Trade in or keep

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Trade in or keep

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for some options on this. I have a few current gen games (50-60) sitting on the shelf doing nothing. A friend of mine brought up a point the other day now that the next gen stuff is out in a matter of months would it not be better to trade them in before they are worth f all. I love paying these systems but now that I have the little one I have no time to go back and play games I have finished, I mean I would love to go back and play though all the mass effects again however I do not have a spare 100 plus hours. I have tons of retro games sitting doing nothing however this stuff is not yet retro. Most of the games are in the £1 to £5 trade in value so they are not worth trying to sell locally or on eBay. From what I can tell I would get around £160 in credit from game, amazon, etc.

So the choice is trade in and use the money on a vita / towards a next gen system
Or
Box the lot up and put it in the loft (I would rather keep my retro stuff on display)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

DoraemonTheCat

Re: Trade in or keep

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Can you not sell on eBay/Gumtree/Loot?

You'd be much more likely to get a better price than you would if you traded them in.

But yes, the value will drop over time, are they old old, as in first wave of titles released when the machine came out? If so, you'd probably get next to nothing on trade in regardless.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:38 pm

is any of it rare or interesting?

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Similar situation with my 360 stuff, pretty much retired that console but don't want to sell everything as I know that at some point I will want to play the games again, and knowing my luck some of the games will be more sort after than others.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Why not put them up here first? I'm always looking to expand my collection

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:13 am

I have been thinking about selling my PS3 but I decided to keep it as a Blu Ray player for the living room. I know what you mean though but I like my library of games and so am keeping everything.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 am

Having regretted it every time I sold on a computer or console years ago, I have always been reluctant to let go of my stuff for quite a long time now.

If you are not planning on playing them at the moment why not put them into storage for the time being? I know with a lot of people storage might be an issue though.

With PS3 games though I've already noticed a marked drop in the price of pre-owned in recent months. I bought 5 PS3 games myself only the other week in a Cash Converters for under €20 - Some of them were games that Game Stop was looking for over €20 a piece for less than a year ago.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, I have 20 or so games that I don't want - they come in on CEX trade in at £240... for xbox, ps3 and DS.

It's just shelf space to be honest, and although I will want these games again in the future, right now I am not so fussed.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am

Negative Creep wrote:Why not put them up here first? I'm always looking to expand my collection
As that is a lot of hassle (as in packaging, posting etc)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 am

I would box them all up and put them in the loft,I do that myself and tend to forget they are there,so comes as a nice suprise when I rediscover them .plus... the value may even go up in time :D
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 pm

most of my ps3 games don't seem to have much resale value. I gave a few to my mate, the rest i put in the loft - apart from a few i want to play.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Chances are if the prices are going to drop on them, you might end up being able to buy them back a later date in the future. I don't really see PS3/360/Wii game going the same way that Snes boxed stuff sells for.

Ofcourse I say that, but my loft bulges at the seams with retro gaming goodness...for that day I eventually find time.

360/Wii wise, I only have a handful of games and have no real urge or interest to stockpile those.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.