are PCI-Ex1, which aren't much use, but the longer one should be a PCI-Ex16 which you can stick a graphics card in.

Given that the CPU is getting on a bit, it's probably not worth going for a high end card, but you could get something like an AMD 6450 or a GeForce 610 which would vastly improve on the integrated graphics and make all but a few bleeding edge games playable on modest settings.

Upgrading the RAM to 4GB will help too. It's not really worth going beyond that as few games need it now, and the sort of ones that do in the future will likely outstrip the system generally.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:24 am

TheDude18 wrote:Yes mate, its Pentium duel core E5800 3.2GHz.

Sorry to be a pain but would it be possible for you to get a picture of the motherboard as i'll be able to identify the ports properly from it :)

edit: I'd agree with Matt_B on buying a low to mid end card due to the CPU age although it was a great chip in it's day :)

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 am

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks for that.

Running from the top you have the following slots:
1x PCIE x16 slot
2x PCIE x1 slots
1x PCI (classic old regular version)

Graphics card wise I'd recommend tracking down a second hand 5770 card as that should work well with the CPU and not be bottlenecked too much (if at all) or if going new then maybe a 6670 would suit quite well

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:12 am

Cheers everyone for your help. I was begining to worry as I want this ready for crimbo.

ArchaicKoala - Thanks for the two card recommendations. I do have a fair budget so I can stretch to a more expensive card if required. Would that help in anyway or does it get to the stage where the CPU bottlenecks the graphics card?

Also (last question I promise!) does RAM need to be equaly paired in the motherboard? And how much RAM would you suggest? I was thinking along 4 or 8 gigs.

Thanks again for your advice.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm

You don't strictly have to pair the RAM but it your motherboard supports dual channel memory - the usual sign is colour coded slots - it'll help if you have identical modules in like coloured ones.

Like I said before, there's not much point in going for 8GB just for games as they don't need it; unless the machine is also likely to be used for things like 3D CAD, video editing or software development the extra will just sit idle. If you were building a new machine I'd recommend 8-16GB for a bit of future proofing but if you're just looking to do up an old one on the cheap there's not much point to it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Just a quickie question Mr Dude!

The info you gave on the motherboard was, I think just the Southbridge-----( Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1) - does it not give a make/model number on the board anywhere? It would be handy as then we could work out max ram/ram type/cpu possible upgrade options etc...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:26 am

Good morning Dude!

Markopoloman has asked the question I was going to ask, if there are no obvious markings on the board showing the board model then could you get a picture of the whole motherboard as that will help with identifying it and being able to give you accurate information on how much and what type of RAM you can/should use (as well as CPU upgrades)

Regarding your graphics card question, I wouldn't bother buying anything better than the suggested cards as it would be bottlenecked by the CPU.

On a somewhat related note, do you happen to know any information on the PSU? e.g. make/model/wattage